Discussion: Gillibrand Marks Official Start Of 2020 Campaign With 'Brave' Video

hahahahahahaha That’s just how I feel right now - I don’t have a choice and haven’t narrowed it down that much either.

2 Likes

She attacked Al Franken because she saw him as a threat to her personal career. He was by far the best senator the Democrats had, imo, but she was willing to stab him in the back and abandon him without a hearing so she could better her chances for the Democratic nomination. She is a backstabber and completely without honor. It is not always the woman’s fault, but in this case it is.

As for the accusations against Al Franken, they were a bunch of B.S. and completely without substance. If Democrats are stupid enough to purge the party of anyone who may have made a poor joke, or transgressed by accidentally placing their hand on someone’s butt in a public while taking a photo opp., then we deserve to lose.

The Democrats’ never-ending purity tests are stupid.

4 Likes

O really? How do you know that?

What kind of threat to her personal career?

She gleefully led the rush to judgment. She wanted the publicity of being the first to place the dagger in his back and it worked to propel her name forward on the national scene. It’s the one thing she’s ever led on. So now she owns it.

3 Likes

I know the accusations were B.S. because I can see a picture and get a joke. I know they are B.S. when they come from known Republican operatives. I know they are B.S. when someone spins a photo opp. into a sexual assault because they claim someone’s hand touched their butt. I know B.S. when I see it. And, unfortunately for Gillibrand, lots of normal, ordinary people who vote in primaries know B.S. when they see it.

She clearly saw Franken as a serious threat for the nomination. So did the Republicans. That’s why they set up the B.S. attack on him which Gillibrand jumped to use for her benefit.

5 Likes

There were more credible accusations than those with the photographs. Gillibrand didn’t stab anyone in the back - she was up front about it and she was not alone.

It’s your opinion that she wanted to take him down to get him out of the way because he was going to be president. Al Franken would never ever ever be elected president. Ever. We’ve seen too much Stuart Smalley.

Look at the field she’s running against - almost 25 people. If she really wanted to get a serious contender out of her way she would have been far better off poisoning Kamala Harris.

2 Likes

About exploring. Follow the money.

The exploratory committee has been around for decades, and technically it creates a legal shell for a candidate who expects to spend more than $5,000 while contemplating an actual run. Under the rules, exploratory money may be raised without the full disclosure of sources required of true candidates. Only when the candidate drops the exploratory label does the full responsibility of transparency apply.

Candidates use an exploratory committee as not only a transitional phase for their bookkeeping but as an extra claim on media attention. Some of the most skillful handlers like to leak word that their candidate is testing the waters, then leak word that he or she is thinking about forming an exploratory committee. Additional “news” can be made when the same candidate actually forms such a committee and registers with the Federal Election Commission. Yet a fourth round of attention may be generated when the word exploratory gets dropped from the committee filing.

2 Likes

The pages of the troll handbook got stuck together and the poster accidentally flipped to “Cut ‘n’ Paste Biden Smears” by mistake.

This is what happens when the previous shift’s occupant eats at one’s desk at the troll farm.

6 Likes

Bill Clinton enabled by Anita Hill? You got it turned around. It was Joe Biden another presidential wannabe who enabled Clarence Thomas by talking and talking and preventing Hill’s witnesses from coming forward. Biden also talked at Alito during his confirmation for 30 minutes leaving Alito five minutes to respond.

1 Like

Maybe he’s part of the Troll Troika which includes go2goal and maxie who made mercifully brief appearances yesterday.

2 Likes

We’re 'splaining as fast as we can.

1 Like

I’m in the whatever camp. Recent polling shows Gillibrand barely on the radar. She and Tulsi are duking it out for last place.

And she still has no endorsements.

1 Like

Her personal career is in the tank.

A Quinnipiac University poll of registered New York voters released Tuesday [January 22, 2019] found the Troy Democrat is at her lowest ratings for job approval (46 percent) and favorability (41 percent) in nearly a decade. Additionally, among potential New Yorkers running for president on the Democratic line, she is the third choice.

@tena @spencersmom

2 Likes

I don’t like seeing Biden and Sanders leading, and I’m going to tell myself it’s name recognition and not genuine enthusiasm.

5 Likes

I agree. They are both non-starters for me. I’ve been accused of ageism but I do not want our next president to spend the majority of his 1st term in his 80’s.

ETA - I am using the male pronoun because we’re talking about Biden/Sanders not because I believe or want our next president to be male.

3 Likes

So far I’m supportive of Harris, but I was told by a TPMer the other day she was unelectable for reasons only he agreed with. WTF? There hasn’t been a primary or an official caucus result.

3 Likes

It’a funny thing when he and she are being discussed. For me rather than writing he and she every time I resort to they which I don’t like, but it’s a shortcut.

A MSNBC talker mentioned the possibility of a Biden/Beto ticket in which oldster Biden agrees to not run in four years leaving the field clear for youngster Beto after him. What president happily drops out to turn the reins over to anyone? We’re fast approaching the full tilt campaign silly season if we’re not there yet.

2 Likes

Gillibrand will be gone sooner than later.

And @spencersmom

I think it’s name recognition and it just illustrates how early in the process it all is.

3 Likes

That’s reflected in the fact that I don’t talk politics with anyone else I know, including neighbors, family or people I regularly see as I’m walking around a park. Just here. They’re just not into politics like we are, not a criticism but a truism, though they do come alive in the months preceding an election.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available