Discussion: Feds Don't Know If Alleged Assange Hack Succeeded

This is really weak. Not only do we not know if Assange managed to crack any passwords, we really don’t even know if he tried.

Just send him to Sweden instead.

2 Likes

“no luck so far.”

He tried.

11 Likes

Well, here’s a dirty little secret: I often say I’ve tried when I really haven’t!

(Not saying he did not try, but his claim does not quite prove that he did.)

Didn’t everyone “try” this in high school?

1 Like

His motivation for contacting Manning just to lie to her?

4 Likes

My understanding is this is beyond Assange’s level of expertise, and if he actually did try, then there was a third person involved.

Now, I am certainly no cyber expert, but I find it very worrisome that the government can’t even figure out if they were hacked and whether a third party has that classified information.

6 Likes

Well, who knows?

I’ve never quite understood Assange enough to hazard a guess.

I do agree it’s more than conceivable that he did try.

2 Likes

Logging in with valid credentials is not hacking and is harder to trace.

5 Likes

Take all reporting on this with a grain of salt the size of an iceberg. The few technical details in the article make no sense whatsoever.

6 Likes

Assange tried by supplying a piece of information Manning needed to do the illegitimate entry work. That Manning also needed further information doesn’t change the fact that Assange tried to make the theft of classified documents work.

It’s as though Assange gave Manning the key to your house but didn’t have the combination for the padlock you were also using. So, at a minimum attempted theft of classified documents.

7 Likes

Pretty weak tea. But I am sure Uncle Sam would like to rendition him anyway, if he can only get his hands on him. After all, it’s important to send a message to anyone else who might be contemplating exposing US war crimes, that there will be hell to pay. I don’t see how the UK can even justify extraditing him, given the grim history of torture used by the USA and the fact that we still use the death penalty. But I am sure they will find a way, just as they managed to extract him from the embassy.

1 Like

Yes, according to Assange (as you can see below):

3 Likes

Hey, don’t look at me. I’ve never even downloaded an illegal mp3, let alone conspired with another person in an attempt to hack into the Department of Defense!

7 Likes

Assange thought if he smeared his shit on their walls they’d let him stay. May not have been that hard to manage to extract him.

1 Like

Meanwhile, Manning is conveniently in Federal Prison after being tortured (again) with several weeks in solitary confinement.

2 Likes

So which one of these guys were you in High School?

Re: Manning

:notes: “Don’t you know paradise takes time? Ciao baby, yeah” :notes:

Soooo violating the Espionage Act is something that the cool kids should appreciate, right?

3 Likes

The headline is misleading. You can hack a system & download a ton of stuff (which Manning did) without necessarily opening what you pulled down. It’s like breaking into a bank (the hack) without having a plan for the vault – but it’s still a hacking breach.

Since Manning provided most of the materials to Assange via thumb drives – not direct access to government systems – they should have a complete list of all materials that were accessed and downloaded logged to the IP address of the machine used to do the downloading.

It sounds like each file was encrypted with a password – where you have to know the password in order to open the document. That type of “lock” has been around quite awhile – and you’d never know if someone tried to open a document that was downloaded to a thumb drive.

IF, however, they were using advanced encryption tied to someone’s identity – not just a password – then there’s a chance to get a ping from the document if it’s online because the identity would have to be verified. Two-factor authentication. It’s also possible to revoke access by time-limiting it.

12 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available