Discussion: Editor Asks Forgiveness For 'Dumbest Thing' She's Ever Done

Discussion for article #228862

Fuck this person. The Herald is well known as being a conservative smut rag and they pushed that cartoon in it because they knew it would appeal very much to their share of the market.

As to the the ā€œsystemā€ failing to catch itā€¦what a fucking copout. Fact: these ignorant conservative fucks come in one of two flavorsā€¦shamefully and inexcusably ignorant and insensitive to racial issues OR blatant unapologetic racist asshat. Pick one and be all the conservative you can be, lady.

25 Likes

Dummy donā€™t you know WND and FOX news is the place for that.

The good racist falls on her knees in cover for the broader group and good of the corporation. What are the Yiddish words for a desk editor not looking in the right bin?

8 Likes

Just read the comments on the herald article!

4 Likes

Other than just making a racist comment what was the point of the cartoon? I donā€™t ā€œgetā€ it.

18 Likes

the proof was not left in the proper bin

Ooh, has ā€˜The Heraldā€™ gone analog?

You should provide a link hehe

The only possibly non-racist interpretation Iā€™ve been able to come up with from that cartoon is the cartoonist was trying to lampoon the nut-jobs who are obsessed w obama. So, at best, a clumsy misfire.

It was in regards to lax Secret Service and how people are able to gain close proximity to the president
Cartoon illustrates how a guy can break in the White House and is able to take a leisurely bath while having a casual conversation about toothpaste with Obama

6 Likes

Stupidity and mean spiritedness on this scale is always shocking. Then the disappointment sets in. I always hope for my species to be reaching for the Uber Mensch ā€“ not returning to the cesspool of single celled organisms. Alas.

1 Like

Is it a meshugganah [sic]

1 Like

This CarTOOn SPeaKs to ME on SO MAny LEveLs. OhbuMMEr is BLAck and BLAck peoPLe liKE WaterMELOn. ALso, PEopLE need TO preVEnt caVITIEs sO theY brUSH theIr tEETH. BlaCK PEOPle ARE aLSO pOOR so THEY have TO sHAre baTHRooms WIth WHite PEople AND they HAVE radiaTOR heATING rATHER than FORCED-air. OhBummer STinks As a PResident and THAt is WHY there ARE flIES buZZIng aROUnd His heaD. HE aLSO doenST haVE oppoSABLE thUMBS so HEā€™s Not A man BUT an aniMAL.

4 Likes

Yup, now I regret reading the comments on the article. Kinda ironic. Here sheā€™s apologizing for an unintended racial gaffe and The Heraldā€™s readers are proving in the comment section how the original cartoon hit its targeted audience.

9 Likes

ā€œHave you tried the new sh*t flavored humble pie?ā€

2 Likes

Right. Earlier this year a cousin was appointed the first African American female Supreme Court justice in MA. The comments on the articles were pure hate.

3 Likes

That actually makes sense, but of course a conservative is incapable of making a simple joke without injecting some hate at some group. They couldā€™ve published the exact same image with the caption, ā€œMr. President, can I borrow your razor?ā€

3 Likes

Again. This is what white privilege and supremacy looks like for all those who maintain that racism is dead in America.

You get to make terrible mistakes and decisions. You get to redo your mea culpas ad nauseam. You donā€™t have to think about racial contexts or consider how your words may insult your readers or your president. You can feign ignorance. And your mistakes and transgressions never, ever stain your entire group.

Must be a nice life.

6 Likes

"failed to catch the racial overtones within the cartoon. "

There are non-racial tones within the cartoon?

edit:Ah, the copy TPM placed as the page image on the main page cuts off the caption. It is till a major screw-up, but not quite as bad as just the illustration without the caption where all you have is a racist remark. Come on TPM do better.

Charitably speaking, the point of the cartoon was that given recently security lapses, the President might wake up one morning to find himself rooming with a stranger. The problem with the cartoon is that given that setup, which would make for a good New Yorker caption contest, the punchline was lousy. There was an endless variety of possible funny punchlines ā€“ anything in the world a roommate or spouse might say in a bathroom ā€“ and the cartoonist chose a non-funny one. I mean, who uses watermelon toothpaste? Is that a thing? Hereā€™s mine: ā€œHave you seen the loofa?ā€ You can always do well with a loofa. Or ā€œIs the kitchen still out of hot links?ā€ Or ā€œCan you do my back?ā€

Hereā€™s why I think it wasnā€™t consciously intended to be a racist cartoon, again making charitable assumptions: Because again, itā€™s not really funny. Was the guy who snuck into the White House a tea party moron? If so, it would make sense because the point of the cartoon would be the racist in the tub. But because weā€™ve heard, as far as I know, no such thing, it muddies the cartoon to have the guy be a racist.

Hereā€™s why I think the racial message was intentional: Because given a universe of punchlines, the cartoonist picked the racially insensitive one.

Either way itā€™s a crappy cartoon.

14 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available