Democrats Rage Against Supreme Court Threat To Abortion Rights

Wanna make it interesting?

4 Likes

If they kill off Filip E. Buster, they need to put the peddle to the metal and make it so that the repugs canā€™t overtake both house and cement their permanent majority. Otherwise, given the chance, they will show Democrats what real powerlessness is. @mattinpa

3 Likes

The question before the Court is whether Mississippiā€™s 15-week ban is constitutional. That does not require them to overrule Roe so much as to amend its pre-viability framework so as to let Mississippiā€™s law stand and to give state legislatures a pathway to further, more draconian restrictions.

6-3 to uphold the Mississippi statute, with Thomas and Alito concurring separately to say that the majority should have reached the bigger question of Roe itself. My guess is that Breyer will assign the dissenting opinion to Kagan, who has gotten really good at shitting on the conservatives in her dissents.

17 Likes

I hope youā€™re right, the groundswell march after dumpsterā€™s election was heartening. This wonā€™t stop at abortion, however, birth control measures labeled ā€œabortifacientsā€ by the right are next. Which is what ever they will try to define it as. It covers a wide swath.

11 Likes

Are there no work houses? Maybe Foxconn can put some factories in more of the red states.

3 Likes

With Roe overturned, does it help or hurt the evangelical Penceā€™s chances to head the GOP ticket?

3 Likes

The savviest people in the society understand the risks weā€™re running. Itā€™s a characteristic of this society to dawdle as the situation grows dire and then, when the emergency erupts, to reach down and find the wherewithal to fix it, in a habitual better-late-than-never sort of way. Weā€™re sluggish that way. Itā€™s not ideal. But Iā€™m a long way from hopeless just yet.

17 Likes

As, I hope you agree, were the results of the next two elections. I watched it happen here on the ground.

7 Likes

We need the Reconciliation Bill and the Voting Rights Bill to be passed. That will greatly aid our fight.

11 Likes

Theyā€™re the Anti-Sex League, dude.

9 Likes

The entire reason Roe v Wade was sent to the Supreme court is that states WERE doing their own thing, and it was getting very messy. There are some laws that need to be Federal for the very reason that some states are still living in the 14th century, and denying the Constitutional rights of any of their citizens
cannot be tolerated.
I hold firm beliefā€¦backed by scienceā€¦that abortion before a fetus is viable outside of the womb is not against any lawā€¦godā€™s or the laws of nature. I do resent the negating of MY beliefs by a bunch of lying arrogant so-called christians who pull the ā€œGod cardā€ to force their stupid opinions on everybody else.

18 Likes

Me either. I canā€™t stop whistling in the dark, in spite of it all!

3 Likes

If it was that simple.

1 Like

Roe was effectively ended when SCROTUS declined to enjoin SB8, they wanted to see what the reaction from the public was. Sadly not many people seemed to notice. Everything to come is just window dressing.

1 Like

You want to base your political program on that? Because if so good luck. :smile:

FIFY

5 Likes

Youā€™re too kind. Nader definitely stopped Gore. And he did it deliberately. As to Stein, it was Sanders that sandbagged Hillary. Stein just finished her off. Sanders is such an idiot, he literally burned down everything he and his voters wanted policy wise, to assuage his ego and ā€œsend a messageā€. We got the message you jagoff.

5 Likes

:100: This is so right on it needed to be posted again. I still see McConnells smug face as he stole those SC seats. I say we make him regret that decision.

15 Likes

Just HOW can we do that? I do not live in Kentucky, so cannot vote for his opponentā€¦if he even has one. It is the voters in Kentucky who will have to finally rid us of that disgusting turd.

1 Like

Why is so little made about Kirkland & Ellisā€™ efforts to distance themselves from Jeffrey Clark over the past year?

7 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available