Dems Van Hollen And Fetterman Released From Hospital After Suffering Strokes

Sen. Chris Van Hollen (D-MD) announced on Sunday that he had been released from George Washington University Hospital in D.C., where he spent several days after suffering a minor stroke.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1415963
1 Like

Can prominent Dems plz stop having strokes before I have a stroke from hearing about Dems having strokes? Thx.

34 Likes

Three times is enemy action.

20 Likes

Stroke me, stroke me
Could be a winner boy you move mighty well
Stroke me, stroke me (stroke)
Stroke me, stroke me
You got your number down

4 Likes

Sorry for the OT: Dems are scheduling SIX two-hour live broadcasts re January 6th. Yes, six.

Rick Wilson’s reaction: https://twitter.com/TheRickWilson/status/1528726427759267842?s=20&t=OnCEuuYEqhNxIAO2umeAYw

15 Likes

Rick Wilson doesn’t understand how these “hearings” are actually going to work, It is highly unlikely that there will be any live witnesses. These will be presentations, not inquiries. All the testimony will be prerecorded, all the exhibits prepackaged.

15 Likes

“See yinz soon,” Fetterman tweeted with his wife’s video of his departure from the hospital.

John’s wife, Gisele, will be one of his best assets in this race. I love her to pieces.

15 Likes

"Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action” ― Ian Fleming, Goldfinger.

8 Likes

Is that a song by The Strokes?

5 Likes

I think it’s the number of hearings that’s distressing, as opposed to the non-stop show we would get regarding Hunter Biden’s laptop, etc.

I have to say…I have been very suspicious about this. It’s hard not to be.

4 Likes

Number of hearings as a concern seems more related to what we’ve seen in most hearings-- a whole bunch of critters with 5-minute soundbites “questioning” the person in the hotseat.

As long as they’re not doing that, and it’s unlikely they are, this may well be the exact right length of things to make the case without going overboard.

We’ve all seen the TV shows that just went a season or two too long and jumped the shark, sometimes a shorter thing with a tighter script is more satisfying.

14 Likes

I suspect GOP Senators have as many (if not more) health afflictions as Democrats, they just don’t publicly report them. For example, we still have no explanation about McConnell’s obvious bruising and bandages from back in 2020:

Dems are just more open about reporting even minor ailments, I suspect because we don’t conflate sickness with weakness.

19 Likes

I long for the day when I read that #moscowmitch and/or the DFP have succumbed to some natural ailment.

2 Likes

12 non-consecutive hours of scripted documentary television is going to be infinitely more effective than days and days of Gym Jordan flailing his shirtsleeves. The committee has hired actual television producers to pull this thing off. They’ve been pretty good in their work so far. I’d give them the benefit of the doubt on this instead of declaring preemptive defeat. “They’re not doing this like Republicans would!” is a feature, not a bug.

32 Likes

Thanks for the link!

Brief summary of Rick Wilson’s tweet: Dems in disarray

From the article:
The select committee appears to be planning for the hearings to be extensive affairs. The prime-time hearings are currently scheduled to last between 1.5 and 2 hours and the morning hearings between 2 and 2.5 hours.

A select committee member will lead each of the hearings, the sources said, but top investigative lawyers who are intimately familiar with the material will primarily conduct the questioning of witnesses to keep testimony tightly on track

Capping off the six hearings under the current schedule, the sources said, will be a close examination of video footage of the Oath Keepers and Proud Boys militia groups’ leaders meeting in a parking garage the day before the deadly riots, and their movements at the Capitol.

That final hearing is notable, the sources said, because the select committee is attempting to connect Trump’s political plan for January 6 and the militia groups’ violence at the Capitol in what could form evidence that Trump oversaw an unlawful conspiracy.

13 Likes

Unless there’s something different in the article that I missed, it states there will be real time questions (emphasis mine).

“A select committee member will lead each of the hearings, the sources said, but top investigative lawyers who are intimately familiar with the material will primarily conduct the questioning of witnesses to keep testimony tightly on track.

3 Likes

If there are live witnesses, they will definitely be (a) cooperative, and (b) tightly controlled. They’re not going to put on Jared and Rudy and the Proud Boys. If they’ve got anything useful out of them, it will be on video.

10 Likes

I think the hearings will be devastating to the gop.

And I’m sure anything like this will not happen :joy:

5 Likes

If van Hollen and Fetterman weren’t on anti-coagulants, they are now.

8 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available