Democrats Have Deal On Medicare Drug Pricing Negotiations

Last week, the White House released a reconciliation framework that omitted any kind of provision that would allow Medicare to negotiate prescription drug costs. On Tuesday, Senate Democrats announced that they’d arrived at a deal. 


This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1393051
5 Likes

It lets negotiations begin in 2023 on certain drugs, but with patent exclusivity for nine years before negotiations can start and exclusivity for 12 years on more advanced drugs, according to the New York Times.

IOW, its start date is pushed out to allow plenty of time for Rethugliklans to kill it at the first available opportunity.

6 Likes

That’s down the road. A couple more Senators and we can fix it. Get something done now.

8 Likes

“Wyden added that he’d been negotiating with Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ), one of the provision’s biggest opponents, ‘nonstop’.”

If that poor man’s not an alcoholic by now – or in intensive psychotherapy – he’s superhuman!

(Some senators actually gnawed off their own legs to escape that “negotiating” room in the past week.)

22 Likes

Naw, it’s logistics. Something of this magnitude needs a year to implement, minimum-- there are changes to the federal register that have to be published, policies and systems to update. Government don’t turn on a dime.

5 Likes

The message to voters should be, Republicans will not lift a finger to help the American people in any way; then start going down the list…

Healthcare
Prescription drugs
Infrastructure
Economy
Climate Change
Public Safety
Pandemic
Paid Leave
Judicial Appointments
Education
Etc…

Repeat the message ad nauseum and highlight Manchin and Sinema’s obstruction on getting anything passed. Make em own it! Put the blame where it goes.

8 Likes

“I would talk to Senator Manchin about that,” he said.

Joe Manchin is dead to me.

2 Likes

The GOP is dead set against anything that offers Americans help. Especially if it is the Democrats making it happen. They have said as much out loud. If the people get a program that benefits them financially it makes it harder to cancel it.

6 Likes

Imagine this from the R perspective. They give and they give and the D’s just want more and more.

They feel like they’re being raped.

10 Likes

Legitimate rape?

7 Likes

In this case, yes. :smile:

Ride 'em hard and put 'em up wet.

2 Likes

I thought the GOP was the party of no exception for rape. I’m confused. Again.

6 Likes
8 Likes

““It will cap out of pocket spending at $2,000 per year”

Watch how lightning fast the MSM doesn’t report this.

2 Likes

But I thought the body had a way of shutting things down if it was a legitimate rape? :thinking:

4 Likes

I have a feeling talking with her about a complex policy she’s been paid to stymie is rather like trying to have a deep conversation with Groot.

Wyden: “So you see, this provision will actually help pay for the cost fo the bill…”

Sinema: “I’m Senator Kyrsten Sinema!”

Wyden: “Yes, I know that…but could you just explain to me what your issue is with this provision?”

Sinema: “I’m Senator Kyrsten Sinema!”

Wyden: “You said that already and it’s not like nobody around here knows it. Please, stay focused…what’s your beef with this policy?”

Sinema: “I’m Senator Kyrsten Sinema!”

And so on and so forth…

10 Likes

I only got that because it’s maybe tho only modern superhero type movie I’ve seen.

Oh, and Antman.

2 Likes

Setting them up
Knocking them down.

9 Likes

Wow.

As if.

8 Likes