Discussion: Burr Tell GOP Don Jr Left Senate Intel No Choice But To Subpoena After His No-Shows

Trump Jr., the strongest link of a Trump Russia and Russian election interference insight and you want to bury it Lindsey? I guess that makes both of you traitors.

39 Likes

One Republican Senator with a modicum of respect for the constitution.

One.

A breech in the dike?

We’ll know soon.

17 Likes

Burr going offscript. Doesn’t he know that it’s Trump’s party now? You do not question His Majesty or the Royal Children.

17 Likes

Still suspect it’s token bipartisanship.

9 Likes

Don Jr. is a chip off the old block–a liar, a crook, a grandiose view of himself, a coward…

20 Likes

Jr will barely be able to answer

4 Likes

I hope if Jr does finally show up, one of the senators asks…

“Honestly, what’s up with the beard? Why does it look fake?”

19 Likes

Demoting them both to ranking members is at least as important as dumping the Rump. Every Democratic candidate for President who could plausibly gain a Senate seat, should try that instead…

25 Likes

To say that boy wasn’t raised right is to state the obvious. This is what happens when your corrupt daddy bullies others to show favoritism to his kid.

20 Likes

Republican senators advocating against the rule of law. They do not deserve to be senators.

Trump has a way of taking people down with him.

14 Likes

Now The Spawn of Fat Ass is saying he won’t comply if he is going to be asked about Moscow or the meeting at Trump Tower:

My, it is wonderful to find out that if I am ever issued a subpoena I can pick and choose what subjects I will or will not talk about when being questioned. I am sure every mob boss and other criminal will also be delighted to learn this from Don-Don!

27 Likes

Graham’s obstruction of the Senate subpoena is a shocking low.

21 Likes

At the height of the Teapot Dome scandal, some of the dirty deeds gang tried to stonewall congressional investigations. Oil baron Harry Sinclair tried it, refusing to answer questions from senators.His claim … and here’s the echo, was that Congress had no right to delve into his private affairs.

In the 1929 Sinclair vs. United States ruling, the court told Harry that Congress actually does have the power to investigate cases in which the country’s laws may have been violated.

Two years earlier, the court had ruled in McGrain v. Daugherty that Congress does have the power to compel testimony from significant witnesses. To prove it, Congress sent a deputized sergeant-at-arms to Cincinnati to arrest the attorney general’s brother, who had failed to answer its subpoena and had generally thumbed his nose at congressional authority. This was also a Teapot Dome case.

Dirty deeds need not remain unpunished.

I’m seeing a way forward in these cases.

44 Likes

We know that Trump likes chaos, so how long will it be before other Rep. Senate chairmen interfere with committees that they aren’t chairing? Who will show how much they love their daddy Trump?

3 Likes

Yes he does. That is a natural talent and one which is greatly aided by his cabal of miscreants. The only government organ really capable of arresting this is the House of Representatives.

As long as the Executive has sway over DOJ, FBI, Intel and as long as the Senate is now compromised, that is all we have at the moment…plus the Fourth Estate…and before we start trashing the press, bear in mind that, if Trump had the press he wants, we would not be reading these stories.

We are going to have to pull the trigger on Impeachment.

14 Likes

They both deserve a medal

7 Likes

I’ve been re-reading Vol 1 of the Mueller Report and it’s clear to me why Junior can’t testify. He’d have to admit he lied not only about the TT Moscow, but also about the circumstances around the Trump Tower meeting. The idea that Trump Sr didn’t know about the TT meeting in advance or contemporaneously looks even weaker after reading the report. Mueller doesn’t come out and say it b/c he didn’t have documentary evidence or direct witness testimony to prove it, but circumstantially, one can only come to the conclusion that Trump did know and that he’s being shielded by a web of lies.

In general, my criticism of Mueller in Vol 1 is that he didn’t push the witnesses and didn’t draw the big picture from circumstantial evidence. If he didn’t have clear, direct evidence, he exonerated folks. Even when he had clear, direct evidence, he bent over backwards to claim uncertainty over the intent element. I’m still culling together my thoughts for a review of Vol 1 on issue by issue, but my gut instinct tells me that Mueller was afraid of the destabilizing impact that a prosecution for ‘collusion’ would’ve entailed. It would’ve rendered the election completely illegitimate and that would’ve put the US into uncharted territory. That was not really his judgment to make. One can say he was limited by the elements of crimes, but the elements are satisfied in many cases here. He fought against relying on circumstantial evidence and sometimes even direct evidence unless he thought he could 100% win at trial. I think a trial, even if it resulted in a mistrial, would be worth it for the people to see just how bad ‘collusion’ is. But the way he bent over backwards for Junior tells me that he made up his mind not to charge for an election conspiracy or campaign finance claim because it would invalidate the election and he didn’t know what the world would look like the day after a conviction and how it would roil the country. He overthought this issue in my view and it’s one of the dangers of conservative prosecutors and judges: they always bring their world view into their judgments and can never simply follow the law and evidence. They disguise and come up with clever rationalizations to make themselves look unbiased and dispassionate.

48 Likes

Waiting for some GOP Hand Wringers to express concern about Jr and other GOP Senators fomenting absolute disrespect for the Rule of Law. Come on Sasse, come on Collins…it has come to this. The GOP Senate Majority is no better than the Clown Filled GOP House Freedom Caucus that held so many symbolic ACA Repeal Votes and featured Hall of Fame Level Bozos such as Allan West.

14 Likes

8 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available