Discussion: Everyone Hates The Idea Of A Short-Term Immigration Punt. Congress May Do It Anyway

6 Likes

I am only fleetingly familiar with Sen. Lankford, probably would disagree with most everything he would vote for. But he seems to have a patina of decency - which is hard to detect among most GOP members of the House and Senate.

That said - for God’s sake - get the Dreamers out of this limbo-hell.

Thanks for the ongoing reporting on these developments (and nondevelopments) Ms. Ollstein.

16 Likes

The gop and the dems are telling these daca people they don’t matter

1 Like

Of course, on the bright side, if they kick the can into next year and the Democrats win the house this fall we won’t have to worry about the Freedumb Caucus or Paul Ryan.

20 Likes

I could be way off base here but I sense they’re starting to focus on a post-wave environment and perhaps even a post-Trump White House. They can’t work within their own party let alone with Trump. Punting the really difficult questions seems the only alternative.

14 Likes

This is what occurred to me as well. The WH will not budge on this issue. There seems to be the will in at least the Senate, Paul Ryan won’t bring anything to the floor not approved by Trump. The problem are a few bad actors in the House and one big bad one in the WH. Well, two if you count Kelly.

12 Likes

And to think, if Trump had not issued an EO cancelling Obama’s policy, no one would have to worry about this at all. If only…

16 Likes

Yes, this is a horrible solution, but it does have one advantage. It would allow the dems to campaign on the issue this fall, basically saying “we couldn’t get a full daca fix because we are in the minority in both houses. vote for us, give us back the majority, and we will be able to get an actual fix done very quickly”

10 Likes

A good theory, but Team D needs to give people a reason to vote for them. Russia and not being Trump aren’t enough. What do they stand for? I ask as a desperate Democrat.

Ryan won’t bring anything to the floor without the Freedum Caucus and their Pedo-Coach Rule.

6 Likes

Huh. You sound like a fucking troll. I’ve heard trolls before, and they sounded just like that.

10 Likes

Sometimes you have to punt to get field position, rather than go for it on 4th and 6. Especially if it’s not too late in the game and you’re facing a stubborn defense (or several real assholes who hold power - for the time being).

7 Likes

I don’t mean to be flippant but we stand for the rule of law unlike the Republican Party. We also stand for universal healthcare, a rational immigration policy, a science based answer to global warming and a non nuclear solution to North Korea. There’s more.

12 Likes

Does a functional government work for You? It dosent function while it is shut down.

4 Likes

Indeed. “I ask as a desperate Democrat.”

Bull crap.

3 Likes

i wouldn’t call that being flippant. You’re telling it like it is.

If there are really some morons out there who, after all that’s happened, can’t see the difference between the two parties, they’re blind, deaf and dumb, especially dumb.

10 Likes

Yeah, if only there were some way for Cadet Bonespur to reinstate that damned Executive order. If only…

14 Likes

The Democratic party has always stood for a lot of really great things. My bitch has just been with some occasional hesitancy on the part of some in leadership to announce their positions loudly and proudly. You might want to find out what the Party stands for by reading the Democratic Party Platform. If you can’t find lots to like in it you are probably a Republican.

5 Likes

So no mention here or elsewhere on TPM that I see, but Nancy Pelosi has been holding the House floor and is now well into her FIFTH straight hour talking about the Dreamers and DACA. This is pretty much unprecedented.

@aliceoll

18 Likes

I am afraid Dems won’t win House if Latinos become disaffected with this move

3 Likes