Discussion: 20 Week Abortion Bans on a Collision Course With 2016, Supreme Court

Discussion for article #237052

Waiting for a similar proposal to limit gun rights so there is only one facility in each state that can ‘provide’ these ‘services’; with waiting period; mental/physical capability check; urethral and anal probes; general shaming. They can still buy their guns - just gotta drive to Tyler or Weatherford or wherever for it. What’s the difference between these supposed Constitutional rights? < rhetorical question >

20 Likes

Me likey!

It’s all a terrifying shit show. Election after election the abortion cudgel is used to poison voters against the Democratic Party, yet year after year millions of women still vote Republican! I’d say none of this needs to be taken very seriously until women in America decide to take their own civil rights seriously. Sure some will die in the process, but nothing to date seems to get their attention.

I say if these bans get women’s votes than I’m sort of fine with it. Younger women ages 18-25 rarely vote anyway. I guess they are fine with it too!

6 Likes

Although obviously the “fetal pain” thing is just baloney intended to prevent abortions, note that the alternatives of sedation and anesthesia are completely ignored in favor of banning the procedure entirely. These folks aren’t even phoning it in.

(And if they were really concerned about pain, they would also consider the fact that 20-week-plus abortions are typically done for serious malformations that would lead to a short, horrifyingly pain-filled life if the fetus were to be born alive at all.)

10 Likes

Oh, yes. This needs to be repeated relentlessly every time this topic comes up, and certainly in any Senate hearing. And after all the decades of forced-birthers’ parading around with blown-up pictures of supposedly aborted fetuses, it’s time for the other side to start showing photos of, say, fetuses with their malformed brains growing outside their skulls. Or maybe a woman dying from toxic shock after delivering a dying baby, or long-dead fetus, that should never have been made to stay in her body for months after its condition was discovered. So many fetal abnormalities aren’t even detected until after the 20th week of pregnancy, things that not only endanger the life of the fetus or condemn it if born to the short, horrifyingly pain-filled life you describe, but can endanger the life of the woman forced to carry it to term, or as long as it’ll stay in the womb before triggering a dangerous delivery. Even Ireland’s finally realizing you have to consider such cases. These sick fucks literally value a fetus that can’t survive over a woman who would. Damn them to hell.

8 Likes

If Republicans succeed in making a 20 week ban acceptable, they’ll be seeking a 19 week ban next.

6 Likes

When are Abortion Rights advocates going to try moving goal posts themselves? They’ve been letting their opponents define the battle for decades.

3 Likes

^^^^^^ THIS.^^^^^

2 Likes

We don’t usually talk about this, but before Roe, unplanned pregnancies weren’t exactly a picnic for men, either.
If you ask a man older than his mid-60s or so, he’ll likely have stories of good boys and good men worried sick about the women they cared about and about their own futures, who sold whatever they had that was worth anything to pay for procedures of dubious safety or even effectiveness, who entered into marriages of mutual loathing.
Of course, all this misery and destructiveness might not have been noticed by an closeted gay man.

3 Likes

The issue with “fetal pain” isn’t that the fetus is feeling pain; it is that “capability to feel pain” == “‘soul’ has inhabited this body” in the minds of these religious nut jobs. Never mind that the animals they feel were put on this earth to be slaughtered for food and sport are provably able to “feel pain” and that by the standards of these studies, countless inorganic complex systems “feel pain” by responding to stimuli.

In any case, as we all know, it has nothing to do with the child the fetus might one day become. It is (1) first and foremost about making sure there are stark consequences for sexual activity, (2) in a theologically inconsistent yet easily-explained way about making sure that “souls” all get a chance to “live” at least until they breath air for the first time. Frankly, once you go down (2) you start easy emotional appeals and all thinking and logic goes out the window for at least 75-80% of the base supporting abortion bans.

7 Likes

Obviously. They have been moving that window back with every successive victory for decades now.

1 Like

“[Kennedy] has been sympathetic to many other abortion restrictions and written particularly emotionally in support of the partial birth abortion ban.”

Could we please not use the loathsome phrase “partial birth abortion”? It is a propaganda term invented anti-choice activists in 1995, because the correct medical term “intact dilation and extraction” was deemed not scary/misleading enough.

5 Likes

What these “limits” or bans on legal abortion will do is bring back illegal abortions.

Before Roe no term was more frequent on the news or more frightful to women than “Backroom Butcher.” I mean everyone my age knows a person or a person’s sister who was harmed/killed by an illegal abortion. Denying access to safe abortions in no denies access to abortions.

5 Likes

The republi-tard war on women continues!

That’s already happening. I wish I could remember the show (Maddow? Frontline? maybe both?) from maybe a year ago that included an interview with a female Southern doctor who talked about the return of “abortion wards” in the hospitals in her area – places where desperate women who’d tried everything from knitting needles to bathroom cleaner were recovering, to whatever degree they could (many if not most of those women would be never be able to conceive again when they might actually want a child, among other lasting effects). My mom’s best friend had nearly died from a “backroom butcher” – after getting her to a hospital, she went back and washed all the blood from her friend’s bathroom. And she called herself a one-issue voter for her entire adult life.

3 Likes

Naturally.

1 Like

It is not that simple.

2 Likes

Inasmuch as white male voters - of which I am one, and I’m assuming you are as well - are about the most conservative cohort of voters you can find, I’d suggest that we are the group that really needs most to change.

3 Likes

Welllllll, I am a young woman in America who takes this seriously. It is an extremely complex problem and blaming young women of America for our reproductive rights accomplishments is a little like telling Black people they don’t care enough about racism…Just because it is still a problem, doesn’t mean people have stopped fighting. Now, I need to stop commenting on this site and do something more productive about it!

3 Likes