Discussion: Editor Asks Forgiveness For 'Dumbest Thing' She's Ever Done

And there are those who feel UPLIFTED by seeing what disgusts you.

A reality and an unpleasant one.

I am also concerned about the correlation between that having that kind of mentality and possessing a determination to get to the polls.

2 Likes

Just another example of the mindless viciousness of the conservative “news” media.

If the rainbow beyond the polls approach Obama levels and with Texas currently showcasing the reality of corporate Republican rule…

The Boston Herald is a conservative rag. This woman is simply typical of its philosophy and it practices.

Pretty sure there is something worse.

TPM cut off the bottom of the cartoon. It said something like “Whitehouse intruder got farther that initially reported.”

2 Likes

“Thirty days in the hole.”

Isn’t The Hive supposed to be a venue for more civil conversation?

In what way would any observer of the cartoon know who exactly to blame at the paper? Do cartoons have a credit beyond the cartoonist? No; they don’t.

Why shouldn’t Duval Patrick or anybody blame the Herald as a corporate entity for racial foolishness. She sounds pretty unenlightened. No wonder the daily paper is dying.

BINGO. I like that much better. Schmuck comes to mind too

1 Like

I think my post evinced a perfectly appropriate level of civility for the subject matter. Anything less than outrage towards this kind of thing is giving it permission.

1 Like

It is probably the same impulse which would drive an individual to refer to Ted Cruz’ Cuban/Latino origins or Nikki Haley’s Indian origins.

People who have backgrounds in groups which have received a great deal of oppression would seem to have a cognizance of “how it feels” to be on the receiving end of bigotry.

The case of Nikki Haley is especially galling to me.

One of my first articles I was exposed to as a graduate student was one written by Noel Gist on Anglo-Indians during the British colonial period. These individuals had a great deal of difficulty, in spite of the fact that they were part–British. This is to say nothing of those who were of wholly Indian ancestry (like Haley).

And yet, Haley, sensing that the overriding schism in South Carolina is between those WITH African ancestry (African Americans) and those WITHOUT African ancestry, slickly decides to change her name, emphasize as much of her “commonality” with the racist pigs who run the state and DUMP on African Americans.

People are amazing. “If-it-doesn’t-happen-to-them” seems to be the slogan.

1 Like

I feel the tiniest little bit sorry for her having to apologize and explain that her bosses couldn’t possibly have been at fault.

Because I’ve been at various publications at late-night closing time, and it’s not “oh, the editorial page final proofs got put in the wrong bin so no one looked at them”, it’s “Where the %^#$%# are the proofs for the editorial page? We’re putting the paper to bed and I haven’t seen the proofs? Where the $#@%^$ are they?” (And heaven forfend they have a computerized system capable of transmitting text as well as images, the way the rest of the world has had for the past 15 years…)

2 Likes

Has anyone asked what the cartoonist was going for here? It clearly didn’t work but I do find it somewhat unlikely that it was a simple racist thing. The caricature of Obama is portrayed as being shocked by the comment. But why are the two in the bathroom together?

Naw. Outrage can be expressed without being sweary.

Yes, and genocide can be discussed without bad words.

Take issue with the content first.

2 Likes

It was a cartoon released at the time they were reporting that a White House fence jumper made it through the front door. It would have been moderately funny if the cartoonist hadn’t intentionally interjected a blatantly racist comment.

I’m not buying the editors story that this was a big mis-hap. I’ve worked as an editor with a small newspaper and you definitely don’t let this kind of thing go under the radar. At the very least the layout artist would have caught it.

1 Like

First rule of sites like that - NEVER read the comments

1 Like

Really only two possibilities as far as comprehending the message:

1. Obvious to anyone with sensibility; blatantly racist. Hold the presses.
  2. Thought funny by person or persons who harbor and foment racism privately.

Number 1) did not occur.
Leaving number 2) to stand with Occam’s Razor clarity.

jw1

2 Likes

If you’re intent on using a Yiddish descriptor because the editor has a Jewish last name, I suppose “putz” fits. But is that really a good way to counteract an ethnically, racially or bigoted cartoon by attacking the editor on the grounds of her own heritage rather than plain incompetence? That makes no sense to me, and frankly it’s bad form too, imo.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available