Discussion: Alabama Guv Booked On Campaign Finance Charges, Set To Resign

Still gets his Gov. pension.

He got the better of the deal.

2 Likes

More two-tiered justice.

Which one?

1 Like

The misdemeanor is just what he pled to. He agreed to resign and cop to those charges in return for no jail time and no prosecution on any of the bigger stuff.

4 Likes

No jail time? Isnā€™t that convenient.

If only there were a hellā€¦

1 Like

ā€œI have sinned against you, Lord. And Iā€™m so very sorry that I got caught!ā€

2 Likes

ā€œā€¦and thatā€¦and thisā€¦and thatā€¦and thatā€¦ Oh, you didnā€™t know about that one? Oops.ā€

2 Likes

At least he got a commemorative picture out of the deal.

Thatā€™s an even better mug shot than DeLayā€™s.

3 Likes

So here we have a guy who used the power of the state to try to intimidate / terrorize his wife and her aide, and he doesnā€™t spend a day in jail. Some community service, and stay out of trouble, and thatā€™s it.

That doesnā€™t even count as a slap on the wrist. More like a playful punch on the shoulder, along with a knowing wink.

I think for a lot of people, when they say ā€œthe system is rigged,ā€ this is part of what they mean. Get into a high enough position, and itā€™s pretty much all nerf ball from there. Worst comes to worst, lawyer up, and usually the most that happens is you lose your lofty place and they say ā€œyouā€™ve suffered enough, no need to jail you with the common plebes.ā€

I could give a crap about the affair, thatā€™s between him and his wife (and his lovah), but his attempts at cover-up and intimidation and his use of state resources for this illegal bullying should have put him behind bars.

1 Like

Yes, itā€™s rigged against democrats. That was your point, correct?

1 Like

I donā€™t see what the problem is. All this dude has to do is appear in public wearing a t-shirt that says ā€œRoll Tideā€ on it and BAM! 61% of the vote!

Iā€™m hoping someday to see trump in a similar fix.

2 Likes

Imposing 100 hours of service as a physician is punishment for the public.

(ā€œDr. Bentley, you MUST keep the door open at all times when examining a lady.ā€)

This is what happens when Republican governors live too close to an Appalachian Trail terminus.

And isnā€™t he one of the ā€˜Goodā€™ Repubs. Yikes!

1 Like

For a year, itā€™s been all about the affair. Now its campaign finance that gets him. How Caponish.

Bet his wife hammers him way harder than this, and she should.

To be fair, as Josh pointed out, 3 of the last 6 Alabama governors have now gone to jail.

1 Like

I would really prefer he wastes away in Gitmoā€¦

1 Like

The report also details how Bentley tried to coerce state law enforcement officials into assisting with and covering up his affair. The governor ordered his body guard, Ray Lewis, and former Alabama Law Enforcement Secretary Spencer Collier to try to uncover the audio recordings and to intimidate Hannah into revealing their location.

TBH I didnā€™t read the report, so maybe the evidence of abuse of power was thin compared to the recordings and pictures that relate to the affair. If it was just based on testimony, they may not want to roll the dice on a jury verdict and they may just not want this to drag out for a year.

Whatever the case, he got off easy.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available