Dems Mount Legal Challenge Against Trump-Backed Georgia Election Board’s New Rules

Originally published at: Dems Mount Legal Challenge Against Trump-Backed Georgia Election Board’s New Rules - TPM – Talking Points Memo

Democrats are suing to block a series of new rules recently enacted by the Trump-endorsed Georgia State Election Board.  The lawsuit was filed in Fulton County on Monday by the Democratic National Committee, the Georgia Democratic Party and Democratic members of several election boards. The plaintiffs are asking the court to pause enforcement of the…

The Georgia Elections Board plot to prevent red counties from reporting their votes is sheer genius.

10 Likes

This is why TCF isn’t bothering to campaign. It’s not who votes that counts, it’s who counts the votes. His plan A is to tie up enough states to kick it to the House and then he is installed as president for life due to the GQP majority

Plus, of course, it’s still a coin flip as to him winning the EC vote legitimately as the US Electorate is apparently that stupid in the 6-8 states that matters (stare at PA)

8 Likes

Evil genius.

I understand that PA has a lot of rural area and small towns, but it also has 2 major cities and a lot of high powered universities.

4 Likes

This scourge needs to be hit wherever it rears its ugly head!

1 Like

They are not that stupid. What are they are doing is giving tools to Republican Election Board members in blue counties members to delay the certification.

This is the problem they aimed to fix.

2 Likes

“It’s not easy being a microcosm” – PA

They are precisely that stupid. All the blue counties have election boards with functioning Dem majorities.

7 Likes

I recently immigrated to Belize and this is the principal reason why. Well, the election deniers and the fact that there are actually enough willfully ignorant voters in America to even give tRump a chance at winning. And as IBecameACitizenforthis stated above the basic strategy is to tie things up in court and have the House install him as President. I’m somewhat heartened by the success of the Harris campaign, maybe she can carry enough states to make their strategy moot. But they will try, never fear.

3 Likes

It is my understanding that they are making it easier for individual board members to delay certification.

Even Bryan Kemp is against the changes and looking for a way to fire the commissioners

5 Likes

Same old same old, except this time chump doesn’t have the powers of the presidency to back anything up and the Vice President is Kamala Harris. It didn’t work in 2020, and it has zero chance in 2024.

6 Likes

Nope. Individuals can’t stop the rest of the board from certifying their county’s results. And we have absolute proof of concept contained in your own cited story from The Guardian. One of the two Republicans on the Fulton County board abstained from the vote to certify the county’s primary results earlier this year. Result? Vote totals certified 4-0. The result can only differ in Deepest MAGAstan, and I don’t give a damn if their local officials vote against their own voters’ ballots getting certified.

It really, truly, and honestly is just stupid as fuck. These people are idiots.

7 Likes

But it’s the current House that decides, Speaker of the House presiding. It won’t go to the Senate. Or at least that’s my understanding of the procedures if there is no certified winner by Inauguration Day

2 Likes

It does not go to the House unless nobody wins a majority of the electoral votes. That hasn’t happened in about 140 years, and it won’t happen this time either.

If there is no winner by Inauguration Day, the Speaker of the House gets sworn in as acting president until a winner is certified.

5 Likes

They’re the same people who have inundated election officials with death threats in counties that Trump won overwhelmingly, causing dozens of them to resign. Apparently anything less than 100% of the vote is an anti-Trump conspiracy that must be rooted out.

4 Likes

And that would be the newly elected Speaker Jeffries!! Fingers crossed

9 Likes

Meh. So we win the case, and then the GA state legislature and governor pass new legislation that changes the rules to hand red counties a new toy. All this does is delay the inevitable.

MAGAt KKKult’s attempts to establish permanent KKKristofascist minority rule will NEVER end.

2 Likes

Doesn’t Georgia have a rule that all the counties have to certify or the state result is not certified? So that they would have to wait for a challenge in a single county to be resolved by the local election board? I’m comparing this to the situation in, I believe, New Mexico in 2020, when some whackadoodle board in a small county refused to certify, and the secretary of state had to take legal action against the local board or some board members.

No. A loser’s electoral veto is not a thing

3 Likes