Dems Call For Santos To Resign As He Admits To ‘Embellishing’ Resume

Congressman-elect George Santos (R-NY) admitted to “embellishing” parts of his resume in interviews with the New York Post and other New York-area outlets on Monday.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1443363
1 Like

“Embellishing”

I’m going to run in 2024 as Optimus Prime.

35 Likes

Some enterprising reporter should look at Santos’s fundraising solicitations. Bet you a dollar and a donut that some or all or them repeated the falsehoods about his background and resume, and that gets him into the realm of criminal fraud.

69 Likes

dancing putin

8 Likes

Classic DC-speak.

Q: What is it called when someone lies about absolutely everything on their resume?
A: Embellishing.

Rates right up there with calling pathological liar Toadglans “untruthful.”

28 Likes

“I never claimed to be Jewish,” he said. “I am Catholic. Because I learned my maternal family had a Jewish background I said I was ‘Jew-ish.’”

My dad was Jewish, mom was RC which is the religion I took for my own. But looking at it as Santos does, I too am “Jew-ish.”

18 Likes

This guy is just Herschel Walker without the Heisman Trophy -and every Republican in Congress supported Walker. What makes anyone think they’ll treat Santos any differently?

33 Likes

Why not? Optimus Prime’s claim to citizenship is almost as credible as Santos’s.

24 Likes

I see no news about this here today, but it’s worth a few minutes to look at. A crime, then punishment.

@chelsea530 If you didn’t already know.

41 Likes

Of course he won’t resign. He is a Republican after all. Truth is what you say it is.

Anyway he is holding out for Leonardo DiCaprio to play him in the movie.

13 Likes

An obvious candidate, once seated, for the Ethics Committee.

21 Likes

Hershel had football career cred with still loyal fans but what’s Santos got that’s comparable? I’d say nothing, just a repub on the make. We can’t expect a repub leader to step in either to tell this guy he’s gotta go.

@jchaus Seated behind a table testifying before the committee, I’d hope.

@daveminnj Even pols we like take truth detours, Joe B said some things that weren’t entirely truthful, plagirized speeches made by politicians Neil Kinnock, Robert Kennedy, and [President John F. Kennedy]

Also “Build Back Better” slogan is a phrase coined by Bill Clinton in 2006.

Politics is not for the pure of heart.

9 Likes

Why, this calls into question his reputation for veracity!

14 Likes

“We do stupid things in life.”

That’s certainly true of anyone who voted for you.

28 Likes

Good. I’m glad that New York voters are this forgiving. I too have embellished my resume. I am not, as some people have quoted me saying, Abraham Lincoln. I do however have a five-dollar bill in my pocket which has Lincoln’s picture on it. I own up to that, we do stupid things in life.

It has also come to my attention that certain people may be under the impression that I am the Queen of Spain. While I may or may not have said some things along these lines, generally before asking people to give me money, I need to point out that I have been seen on a bridge in the past. While I didn’t say, really, that I was Spanish, I meant to say that I was “Span-ish”.

Thanks for your understanding.

41 Likes

Trump might find Santos’ case useful regarding open criminal investigations in his home country…

2 Likes

“Spam-ish?” Never mind.

5 Likes

With sprinkles?

5 Likes

Imagine how much you despise yourself to be a Republican Jew.

6 Likes

I think there’s a good chance Kevin will welcome Santos with open arms. Hell, I think he adds to the reputation of the Republican members of the house. He’ll probably be given a seat on the Ethics Committee.

8 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available