Discussion: Brexit Campaigner Boris Johnson Won't Run To Replace PM Cameron

I am not so clear on all of this as I do not understand all of the background in sufficient detail. Is it possible that Boris goaded Cameron into calling the referendum thinking he would not do so. He could then have challenged Cameron for party leadership saying he was denying the will of the people (snicker). It could have been enough to allow the Torries to call new elections and Boris get elected.

Now that Cameron has essentially called their bluff and now resigns (in October) he can leave on a somewhat high note. Boris now looks like the doofus he really is. His brand is now damaged to some extent and he no longer wants anything to do with this fiasco he essentially created. The real question is when do the long knives come out for Boris?

The Leave politician’s are screwed either way. Already many leaders are backing off the immigration emotional buttons they pushed to win the leave vote. The voters who voted to leave did so over that key issue.

Speculation and it’s only speculation right now. England might never leave the EU. Cameron by pushing out til October his resignation. Cameron has given the Leave voters time to think about the consequences of leaving. House of Commons still has not voted on Article 50. Already after telling England to get out of the EU ASAP. The EU has now softened that stance. It’s going to take years for this to really happen.

jseny I also question whether this whole leave campaign was not similar to what happened in Greece. The Greece leader was popular standing up for Greece against the debt holders. Thinking the Greek voters would not vote against the debt deal. Then the voters did vote against the Greek Debt deal and Greece had no other plan.

Could some Leave politicians think the voters would vote to remain and were just trying to score politico points? When the voters did vote to leave. It looks like no plan had been thought out how to leave.

Way to go Boris! Make the world’s worst mess then run from it as fast as you can and let someone else clean it up.

Conservatives are the same everywhere.

1 Like

The Fools sang this in anticipation of the dancing fowl from Henley-upon-Thames. Dance, chicken, dance!

Sounds to me that he does not want to face the “music” in the House of Commons because they do not hold back when they ask questions of the Prime Minister . . . He would have to explain all those lies they told to convince people to vote for the Brexit.
For a Scandanavian point of view and a chuckle: http://satwcomic.com/brexit-to-the-right

I think that’s probably about 100% correct. I think you’ve got it. They didn’t expect it to pass and had nothing lined up for the possibility that it would.

How irresponsible are those people? Good effing dog!

I don’t know enough about Johnson to be surprised or not surprised. But it’s clear that implementing Brexit (or dealing with the fall-out, if for some reason parliament decided to ignore the referendum), takes real skill and knowledge and a temperament OK with facing lots of criticism. And, from what I can see, Johnson doesn’t have that skill set. So the only interesting part of this is that he seems to recognize that himself.

But, unlike Trump, Johnson can be happy stirring things up in all sorts of ways. Trump will only be happy as king.

If the EU allows them to – France and Germany are salivating over the prospect of carving up the City’s dominance in finance. Really interesting Twitter thread:
https://twitter.com/b_judah/status/748097437047332864

1 Like

Just have an election. Of course you need someone to run on staying in.

BoJo: Yes, I am the proverbial dog that caught a car.

Yes, and EU officials are in a position to make an example of the UK to deter other nations considering exiting. I imagine the first thing to go would be London’s position as a base for market trading in the euro.

1 Like

Do you think Trump will choose Palin as his VP? We’ll soon find out how serious he is.

That sounds pretty crazy, but with Trump, who can guess?

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available