DeSantis Makes 2024 Ambitions Clear As He Pours Gasoline On His ‘Woke’ Education Fire

As he “actively” prepares for a presidential run, Governor Ron DeSantis (R-FL) announced Tuesday that he plans to defund diversity, equity and inclusion programs in every public university in the state. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1446932

All fascism, all the time. Should be good for about a 40% vote nationally, getting to 50%+1 will require a lot of work on the margins.

ETA: that should be getting to 47%, given the structural advantage the GOP has with the electoral college

30 Likes

“Are you a communist?"
"No I am an anti-fascist"
"For a long time?"
"Since I have understood fascism.”

― Ernest Hemingway, For Whom the Bell Tolls

30 Likes

Meh, Republican presidential primaries are littered with candidates who were the presumed front-runners, but fell by the wayside once the electorate got to know them. DeSantis has the charisma of a rabid weasel (minus the energy)… he’ll end up in the same place as Giuliani, Jeb Bush, Scott Walker and others – all presumed to be the de facto nominee right until they weren’t. In fact Walker tried this exact same schtick, playing up to the right flank and trying to own the libs, and had the backing of major donors too. Zero charisma though, and when his rating began to drop they just kept falling. His decline synched perfectly with increasing national exposure. I don’t know who the Republican nominee will be, but I’ll wager it won’t be DeSantis. He’s less the “kind of guy you’d like to have a beer with” than the kind of persnickety asshole you’d like to empty a beer over.

32 Likes

Mitt Rmoney has the charisma of a high school principal trying to be your friend, and he was the nominee.

15 Likes

The Zombie Fourth Estate can’t wait to get this demon elected.

15 Likes

All that means is that republicans were/are desperate for a candidate to win, no matter how awful they are.

Compared to Trump and this jerk, Rmoney certainly looks better. Still wouldn’t vote for him.

8 Likes

What it means is that Mitt is an example of a candidate with zero or negative charisma getting the nomination, which is the subject here.

7 Likes

Defund equality?

7 Likes

I stand by what I wrote. You don’t have to agree.

2 Likes

As he “actively” prepares for a presidential run, Governor Ron DeSantis (R-FL) announced Tuesday that he plans to defund diversity, equity and inclusion programs in every public university in the state.
… … … … …
Don’t move to Florida for an education

21 Likes

Which may mean that Virginia’s Gov. Youngkin may have a chance after all, though he’s currently polling nationally at 0% (Not that I would vote for him, either!)

7 Likes

Ron doesn’t have a prayer of getting the nomination. This is idiotic strategy for him.

4 Likes

You can stop right there. But I have sympathy for the academic staff of the schools, and for the students who have made the multi-year commitment to getting a degree. They didn’t sign up for this shitshow.

31 Likes

There goes all the College sports games/ etc.

2 Likes

They might have to choose someone who’s less of a fascist. I can see people crawling on broken glass to have a candidate like that.

I don’t see anyone over there who fits the bill, but the roll-out is coming most assuredly.

4 Likes

I’d tune in for the Don-Ron “debate,” that’s for sure. Dunning-Krueger Olympics.

6 Likes

I prefer Diversity Inclusion and Equity, myself. I would also change the ATF to Firearms Alcohol and Tobacco, but that’s just me.

3 Likes

If I were still in the business of conducting medical research and my lab was in Florida I would inform the grad students I was mentoring and then the dept and university that I was moving the lab elsewhere…anywhere but Florida. I know folks who have takes this drastic step when Banner Health bought University Medical Center (UMC) which had been part of the University of Arizona. The University’s footprint now is limited to the basic science building and the nursing school and has been for quite a while. UMC went it’s separate way maybe 20 years ago and went thru several iterations before Banner came along. The UMC campus includes a huge building and was my"stomping grounds" for 4 decades.

11 Likes

Transferring sucks as a student, it’s even more difficult for faculty.

12 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available