Discussion: Alabama Guv Booked On Campaign Finance Charges, Set To Resign

1 Like

“I did nothing illegal…oh, except for that…”

8 Likes

Good. Next up: Donald Trump booked in a federal jail.

5 Likes

DAMN!!! Why don’t you stand up and fight like a man! I would like nothing better then to watch a Republican have headlines about his lying, and thievery! Oh wait we already saw that in the 2016 campaign…Never mind the Republican Dolts would just think he was being persecuted and his approval numbers would just go higher.

1 Like

Isn’t quite clear, but it looks like the misdemeanor charge is what is getting him to resign, not the affair, not the abuse of power/using state resources (personnel) to attempt to cover up the affair, but a single skipped financial disclosure on a campaign finance report?

More likely it was release of the report, then being booked and finally realizing that this isn’t going to go away, that perhaps despite his position Alabamians do care (an assertion that shows up in the report that they wouldn’t) , and he might as well get resigning over with.

3 Likes

It is no mean feat to be crooked enough in Alabama politics that you are forced to resign from your office.

12 Likes

Not before elevating AG “Big Luther” Strange to the Senate to replace Jefferson Beauregard III, a moved that was considered a way to disrupt the investigation, and which also may have violated state law.

Bama politics, y’all.

3 Likes

10 Likes

The only thing more satisfying than watching this a-hole crash and burn would be if there were photos of him with David Vitter (in his diaper, of course). These GOP fuck-sticks deserve all the trouble they bring upon themselves.

1 Like

It’s always the quiet ones, the accountants, who get you in the end. Ask Capone.

6 Likes

June 26, 2015

MONTGOMERY—Governor Robert Bentley on Friday released a statement on the same- sex marriage ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court. The Governor’s statement is below.

“I have always believed in the Biblical definition of marriage as being between one man and one woman. That definition has been deeply rooted in our society for thousands of years. Regardless of today’s ruling by the Supreme Court, I still believe in a one man and one woman definition of marriage. The people of Alabama also voted to define marriage as between a man and woman. I always respect the people’s vote, and I am disappointed that the Supreme Court has disregarded the choice made by the people of Alabama in its decision today.”

11 Likes

The Good Governor needs some quiet quality time to spend with Bubba who will lean him all about the true meaning of love and how one need to be very open and take whatever is given even if it hurts.

On that point: if Bentley resigns, the incoming governor (Lt. Gov. Kay Ivey) could conceivably order a special election for Luther Strange’s seat. That’s according to the Alabama Secretary of State John Merrill. State law is ambiguous, and there’s litigation pending, but it’s clear that Strange’s appointment is seen as dirty (for Alabama!) and hastened Bentley’s downfall.

5 Likes

Just like so many other elected Repuglicans, ex-Governor Bentley is a true paragon of moral values . . . .ah, yeah, that’s it.

2 Likes

Headline - convicted is not the same thing as booked. Words have meaning kids.

He pled guilty to two misdemeanors as part of the plea deal. So he’s already been booked, convicted and sentenced.

1 Like

Another pervert Republican bites the dust.

1 Like

Deals are cut all the time. Whatever gets him out.

1 Like

I didn’t know that Seigelman had been released from prison after being convicted of a “bribery” charge.
Bentley treated his wife of 50 years the same way Trump has treated women for years. And he’s crooked, but he doesn’t hold a candle to Donnie Trump.

Alabama didn’t like what Bentley did. Why does it support Trump?

I bet they can find another opening in the Trump Cabinet for this criminal.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available