Discussion: BREAKING: SCOTUS Upholds Trump's Travel Ban

As he always was. Huffpo and Salon giving him a platform despite the fact that anyone who checked on his history should have known he was a Trump ratfucker was unconscionable. But then, Salon is such a goddamn trainwreck these days, and was such a trainwreck during the election, that it’s hard pick just one thing about it.

6 Likes

My comment was about what you wrote.
Not about you.
No name-calling.
No bullying.

Those are your tactics.

Quelle surprise . . . NOT

2 Likes

GLWT.

In the current gerrymandered set up the last nail in our coffin would be a Constitutional Convention.

2 Likes

However, the third party voters live in the real world like the rest of us and are morally responsible for the reasonably forseeable effects of how they chose to vote.

2 Likes

It is funny how you deny (lie about) things that anybody can read, like “no name calling:”

So you continue with your personal attacks, name-calling, and bullying tactics and then flat-out lie about it.

I don’t call other commenters names, write that their comments are “stupid,” or bully them. But you do that all the time.

Perhaps I should just start keeping a list. It won’t be hard.

Emphasis mine.

http://forums.talkingpointsmemo.com/guidelines

Trump: “With interest!”

I believe you are correct but I’d like cite for that Iran bit.

Yes, I agree. Like you, many third party voters DO feel “morally responsible for the reasonably forseeable effects of how they chose to vote.”

And so they vote the way they feel is morally responsible, just like you probably do. That is the way democracy is supposed to work.

It isn’t the voters, it is the system. Trump did not win the most votes, neither did George W. Bush. That is not the way democracy is supposed to work.

But we don’t have a democracy; we have an oligarchy.

You can blame the voters if you want to, but the truth is that the system is rigged.

if there was ever a political T-shirt that met the moment:

https://store.democrats.org/products/we-care-we-vote

3 Likes

I’m actually not arguing with you about the Electoral College being rigged. HOWEVER, that doesn’t absolve racist, misogynistic Leftists from sitting out elections simply because the candidates aren’t Progressive enough. That is a disgrace of monumentous proportions.

I feel some blue language coming on…

4 Likes

I wept when I wrote it.

Listen, Moirai (Fates) … hear our prayers …
send us rose-bloomed Eunomia ( Good Order in civic government)
and her bright-throned sisters Dike (Justice)
and garland-wearing Eirana (Peace),
and make this city forget its heavy-hearted misfortunes.

• Greek Lyric V Anonymous Fragments 1018 (from Stobaeus, Anthology)
2 Likes

That bill authorizing those reparations was signed by RR by the way. How far his party has come.

@ajm

Thought experiment:

If you had to choose to vote for an arch conservative Republican who was squeaky clean or a progressive Democrat who has a history of credible pedophilia allegations from a decade ago, who would you vote for?

What is the morally responsible choice?

What if you could also vote for a squeaky clean progressive third party candidate?

Nope, the third party voters are like Pontious Pilate. They refuse to accept their responsibility for the results of their actions while retaining their own misguided belief of moral purity.

The degree to which the system does not work is totally
irrelevsnt to their responsibility to figure out what their actions will cause in the real world.

5 Likes

It was always the Russians. It was Russia in Poland, Stalin’s police, before WW2 broke out. People still think it was Germans alone…

Not everybody has to agree with who you vote for. People have different sets of beliefs and moral and ethical standards.

In 2016, Hillary was a “can’t lose” candidate. She won the most votes, but lost the Electoral Vote 30 states to 20. The Electoral College was put in place to thwart the popular vote, and that has happened twice in just the last 18 years, and experts say that it is likely to happen again in the Republican’s favor.

The problem is not the voters. They have made the “right” choice. The problem is the Constitution. Not. A. Democracy.

In a rigged system, nobody can “figure out what their actions will cause in the real world.”

The only course I would regard as moral in the current setting this to vote for whichever had the best shot at winning against the Republican — the Democrat or the third party choice. Any action making it more likely for the Republican to win would enable the Republicans to control the legislature with dire results in the real world (and in the current setting enabling an inhabitant of the Oval Officd who I believe to be a child rapist.)

2 Likes

The Constitution has its problems: we are not currently in a position to fix those.

In contrast, there is a slim chance we may be able to persuade third party votes hat their quest for personal purity is damaging the lives of real people.

4 Likes

Spare me the feuding flags.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available