Discussion: After AL Abortion Ban's Bad Press, Some GOPers Change Tune On Abortion Access

Here’s the real reason these sickos are backing off of the AL ban, which includes no exception for rape, incest or life of the mother…These Goopers know they still have to attract a fair number of women to vote for tRump, and manipulating the voter rolls, as it relates to women, is a lot harder than merely purging Hispanic names and African Americans, even with Russia’s help the second time around. It doesn’t mean they won’t try but so far using novel ways to find hyphens and other typos in maiden names hasn’t really been as effective as their other voter suppression and nullification methods. Therefore, they must realize they can’t go out of their way to piss off every woman in America with this shit. And those Evangelical women won’t net them nearly enough votes in a general election, especially when we women show up en masse and cast our ballot…which we will…guaranteed. Four years of this asshole will have been more than enough of an insult to our gender. The Perpetrator in Chief won’t have a fucking chance at re-election when we show up, and neither will the rest of his party when the female vote comes out to send a clear message about the direction of this country and where we want it to go. tRump and the GOP have sent women’s rights back at least 30 years. Time to put an end to this tRump glorified patriarchal nightmare.

36 Likes

There’s this thought at the back of my head that these bills might be the best thing that ever happened to choice. Repubs loved abortion politics because it got them elected. Very few of them actually want abortion made illegal. As long as the culture war could be stirred up every four years, and then paid lip service to the rest of the time, it was a boon to the GOP.

However, now it is very likely that one of these bills will make it to SCOTUS, where there are two possible outcomes: 1) Roberts understands the magnitude of the shit bomb he’s been handed, and he votes with the liberals, putting this to rest for a generation, or 2) he votes with the conservatives and the GOP writes their anti-woman, anti-progress, draconian evil into stone for a generation, and every red state that writes this crap into law feels what a true boycott really feels like.

15 Likes

Hang this around their necks like an albatross. That should be easy in the case of Cotton, except folks would have trouble telling which was which, where one begun and the other ended.

19 Likes

Republican National Committee, said Friday that, “personally, I would have the exceptions” for legal abortions in cases of rape and incest…

If you accept that an unborn fetus has the same right to life as any human being and you agree with the above statement, what logic would you construct to prevent a mother from legally being able to kill her grown child who was later discovered to have been fathered by an immediate relative?

4 Likes

I coined the term a while back, but for different matters (ahem: trump): Post-Full-Term Abortion.

4 Likes

Bravo sister!

10 Likes

The idea of outlawing abortions ceases being sexy once it comes true.

14 Likes

They were against all abortion until now? Seriously, they think we are all stupid, TV interviews show them on record as opposing abortion and the internet is forever. At least they are out in the open with their hypocrisy.

4 Likes

And it’s whispered that soon, If we all call the tune
Then the piper will lead us to reason
And a new day will dawn
For those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter

6 Likes

And if the rest of us men actually learned any of the biology about how them female parts work, how a fertilized egg doesn’t always become a baby, just how common miscarriages are, etc…

Might actually realize that it’s a complicated topic best left as a discussion between the woman and her doctor, not via legislation.

We don’t legislate how a surgeon has to perform an appendectomy or a knee replacement, after all.

13 Likes

4 Likes

I do not understand how any of the recently passed abortion bans comply with HIPPA. All of these laws seem to require law enforcement to paw through our most private of records.

10 Likes

“I am pro-life and I will always vote that way in Congress. I believe Roe v. Wade and Planned Parenthood v. Casey were wrongly decided. I oppose taxpayer funding of abortion. I also support measures like the Partial-Birth Abortion Ban Act, the Unborn Victims of Violence Act, and the Ultrasound Informed Consent Act.”

Every. single. Rethug. talking. point. Right here.Forced birthers, every one.

15 Likes

CliffsNotes for After AL Abortion Ban’s Bad Press, Some GOPers Change Tune On Abortion Access by Matt Shuham

"Ghostly white Republicans fear repercussions after the GOP’s long-held abortion goals are laid bare by their Alabama state brethren.

"Seeking political breathing room, they gasp for air while furiously grasping for any straw that might serve as a breathing device capable of keeping them alive as their poll numbers plunge, especially with women.

"National Republican Committee Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel nee Romney fails to issue well-known words of reassurance of HUD Secretary Dr. Ben Carson: ‘They tell you that there’s a war on women. There is no war on women. There may be a war on what’s inside of women, but there is no war on women in this country.’

“There are upcoming elections in 2020.”

12 Likes

So true. Before Raygun this shit about abortion, the pill, reproductive rights was a non-issue at least as its construed today. We went all through much of 70’s with women’s rights evolving to include a right to an abortion based on sound scientific and medical expertise about when life begins. The pill proceeded the issue of abortion, and it was even less controversial among the political class except among the hierarchy of the Catholic Church. Even Catholic women were for the pill back then and for the most part, still are in favor of most types of contraception. Evangelicals were even at that time in favor of those advances in women’s reproductive health. When the moral majority chose to use this as a wedge issue, it was meant to divide the electorate for political advantage and expediency. So long as they could have us fight among ourselves over it being a morals issue as opposed to what many of us felt was a health, economic and privacy issue, they were able to convince some women and their families to give up their agency without any further thought. The entire process was based on political manipulation using religious hucksters like Falwell as their Christianist guru.

15 Likes

Editors note: please add:

Tom Cotton is a Fucking Fuck.

8 Likes

How about a dead chicken?

"Do you know how to cure a chicken-killin’ dog? Now, you know you cannot keep a dog that kills chickens, no matter how fine a dog it is otherwise.

Some people think you cannot break a dog that has got in the habit of killin’ chickens, but my friend John Henry always claimed you could. He said the way to do it is to take one of the chickens the dog has killed and wire the thing around the dog’s neck, good and strong. And leave it there until that dead chicken stinks so bad that no other dog or person will even go near that poor beast. Thing’ll smell so bad the dog won’t be able to stand himself. You leave it on there until the last little bit of flesh rots and falls off, and that dog won’t kill chickens again."

I had the pleasure of hearing Molly Ivins recount that at the Mario Savio Memorial Lecture and Young Activist Award several years ago.

4 Likes

“I recognize not everyone shares my views or the views of the vast majority of Americans.”

This must be Republican statistics. I would have thought that the vast majority of Americans is the same as “almost everyone.” So what’s the problem? If the vast majority believes that life begins at conception then why are these bills controversial? Or do you make exceptions allowing (what you claim to be) child murder just to accommodate the beliefs of a tiny segment of the society?

Naw, just have to track all cell phones which ping near an abortion clinic.

Then can do targeted and fully legal requests for the medical files on all child-bearing-age females who were there.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available