Discussion: Ex-Spy Valerie Plame Weighs 2020 Run For New Mexico Congressional Seat

Does Plame have a constituency in New Mexico outside of the Santa Fe celebrity scene? She seems to have been completely aloof from public affair in this state. If she decides to run she will have start associating with the grubby locals and it will be interesting to see how that goes…

9 Likes

This is good news–for NM (especially those in that district), Plame, and the country. We need an active, aggressive House and Senate that can work together to repair the damage the *resident & his creepy crew have done. And it’s exciting to see that people who have done things other than run for office or sit on boards all their lives taking their expertise to congress.

10 Likes

I would like to see her grilling up some Pompeo hamburders.

13 Likes

Did Richard Armitage release this announcement?

Also, you can tell inside the Beltway city slicker perspective.

Wilson and Plame currently own a sprawling 2-acre estate in Santa Fe,

Sprawling? How about Piddling?

3 Likes

I had no idea she lived there.

I live in Taos part time. Never heard a word about Plame in New Mexico.

3 Likes

What, she’s not just jumping directly into the presidential race? How quaint.

21 Likes

That’s just why this is such good news. Plame seems to have realistically thought about her options and decided to enter politics to do something useful–craft laws, provide oversight as a co-equal branch of the government, and constituent services are important too. The people of that district can decide which dem will represent them best.

9 Likes

I live in NM full-time. Her presence in Santa Fe is no secret. I saw her once on a national news’ live cast from Santa Fe.

I suppose she is vulnerable to carpet-bagger qualms. She is well-known in circles outside Santa Fe, in my experience.

4 Likes

I have no doubt that Santa Fe is aware of her. I just don’t know that the rest of the state knows anything about her.

4 Likes

Even famous ex-CIA covert operatives aren’t known for drawing attention to themselves for no reason.

16 Likes

Many people in NM have different experiences. Taos is very isolated.

4 Likes

I agree.

But I have friends in Santa Fe, too. Anyway whatever.

4 Likes

Valerie Plame? Yeah, no. Enough with the dramatis personae of yesteryear. Let’s move forward.

3 Likes

She has no experience in NM politics.

1 Like

Santa Fe is also a rich white people’s place. The rest of the state is very different. Even with the infusion of much wealth, including Los Alamos (one of the richest counties in the US), NM is one of the poorest states.

But it is not diversity-adverse, being proportionately the second most diverse state following Hawaii.

I predict that Plame will flame out early, if she runs.

Personally, I wish we had more representation like Plame, both states-wide and nationally. I’d be proud to have her as my Congresswomen.

But I don’t think I will be riding unicorns anytime in the future.

6 Likes

Yes I know. I have lived in Taos for half a year for 11 years. I am very aware of the difference and it’s why I am in Taos, not Santa Fe.

Did that deliberately. hahahaa

2 Likes

Plame became a national figure after her identity as a CIA operative was leaked by an official in President George W. Bush’s administration in 2003 in an effort to discredit her then-husband Joe Wilson.

Wilson is a former diplomat who criticized Bush’s decision to invade Iraq. Plame left the agency in 2005.

I suspect there’s an entire voting block of young voters who need to be told this multiple times - Republicans are a threat to national security.

12 Likes

Seems to me that Santa Fe and Albuquerque is all there is in NM

Hearkening back to yesterday’s angst about pop music, I most dread that this will be her campaign song:

1 Like