Discussion: Brexit Campaigner Boris Johnson Won't Run To Replace PM Cameron

He probably realized that actually exiting the EU is going to be hard work and is going to damage the British people to the point that any PM tied to it will go down in British history as a villain. So the SOB wimped out.

3 Likes

That’s one of the differences between Boris and Drumpfy. Boris may be a poncing sod but he isn’t completely insane. He knows when to “Brexit.” Drumpf is so flipping delusional he won’t quit under any circumstance.

4 Likes

Expect dozens of Palin-esque exits now that the hard work phase is at hand, and the easy, nativist posturing and platitude sloganeering con job phase is over.

4 Likes

I heard somewhere Boris has applied for American Citizenship at donnie’s invitation— to strengthen ties between UK and US. And maybe apply for the VP job.

Shockingly the two of them conspired and stabbed Cameron in the back, and yet who would have known that traitors CAN’ T BE TRUSTED!

Sad part is I’m afraid no one will learn anything from this royal mess. Everyone, including Nigel will get away with lying, being racist and scaremongering for their own interests.

I want to have hope we won’t be fooled, but hey we have the GOP and they seem to constantly get away with shit like this.

2 Likes

So in a purely philosophical level (because practically it doesn’t matter) you have to ask yourself which is worse? I’d argue at least Trump is narcissistic delusional and believes his own garbage, which in a way makes him less evil. Boris knew EXACTLY what he was doing.

@paulw: I think between Milliband and Corbyn they have pretty much destroyed Labor for much longer if not permanently. If Tories don’t win by default it may only give rise to people like UKIP or other nationalists.

Did he actually renounce his American citizenship last year? He said he was going to do that but I believe little of his blather.

They just need to have another vote, the leaders of the Leave campaign have been outage as frauds and their promises have been trashed. A revote would easily go to the remain camp, no reason to proceed with this terrible act knowing a majority of your people would vote against it just because they fed up.

Don’t forget Putin, who congratulated the UK on their vote.

2 Likes

Not sure. If I had the choice between Ubered by a reckless insane driver or a reckless sane one, I’d probably pick the latter. The sane one might choose his own preservation in time. The insane one probably would not.

Plus, he got outmaneuvered and checkmated by Cameron, who many assumed would file for Article 50 immediately after the Brexit vote.

Instead, Cameron went all “All broke it, now you bought it.”

2 Likes

Hmmmm…Guardian had tagged him fairly consistently after the referendum as the “favorite”. I knew he is despised by many (and there was a strong #neverBoris contingent), but also knew he’s a slimy, powerhungry weasel who saw his chance.

Did not know this, but that explained the inbred “upper class twit” mien.

Are Britain’s next Parliament and PM really going to drive the UK off of a cliff just because slightly more than half of the people in the clown car think that the clown car can magically sprout wings and fly away?

1 Like

Did he actually renounce his American citizenship last year? He said he was going to do that but I believe little of his blather.

I don’t know…Would not be surprised.
Question-------can the President hold dual citizenship?

Brexit might yet fail.

Now that Cameron has resigned and the leg work of divorce proceeding is postponed several months, a wave of economic bad news could politically complicate the process, which still has to be hammered out by Parliament.

Cooler minds might prevail.

2 Likes

They will probably drive the vehicle off the cliff at a very low speed. That will make some difference. It will alter the point of impact by a few feet.

2 Likes

That is the question.

So one political challenge would be how to nix the procedurally legitimate vote result without delegitimizing the idea of “the will of the people” (even if it’s not binding).

2 Likes

Tricky, yes.

Marina Hyde of The Guardian wittily referred to Sarah Vine as “Claire Blunderwood.”

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available