Democrats Remind Voters What Normal Looks Like

Originally published at: Democrats Remind Voters What Normal Looks Like - TPM – Talking Points Memo

The Democratic National Committee kicked off the first night of its convention, themed “For The People,” by outlining what a progressive and normal (not weird) vision for America could look like under Kamala Harris and Tim Walz. Democrats who took the stage drew a stark contrast between what could be under the Harris-Walz administration versus what…

1 Like

Probably the best Day 1 of a Convention in history.

The Dems ripped Trump to shreds, celebrated important constituencies in their base, had a range of excellent speakers that spanned generations and showcased the party’s diversity, and told the story of the past and future. There’s also no Day 1 like this in the history of the US because we’ve never had a situation like the handoff from Biden to Harris. Both made that transition look so graceful and genuine.

Gotta thank Joe Biden for a great speech that did a lot of heavy lifting on dark topics like J6, Trump’s fascism, democracy, the mess that Trump left us and the hard, pain staking work Biden did to get us out of it, and what’s at stake in this election. That heavy lifting allows others to stick to the broader themes of hope, joy; future v past.

There will be a good bounce out of this convention.

93 Likes

The immediate spin on tonight’s convention from the Trump campaign was that it was nothing more than a “Hollywood Infomercial.”

Tell me how you know that you’ve been kicked in the balls without telling me that you know you’ve been kicked in the balls.

59 Likes

The best part of Day 1 was when that volunteer had an abortion on stage, and then the doctor ripped off his mask and it was JOE BIDEN.

10 Likes

Democrats Remind Voters What Normal Looks Like

Yup. This.

42 Likes

That sounds like jealousy. Trump is a TV president and he knows it. Calling Democrats/Harris “Hollywood” is an unconscious admission of inferiority.

43 Likes

Old enough to remember when presidential elections were about differences in policy, not existential threats to Democracy itself. 2020 was not that long ago, and it’s a damn shame we have to claw our way past the deplorables again. They will keep coming back unless we vote like our lives depend on it. Up and down ballot, every dang time we can vote. Thank you Joe.

48 Likes

Make America Normal Again - MANA

22 Likes

So good to see you again!
Day 1 was great from beginning to end!

28 Likes

unwinding at a slow and, at times, boring pace.

We must be watching different conventions.

12 Likes

That was an amazing first night. Exactly the vibe I was hoping for. Forward looking, but also just kept reminding people of what a horrible human Trump is and what an abject failure his presidency had been. Watched on c-span.org to avoid all the talking heads and it was glorious. Freaking LOVED AOC. HRC gave perhaps the best speech I’ve ever seen her give, and pissed-off-at-Trump Joe is the BEST Joe. Really looking forward to tonight!

39 Likes

That was epic and impossible to top! Probably should have started with Tim Walz handing out a box of Tampons to a class of fourth grade boys and worked up to the abortion on stage, but last night was about Joe, so I get it.

6 Likes

I’m starting to really believe Harris will win by a landslide reminiscent of 1964.

14 Likes

Gov Walz cracked me up, so moved was he I thought he would burst out crying at any moment. He wears his emotions on his sleeve and clearly caught up in the moment. Great Day 1 - only the beginning! Harris/Walz 2024!

31 Likes

Great day one. I was really impressed with Hillary. Joe hit it out of the partk. The three women (one man) talking about reproductive health and the horror inflicted by the Christian Nationalists on America was chilling. They made a great case for getting rid of Trump once and for all. Now they have to show us why new and normal is better that the Trump shitshow.

29 Likes

Here’s Hillary’s speech from Daily Kos: Daily Kos

6 Likes

OMG! Harris is wearing a BROWN suit. Remember when Obama did that?

25 Likes

For me “normal” would be wonderful but until I see it … and the evil orange wounded ear one remains…

6 Likes

When the cameras scanned the DNC audience last night, I thought to myself, “This is what America looks like, not the white-washed RNC.”

33 Likes

Mark Hamill checks in

19 Likes