Discussion: Flaunting Federal Courts On Voter ID Isn't Helping Texas' Legal Defense

2 Likes

"Blatantly discriminatory evasions of federal decrees are rare,” Roberts wrote, quoting a previous decision of his that laid the groundwork for Shelby. “The tests and devices that blocked ballot access have been forbidden nationwide for over 40 years.”
And yet CJ Roberts here it is, you were wrong, and now what are you going to do about it?

21 Likes

“Flouting”

9 Likes

It can’t be “wrong” when it was never intended as a factual statement, only to seem like one to those without secret decoders.

3 Likes

Thank you!! Sweet Jeebus on a Rits cracker. Don’t they teach readin’ and writin’ and thesaurusizing at Georgetown!!

4 Likes
Flaunting Federal Courts On Voter ID Isn't Helping Texas' Legal Defense

Flaunting Flouting

EDIT: It has been (quickly) fixed.

<Emily_Litella>
Never mind.
</Emily_Litella>

3 Likes

Ouch! Such a blatant mistake, in your top headline no less, is not what I’ve come to expect in this fine news site. Please fix; my eyes are bleeding…

1 Like

“Lock them up” “Lock them up”

(No, not writers who confuse flaunt and flout)

3 Likes

I’m likely the ten kabillionth commenter to note that Roberts’ ‘logic’ is simple, Hey, this law we’ve had on the books for a half century has worked so well, we don’t need it anymore!

No articulation at all on even the mere possibility that the reason things have gone so well is because the law was in place.

It’s not quite like saying The rate of sex assaults has gone down steadily over the last 20 years, so let’s repeal the prohibition against rape (or arsons, or bank robberies, or murders, all of those work pretty much just as well). It’s more akin to a federal law prohibiting states choosing to tolerate enslaving people of color. Hey, everyone: we haven’t had slavery for over 150 years. Clearly there’s no need for the 13th Amendment any more!

15 Likes

My county in Texas posted the correct signs, but there were no verbal announcements regarding IDs. They did ask those in line to make sure that their addresses had not changed and offered change of address forms. Bexar county is democratic and has a large Hispanic population. Perhaps there were incentive to be less vigilant there.

I had a student (college age) who went to vote in 2008 with a group of about 10 other African American students. They were told at the polls that they would have to wait outside of the polling place until police officers arrived. The white poll worker said the volunteers were worried that they would become violent, and she just wanted to make sure an officer was there to “keep things calm” while they voted. They had to wait 2 hours… in a town of about 35K and 2 police departments (university pd and local pd). Couldn’t believe it - akin to Selma in 2008. Active discrimination does continue to happen at the polls. To think its gone, is to be really out of touch with major swathes of America.

12 Likes

Like they care.

They just want to get past the 8th, make sure the Dems don’t make any advances in Texass, then deal with the consequences after (which they will happily work to subvert, going-forward).

6 Likes

I was stationed in Texas in the early 70’s where, to my shock, every other sentence contained the “n___” word. Texans think they have come a long way, whereas, to the rest of us, Texans (sorry for the overly broad inference) are still idiots.

1 Like

There was a large turn out in my TX town. Much longer wait and a full parking lot on the second day of early voting. I live in a very conservative part of the state and (obviously stereotyping) I would guess most were Trump supporters. I got some looks as I left the parking lot with my Hillary sticker on the car. Houston and other metro areas were seeing 4 hour waits. That probably bodes better for DEMs. Whatever has happened, there seems to be an increase in the desire to vote here. Lets hope these folks stick around for two more years and vote out the wackos that lead our state in the house and senate. Gawd I would love to see all of them gone.

7 Likes

12 Likes

Texas is violating the law. There will be lawsuits. Noted.

But no one is likely to go to prison and the election will be over. As I see it, the Republicans win this round.

5 Likes

The irony is that this sort back-and-forth is just the sort of behavior Chief Justice John Roberts declared unlikely in his majority opinion for Shelby County.

Yeah, how’s that working out?

7 Likes

It would make a real difference if people started going to jail on this kind of thing, I think.

But then it would have made a real difference if people had gone to jail for torture, or for getting rid of 22 million email messages, or…

9 Likes

Really depends on where you live now. The metro areas are really diverse. You find a lot more diversity and a high % of dems. The suburbs and rural areas are the problem. There they reflect a lot of other states actually (Ohio, Indiana, WV, …). The folks that are there have lower levels of education and tend to live close to where they were born and raised. They haven’t moved around a lot - stay close to family and friends, less exposed to those who are different. Both of those characteristics describe most Trump supporters in this election regardless of the state.

That said, I teach a course on class and poverty in a relatively rural location. It is really tough!! This election has been good in some way. Hillary supporters have started to “come out”. There is a sense that the stakes are too high to not be outspoken. Most dems are relatively silent in my area - “my vote won’t change anything anyway” and I don’t want the social hassle. This year that seems different. I know a lot more people who are willing to speak out, put up signs, etc.

Maybe that bodes well for texas - we need something.

3 Likes

flaunt
flônt,flänt/Submit
verb
gerund or present participle: flaunting
display (something) ostentatiously, especially in order to provoke envy or admiration or to show defiance.

Could be both/either???

RITZ. All caps, no “s”.

2 Likes