Democratic Officials Tell Members Of Congress Not To Show Up In Person For Convention | Talking Points Memo

Well, here’s food for thought. :thinking::thinking: I wonder if he might land somewhere in leadership of a federal agency or program in a Biden Administration? He’ s bright and full of courage, and I’d hate to see his talents go to waste now that his politics appear to have sorted themselves out.

7 Likes

A common misperception. There is no bottom.

9 Likes

The party of grown-ups.

7 Likes

“I’d hate to see his talents go to waste”

I think Joe learned that from Barack when Barack chose some of his rivals for cabinet positions.

2 Likes

It’s beans… all the way down.

3 Likes

Axiomatic.

Mary Trump knocked it out of the Park last night with Rachel. Both women were outstanding and every word they said should be listened to.

Trump destroys people while they are still alive… @Hatmama described this yet another pathology of his more eloquently

8 Likes

I am old enough to remember when the big joke at the RNC was about the (snicker) community organizer the Dems were running for POTUS. Yuck yuck.
The punch line was that the guy organized a community that kicked the GOP’s ass. Twice.

9 Likes

You’re pretty Resolute in your opinion.

6 Likes

After listening to Mary Trump and a host of others, I have a pretty good line on Donald Trump. What I don’t understand are all the Republicans who have knuckled under to him. Ted Cruz, Lindsey Graham and Marco Rubio are mysteries to me. Trump publicly humiliated them and their families.Yet here they are completely subservient as Trump becomes hopelessly weak.

I have a feeling that our national politicians (at least the Republican politicians) are really representing unidentified powers and have no real power of their own. That is the only way I can explain the failure of the national Republican elected officials to try to put distance between themselves and Trump.

Also the behavior of DeSantis, Kemp and Ducey during the pandemic is odd. They are operating under the mistaken idea that there is a binary choice between a Covid response and the economy. You have to be some kind of stupid not to realize that we begin to revive the economy the moment the virus is under control. Are all three that stupid or are they all following the directions of some unidentified stupid billionaire.

14 Likes

Yes, at least temporarily, but there are a bunch of ripple-down effects if it’s a permanent shift. I heard concerns on local NPR about how this will affect places like downtown Seattle if a large enough percentage of offices close or move out of the city center.

It will have a huge impact on real estate values and the tax base for the city, with fewer people wanting to live downtown within easy walking or bike distance to work. Many of the neat little restaurants, bars, and shops that depend on urban core traffic may disappear.

Even if we get a vaccine, there will still be at least a partial shift to more remote work, as companies discover the cost benefits and the tech improves. If it results in hollowing-out the cities though, that won’t be a good thing.

6 Likes

But it could revitalize the dying rural areas. Half of NYC has decamped to new digs in Vermont and New Hampshire and upstate NY, for example.

So we may have started solving that decades-long problem, if more people are able to have good jobs and work remotely from those areas, boosts the prospects of a lot of communities.

2 Likes

He has so soiled the Resolute Desk, that we may need to hold a ceremonial cremation of it.

3 Likes

Considering the people who have sat at that desk doing the business of the Republic, this picture makes me want to puke. And I’ll never buy another Goya product, period.

6 Likes

Heck with the desk.

We’ll need to invite the Brits to come 1812 the whole dang building to cleanse the land.

4 Likes

Kamala Harris hosted an online fundraiser dance party event for Joe Biden about a week back. The DJs were good. I’d bring those DJs back, do some promos about Joe’s life story, get some speeches in whacking the f**k out of Trump, tell folks we’re gonna rebuild the country (build back better) and get on with it. We don’t need a big shin dig in this environment.

10 Likes

From your lips to God’s ear. May He make it so.

4 Likes

People moving to towns that are actually dying for remote work would be a good thing. The flip side is that it could negatively affect other places that are in reasonably good shape, and don’t want a sudden influx of remote workers that drive up property values and force out longtime residents.

For example, I live in a small tourist town in WA (Port Townsend) population 9,700. We’re just far enough from Seattle with a 2-3 hour commute by car and ferry not to be a bedroom community for people working in the city. We’ve had proposals for a direct run passenger ferry from PT to Seattle shot down, largely due to fear of that happening.

The charm of this town, the thing that attracts tourists in Summer, is the quaint artsy-fartsy retired hippy nature of the place. Many of the local residents can barely afford to live here as it is. We’d lose many of them due to rising rents and home prices if we became a remote worker town.

So that’s the downside for some towns, unless we’re actually talking about somewhere in rural Montana that’s about to turn into a ghost town because all the kids are moving away to the big city for work.

5 Likes

Some places, sure. I’m thinking of the small towns back in Vermont, where the population has been aging and more places have been abandoned over time as opportunity has dried up. Bringing people back in that have good-paying jobs can save a lot of them from dying.

Certainly also true that other places may not want or need the influx.

4 Likes