Discussion: Gillibrand Marks Official Start Of 2020 Campaign With 'Brave' Video

I like her. Second to Harris on my list at the moment.

5 Likes

Gillibrand Marks Official Start Of 2020 Campaign

Good. Let her discuss and be questioned about her platform and her record.

On a related note: The more women running for office the better.

8 Likes

Nice ad. Too bad she lost me when she turned Al Franken into a human sacrifice on the alter of her career.

17 Likes

This is a really good video. Good themes. I hope she gets a solid look from primary voters.

7 Likes

Good ad.

2 Likes

Two words: Al Franken.

8 Likes

It’s so funny, this whole explorer commission vs official announcement. I’ve been considering Gillibrand in the race since she made that Colbert appearance.

I’m not a fan of hers, she’s #7 on my list but, this could change.

1 Like

I could give her a pass on Al Franken because that was going to happen anyway. I can’t give her a pass on her voting record when she represented a smaller part of NY state. I don’t see how she gets past that, in a field like the current one with so many progressive candidates without that baggage.

I know there is an argument that she was just representing the voters when she suddenly changed her views when representing the whole of NY state. But I prefer politicians who are more grounded in personal philosophy, not an opportunistic weather vane.

6 Likes

Democrats are going to have probably close to two dozen people running, and surely, the late night comedians will roast us for it. But I see it as a good thing as it gives us that many more opportunities to get Democratic ideas out there unfiltered and direct to the voters.

I think the sheer number of debates Republicans had in 2016 ultimately helped Trump with his “q” quotient, because although he was already well known within certain groups, I don’t think he was really well known by people in red states, who ultimately were stupid enough to be conned by him.

2 Likes

Good. Let her discuss and be questioned about her platform and her record.

I think she’s doing a ‘Town Hall’ with Chris Hayes tomorrow night. Or was that last Monday? Either way, I have better things to do.

2 Likes

It’s so funny, this whole explorer commission vs official announcement

I always liked the ‘Listening Tour’ idea. Good imagery w/o committing to anything.

2 Likes

You are correct, it is tomorrow at 8pm

First, Gillibrand was not furthering her career when she spoke out about Al Franken. She was doing what the video says, being brave in support of an evolution to better values and behavior. And she paid a price for that bravery because Franken is a popular guy.
Second, the person who made the decision to resign was not Gillibrand. It was Franken. I myself wish he had hung on and weathered the storm. And I wish he could find his way back into public service. But it’s not fair to blame Gillibrand for his possibly panicked and/or premature decision, It’s not always the woman’s fault.

6 Likes

Next week she will announce again she is running.

3 Likes

At least she has declared. Biden on the other hand has declared maybe every other day.

3 Likes

Very well said x millions.

1 Like

Agreed! The anti-Gillibrand Franken narrative makes it seem like he had no agency, no choices, which is bull.

4 Likes

She’s not my candidate, not even in my top 3, but this video is terrific. The DNC might do well to take its themes & run with them - very inspiring.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available