Discussion: Felicity Huffman, 12 Other Parents Will Plead Guilty In College Bribery Scheme

“They want Singer!!!”

“They want Singer!!!”

“They want Singer!!!”

1 Like

And there monetary loss will be their penalty…

2 Likes

It must have been necessary to make sure people know the tennis coach had worked with Michelle Obama and her daughters. Perhaps to reinforce that both sides do it. I know, it makes no sense in the real world.

9 Likes

So she most likely won’t spend a day in jail.

Justice denied.

Here’s a question … where’s the NCAA in all of this? It sure looks like a lack of institutional control to me and some of these are NCAA sports.

3 Likes

I can’t help but feel that if I had paid $250,000 for one of my kids to get into college on the assertion that she was a rower, she damned well would have learned to row. And she would have gone out for crew and worked at it.

2 Likes

It’s a sad commentary on our society that almost all of the college bribery stories start with, “two actresses and a bunch of others,” rather than, “a bunch of people.” Is that really what it takes to capture peoples’ attention?

7 Likes

Now you can prepare for the light tap on the wrist that they will get from the Judge.

100 Hours of “Community Service” and a $10,000 fine (lunch money to these people.)

1 Like

At the very least they should be forced to fund a full scholarship for some needy kid they elbowed out of the way for their own kid, who would probably inherit a fortune anyway and doesn’t need an elite education.

11 Likes

A friend of mine was on the University of California women’s crew when they won national championships in 2005 and 2006. Not a sport for those that aren’t absolutely dedicated to it.

4 Likes

it’s (AP) - that’s what they do.

3 Likes

“Stanford University expelled a student who lied about her sailing credentials in her application,”

yes, let’s find someone who’s sailing credentials are top rate!

1 Like

Yes. It’s a beautiful sport to watch, but for the rowers it’s all about pain and (related) endurance.

For anyone out there, read The Boys in the Boat, about the University of Washington crew that went to the Olympics in Berlin. A great book, whether you care about rowing or sports in general or not.

5 Likes

It’s not a sport that requires a lot of fine motor skills. It is a sport that requires great balance and proprioception, because those skinny boats make a round-bottom canoe seem stable by comparison, It also requires almost super-human endurance on the part of everyone save the coxswain, The coxswain needs a great sense of time, strategy, and sensitivity to the status of the rowers.

1 Like

Hey, watch it!

I used to sail at Community Boating, in Boston (the best deal in town). We had a brother and sister who were national champions (maybe junior national champions) in Mercuries. They were not from a privileged home. But they were damn good sailors. And sailing is hard. I haven’t got very good at it in 50 years.

4 Likes

It’s the biggest college admissions scandal ever prosecuted by the U.S. Justice Department,

If that was the biggest, I’m going to guess we aren’t looking very hard at college admissions.

1 Like

Imagine how shitty the kids feel.

OK, have fun you old salt.
But a college team? I’m just not a fan of what sports have become to colleges.

3 Likes

Oh, Dana. She wouldn’t have gotten into all this trouble if she had just admitted that she’s secretly in love with Casey.

These parents are being punished solely because they weren’t rich enough. Donate money to a college in a sufficient amount to get your name on a building, and your dimwitted spawn will waltz right in. All perfectly legal.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available