Deripaska: Enjoy My Abandoned Houses! | Talking Points Memo

This is far from the most important part of this story, but how do Russians make jam if it goes sour? My mother-in-laws “low sugar” jams go moldy but I’ve never known jam to go “sour”

3 Likes

I know a few Russians who live here. Two are on the stereotypical side, the others not at all. Mix of men & women, various ages. I do find the men have different degrees of that hyper masculine brutish swagger thing going on, which is kind of like nails down the chalkboard for me.

4 Likes

Hilarious. Maybe he’s got a future in jail-house stand up routines!

1 Like

They’ve seen it all and been yelled at a million times and if you’ve been bumped or whatever you’ve been bumped and that’s it.

My own anecdote: I was at the gate once and I saw this middle-aged guy with perfectly groomed hair, the kind of casual clothes that come from the same haberdashery you get your power suits from, fancy sunglasses, the whole deal. “Look at this master of the universe,” I think. Couple minutes later they get on the loudspeaker asking if anyone’s missing a pair of sunglasses. The guy jumps up looking sheepish and his wife, never looking away from her magazine, is shaking her head and looking exasperated.

5 Likes

Sure. Obviously not every Russian man is a brutish swaggerer. But there does seem to be a fascination in some circles with some heavily macho and violent stuff.

2 Likes

The “operatic character” was a nice touch.

2 Likes

That’s a lot of rotten jam.

4 Likes

"but not for the dirty-with-bribes clan representative Clinton).”

It hurts these guys’ feelings that the American peoples would elect bribe-taking-Clintons.

5 Likes

I remember being grounded for fog in SFO (common occurance) and all flights were grounded and the obviously well-off woman was screaming at the airline person for not getting her and her family another flight out " You’ve ruined our vacation! I hope you know that - You RUINED it!!"
Because although no planes were flying due to fog, this one meany old airline employee couldn’t magically change the weather. Also, the rest of us who also had travel plans who were patiently waiting in line had nothing to ruin.

4 Likes

Deripaska: enjoy my abandoned houses

Such cockey disregard for the rule of law. He probably voted Republican  ; - )

1 Like

It’s the geography and climate … brutal ,unforgiving winters , and endless .

I wouldn’t doubt it. Most career criminals are sociopaths on some level.

1 Like

Why? Because this is just the rhetoric that Twitler likes to hear.

That’s what Twitler was all about too… and still is.

1 Like

What if in addition to documents, they were looking for things connected to Havana Syndrome?

1 Like

There are people whose vacations one would wish to ruin. Just saying.

1 Like

I hope it was the ghost!

Here’s an excerpt from Rachel’s show the night before last:

For sheer scare value though, which is important this time of year, you can`t beat the Orson Welles classic from the 1930s called “The Shadow.” I am going to play you the audio snippet of how every episode of “The Shadow” started. I heard it a gillion time.

I think I`ve heard every episode of the shadow. I still find it actually scary every time I hear it.

(AUDIO CLIP LAYS)

MADDOW: The shadow knows! With the evil laugh. The two evil laughs. That`s the problem. He comes back.

The premise of “The Shadow” was that – it was a little bit different in the books and detective magazines stories than it was in the radio play. But in the radio play, its pretty simple. Theres this handsome, wealthy but oddly standoffish young man, young man about town. He is called Lamont Cranston.

Lamont Cranston was sort of irresistible to women. And interestingly, he always finds himself on the outskirts of interesting murders and other crimes. But the secret of Lamont Cranston, the plot of the shadow, Cranston could bamboozle people. He had some weirdo cult ability that he had learned in his travels oversees that allowed him to read other people`s minds. He knew what they were thinking.

He can also basically hypnotize them so they couldn`t see him. He had the power of invisibility, which he could use through his, like, mind powers. And it was very scary. You could tell from the way the thing opens with the evil laugh, the shadow knows, is actually a spooky, scary thing.

But Lamont Cranston for all this spookiness and scariness, and his scary powers, he used his powers for good. He would use his ability to hypnotize people and become invisible, he would use that to scare the bejesus out of criminals and ultimately to solve crimes.

So there were these detective stories and novels in “Shadow” series. Orson Welles played Lamont Cranston in the scary radio show. And it`s great. If you ever have a chance to listen to it, you absolutely should.

But the man who came up with the characters and wrote the series “The Shadow” was a man named Walter Gibson. And Walter Gibson, legend has it, lived in a haunted house in New York City. A haunted house on a crooked little street in Greenwich Village, a street with a funny name, called Gay Street, but not for that reason.

Mr. Gibson, at one point, said that he dream up the Lamont Cranston character while he lived there because the place was so spooky, it made it easy to imagine a man that could float through doorways and calls and disappear in a puff of smoke. It was the inspiration for the scary character Lamont Cranston in “The Shadow.”

That three-story townhouse on Gay Street in New York City has since become a stop on the New York City ghost tour because, you know, people like a ghost story and youve got to put something on the tour. This house was a former speakeasy called "The Pirates Den." It was reportedly the former home of a New York City mayor named Jimmy Walker, was a real dandy and he reportedly housed his mistress there for years.

The house was apparently home to the Howdy Doody guy, the puppeteer Frank Paris. Although I don`t think there are any allegations of Howdy Doody haunting the place. That would be the most freaking terrifying to me.

But the ghost story about that place is that successive owners of that townhouse at 12 Gay Street in New York City has apparently reported hearing weird thumps and hearing weird and inexplicable noises and seeing weird ghostly apparitions, including a man in a top hat who would appear in the window or around the corner and nobody could quite figure out who he was or where he was going.

And again this is just a ghost story. This is just a legend. It`s kind of a New York City legend.

When this townhouse went on the market in October of 2009, “The New York Daily News”, one of the great New York tabloids, said, quote, the historic Gay Street property on the Connor of Waverly Place is rumored to be inhabited by a restless spirit who walks the creaking floorboards at night. Legend has it that a man in top hat and tails has been spot inside the building.

One neighbor telling “The New York Daily News” she had seen mysterious faces appear in with windows of the building and heard noises. She told the paper, there are ghosths in all of these buildings. It just happens. It`s very spiritual.

Another neighbor who lived across the street told the paper, quote, I wouldnt go in there right now. Its legendary that ghosts live there. That place would be like moving into “The Shining”. The shining! The shadow. All very spooky, right?

Today, that same house, that exact same house on Gay Street in New York city got a spooky new development in it`s spooky history because today that house was raided by the FBI. Simultaneously today and without warning, that supposedly haunted house on Gay Street in New York city and a huge mansion on embassy road in Washington, D.C., both properties were raided today by the FBI.

Now, both of these properties are owned by or at least associated with a man named Oleg Deripaska. Deripaska is a Russian owing garbage can, once the richest man in Russia. For years he has been denied visas to visit the United States because the U.S. said were his purported ties to the Russian mafia.

The Shadow knows!

Talk about inflation: Several yrs ago my wife and I were on a long road trip.
We found some station playing old radio mysteries from the 30s.
Two men talking. This is approx how it went:
“Big Louie? Ain’t he da one dat hit the First National Bank?”
“Yeah. Dat’s him. Dey say he got $4,000”.
“Wow. $4,000? Whut would a guy do wit all dat dough?”

5 Likes

or, things that go bump in the night?

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available