Discussion: Buttigieg Supporters Drown Out Hecklers Screaming About Sodom And Gomorrah

There’s nothing in the Bible about sola scriptura, so it’s basically a contradiction on its face.

1 Like

I read that as “stop stopping them from saving the planet”

The thing is, he isn’t chasing them. In more than one appearance, he has stated that he knows there is a certain portion of the electorate that won’t vote for him – ever. Y’all are gonna get of me saying this, but I’ve been in the room with him. What you see is what you get. He is, in a word, genuine.

3 Likes

My Presbyterian church had the tiny shot glasses, in a tray with holes for them…outer rings were wine, inner were grape…

I remember coming home from college, going to church hungover and it was Communion Day…thinking to myself “blood of the Christ, hair of the Dog…”

South Bend is a liberal-leaning city, that’s true. But not 80% worth, by any means. This district just re-elected do-nothing ® Jackie Warshoski (or whatever her name is), and an ancient and calcified ® white guy won the county rep spot where I am, against woman who retired from the SBPD, and who is active in all sorts of civic organizations. At least half the Senate race yard signs around here were NOT for the (D) incumbent, Joe Donnelly, who lost.

And yet, Pete remains popular. People came from downstate to see be present at his announcement on Sunday. My neighbor arrived two hours early and was about 150 people away from the front of the line when they closed the indoor venue. A large crowd (1500, I think?) stayed outside IN THE (cold, cold) RAIN. (It snowed later in the afternoon.)

Of course Pete will have to win over 2016 ® voters who are not from around here. But to dismiss his second term win (by a landslide) because South Bend LEANS left is underestimating his appeal.

3 Likes

Will love to see him on the debate stage.

2 Likes

He’s courting Trump voters. The biggest weakness I see in Pete is he oversimplifies and creates faux narratives in order to make himself look moderate. In the process, he marginalizes the party, and our history. I have found him to be wafer thin in terms of substance.

It is completely clear - Sodom was destroyed because of its failure to be charitable to orphans and widows. In fact, G-d said to Abraham, if he could find 10 righteous people there, it would not be destroyed. So the easy thing for those concerned is to be righteous themselves. That’s all that is asked.

Great, now why don’t “y’all” tell us what he stands for that can’t fit on a bumper sticker.

A woman beat him 3 million times over last time. Bur for 77K morons in the right place, and barely literate electors, we wouldn’t be having this conversation. This is not an uphill battle.

1 Like

Very true, and I hate that I sometimes forget that.

I hate it more when apologists flagrantly state that “the American people elected Trump”.

This is absolutely wrong. He did not offer his daughters to save his own skin. He was beyond appalled that the mob wanted him to violate something very sacred (protection of strangers under his roof) that he responds with something shocking of his own: “Take my daughters, they have not known a man.” His gambit fails because no one is shocked into reality. It’s clear he knows this is a terrible thing to say, but he thinks it will be self-evident and snap them back. Not one bit. This just underscores the dialogue Abraham has with God before this entire episode: “Will you destroy if there are X righteous…?” Apparently, nothing could sway the mob at all, and there wasn’t a single good person among them. (Sounds like the GOP convention.)

His daughters are the ones who got him drunk to get pregnant by him, as they were certain that all the world was dead and they were the last survivors of mankind.

Otherwise, I’m fairly indifferent to Semitic fairy tales.

1 Like

Huh? Please explain.

1 Like

Yep, that’s a couple of verses for Mayor Pete to commit to memory. And the next time someone asks him what his favorite Bible verse is, that’s what he should quote. And every time he gets heckled with S&G MAGATs, he should throw it right back in their faces. They are the actual Sodomites.

I like my Semitic fairy tales (they’re mine, after all) and I agree with 99% of what’s here. The only quibble is Lot’s motivations. They are open to interpretation, and they have indeed been interpreted :slight_smile: Lots of commentators come down on various sides of the “why did Lot do this” question. Saving himself is one. Saving his guests is another. Shocking them into reality is yet another. Ancient Near Eastern “hospitality” and “bargaining” practice is another (Richard Elliott Friedman mentions this – the idea is to make an extravagant offer that nobody expects will actually be accepted; a counterpart being Efron’s offer to “give” the field with the Machpelah burial caves to Abraham; everyone knew he wasn’t serious, but that was the protocol.)

But as for the rest of it – yeah.

Heh :slight_smile: Or CPAC. Or both…

It would be great to do a protest there – a bunch of people carrying signs of the Ezekiel verses @jlady and @tiowally quoted, decrying the whole damn convention as Sodomites :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

You didn’t vote for Obama? Or Clinton?

1 Like

It’s not?

So which states do we easily re-take in 2020?

MI? PA? WI? FL?

Wow. You really don’t like him do you?

I made a contribution to him b/c I do think he belongs on the debate stage. But as I’ve heard more, I find him to be lacking in substance. He oversimplifies issues in order to pander to Republicans and in doing so erases needed allies.

For example, when he talked about Republicans presenting their values and winning on values and implied that Dems have not done so, I have to say, wtf is he talking about? Whose party’s values made it possible for him to marry? Which party made it possible for minorities and women (and yes, LGBTQ) to believe that anyone can succeed if they work hard? The Democrats. We won those debates. Republican values led to Trump. He speaks in a way that placates what cable news wants to hear, but it’s not what represents our actual reality. Pete uses his intellectual gifts to run straw man arguments. That suggests a lack of intellectual curiosity and substance to me.

There are just a lot more candidates out there who are far more accomplished. I don’t need to settle for Pete.

1 Like

Welcome to the club.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available