Democratic Officials Tell Members Of Congress Not To Show Up In Person For Convention | Talking Points Memo

The Democratic National Convention Committee said Thursday that members of Congress should not plan to travel to Milwaukee for this year’s convention, reaffirming its previous recommendation that all members of state delegations prepare to participate remotely.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1321000
1 Like

Smart. Responsible.

In the interest of public health, we will use online tools to conduct our business and nominate our candidates without putting ourselves and others at risk.

34 Likes

Real American Mens don’t let a hoax keep them from jamming convention halls.

The bean guy will take this opportunity to call Democratic leaders chicken.

(Special big thanks to who ever put the labels right side up for him.)

20 Likes

What a smart group of people, those Dems. It can’t be easy to redo a convention, anticipate all the problems, but good on them for being the voices of reason.

25 Likes

Very well

4 Likes

Why not? Many businesses have been functioning well for months while conducting most of their business virtually. One of the big lessons of the pandemic is the use of office buildings needs to be rethought.

8 Likes

It seems to me that it may be time to revisit the need for a political convention at all. Much of it is just a performance for the cameras. I admit that I followed the last DNC, and was just as horrified as anyone by the horrors perpetrated by the RNC, but those things could be done on camera without bringing large groups into the room. I realize that in the past the “smoke filled rooms”’ were the places that most of the actual decisions were made, but those rooms can now be virtual. There should be ways to secure the process of developing a platform and choosing a VP candidate without an in-person convention…

15 Likes

Let this sink in again to start your morning: This dumbass is sitting behind a desk once reserved for actual leaders of presidential timber who could provide helmsmanship to the federal government and the people of the United States of America.

30 Likes

AKA LEADERSHIP especially when we need examples of what we haven’t seen in these last 3 1/2 so years.

6 Likes

And common sense.

4 Likes

My first thought
If we can remote and zoom our employment we can Remote and zoom a convention
When was the last time you saw a talking head on Cable in a studio?
The new norm , but Donnie feeds on the crowds and they will bend over backwards to appease the whiny little bitch
Please proceed Republicans, Karma is improving its aim
Scrored a fucking bullseye with Chuck Wollery

5 Likes

6 Likes

While it may have at one point, currently the convention has nothing to do with choosing the VP candidate. Announcing, yes. Choosing, no. I suspect the conventions are more about networking and tradition at this point than anything else.

I also suspect that about 3 weeks after the RNC convention, it will prove to be a super spreader event, providing even more of a contrast between Dems and the Trump party.

10 Likes

I’ll be taking notes. We usually host a mid-sized seminar each January. Chances are there will be some pros/cons to glean from both party’s virtual conventions

4 Likes

Has the motherfucker again embarrassed the country today yet?

@tena

9 Likes

That picture is so disgraceful. With everything, everything, he has done to debase the Office of the President, it’s possible that this is the worst. Definitely near the bottom.

11 Likes

Interesting

" “I love representing our community in Congress. I always will,” Amash . “This is my choice, but I’m still going to miss it. Thank you for your trust.”

4 Likes

I’ve done you the favor of filing this away under “Questions We Need Not Ask.”:rofl:

16 Likes

And you know that the RNC will be filled with “humor” about the Dems being too cowardly to gather, and we’ll be lucky if the worst that Dotard does is hug the flag. It will provide plenty of chances to clarify the differences between a party that cares about people and a party that wants to please a lunatic.

4 Likes

Is this so he can focus on his Presidential campaign?

In seriousness, though I found little common ground with his stated political positions, it’s almost sad what happened to this guy. The only (or one of the few) office-holding Republicans who had the courage (or maybe stupidity in hindsight) to actually stand up to what Orange Voldemort has been doing and defend some modicum of American political values. It was harakari untimately. But it is a sad commentary on the state of the Republican party, it’s voters, and ultimately our Country.

He’ll be replaced by a Trumpite, which will not help anything.

3 Likes