‘Democrats Worry’ Is The New ‘Democrats In Disarray’

I’m not buying the “Chinese lost control of it” theory about the dreaded balloon fronted in Josh’s recent EdBlog. I was saying over the weekend that it could be a sign of lack of communication between Chinese agencies, or even a rogue element of the military. Here’s someone else floating (hah!) that theory in the NYT:

M. Taylor Fravel, the director of the Security Studies Program at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and an expert on China’s military, said he thought that China’s leadership would not have authorized the balloon’s flight to the United States had it been aware of its journey, given Mr. Blinken’s visit.

“I can only speculate about the intentions of the unit that launched the mission: They may have been unaware or unconcerned about any political fallout should it be discovered, or perhaps they were executing longstanding plans without any attention to the diplomatic calendar,” Mr. Fravel said in an email.

Mr. Thompson said it was possible China’s military orchestrated the flap, as it would stand to benefit from heightened and sustained tension with the United States. Surveillance balloons are thought to be operated by the People’s Liberation Army Rocket Force, which is also responsible for China’s nuclear and conventional missile arsenal.

21 Likes

Because TFG never shared classified information with him.

18 Likes

Jon Tester decided to chime about the balloon, sooooooo,

1 Like

There was a jobs report…

8 Likes

450,000!! That’s a lot of zeroes. Now if he only had to pay that for every NDA he made his "employees " sign.

14 Likes

Biden at SOTU:

“Despite the previous administration policy of letting spy balloons in our airspace with no action, we shot this one down and are recovering the wreckage, any question?”

51 Likes

What’s another half-million jobs or so?

15 Likes

Devastating earthquake in the Turkey/Syria area of the Mid-East. I would like to send my condolences to the families affected. There’s more then enough pain and anguish in the area anyway. They don’t deserve this.

37 Likes

Shhh… Dems are worried

24 Likes

In a normal timeline, a cause for a parade.

However this is 2016, soooooo

3 Likes
19 Likes

Bluster and blather, blather and bluster that’s what Republicans do.

14 Likes
4 Likes

And a throwback to celebrate

18 Likes

Pretty cool that Bonnie Raitt won song of the year. With an actual song, with an actual chorus. There may be hope for the music industry yet.

ETA: She wrote this one too. She has an amazing back catalog of hits over the years, but much of that is songs written by others.

15 Likes

I was thinking more Harper Valley…

7 Likes

Something for Wall Street to be sad about. Seems with a tighter job market they are going to continue to see pressure to pay fair wages…

23 Likes

I guess Olivia Beavers is unaware the balloon was shot down and the bits recovered and that there will be a conference about it to inform “the gang of eight” on Tuesday. But still probably not good enough eh?

10 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Good one.

6 Likes

NO staTue of LIMITations on MurDER,

20 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available