Dem Rep Backs Off Censuring Greene After Overdue Apology For Holocaust Comments | Talking Points Memo

Rep. Brad Schneider (D-IL) on Tuesday said he will no longer pursue a resolution to censure Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA), following the GOP lawmaker’s overdue apology for “offensive” comments she made last month that likened the House’s mask mandate to the Holocaust.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1377908
1 Like

One wonders what the pushback would have been if Empty G had compared masks to smallpox blankets?
Her district was once the center of the Cherokee nation after all.

14 Likes

As the grandchild of Holocaust survivors, I disagree that, “The Holocaust is the greatest atrocity committed in history."

Rather, the Holocaust is tied with American slavery as the greatest atrocity committed in history.

12 Likes

Even if you give her a mulligan on all of her Holocaust similes, what she has said about 1/6 and about her fellow representatives independently deserves censure.

18 Likes

She called Dems “Nazis” hours after her mea culpa.

Why the fuck did they back off?

20 Likes

dems.txt

Rep. Brad Schneider (D-IL) clearly knows nothing about the Munich Agreement. Do not capitulate to fascists.

6 Likes

What is it about Democrats that they gush over a faked forced apology.

I mean think how Republicans act to the smallest infraction or even simple slip of the lip. Republicans not only never accept apologies but pretend they never happen.

It is just another example of Republicans playing a better game.

4 Likes

“Republicans have entered their own kind of end-stage Bolshevism, as members of a party that is now exhausted by its failures, cynical about its own ideology, authoritarian by reflex, controlled as a personality cult by a failing old man, and looking for new adventures to rejuvenate its fortunes.”

~~Tom Nichols.

14 Likes

Reading that piece earlier confirmed my belief that they’ll soon fall apart. Just not soon enough.

6 Likes

Marjorie apologized for something?

Amazing.

1 Like

The primary thrust of MTG’s rationalization for her offering an “apology” was that she took a trip to the Holocaust Museum and learned of the horrors??? That is crap!! She is 47 years old and her reasoning is so insufficient, so lame, and so contrived for any reasonable person to believe. She is desperately trying to find cover for her remarks. Her instincts are consistently stupid and incendiary. She should be censured over and over and over again, if she cannot be expelled from office.

8 Likes

Those smallpox blankets were an early American act of white supremacist terrorism. She’d never admit that white supremacy and terrorism are the same thing.

4 Likes

What does a censure mean? Nothing. She would have worn it like a badge of honor.

1 Like

This is why we can’t have a government free of conspiracy theorists and ignorant hacks.

5 Likes

I disagree. I think that the apology will be far more damaging to her than the censure would have been. One of the most defining characteristics of Trump is that he was never wrong, never apologized, always doubled down.

A censure would have just been more evidence of how the establishment hated her, reaffirming her status as a heroic gadfly.

An apology makes her look wrong, weak, undermines her connection to Trump. You can’t own the libs when you are apologizing to them.

5 Likes

I’m not so sure she would have. Why did she go to the museum in the first place? The ability to “apologize” while also attempting to save face when the truth is she still believes it.

4 Likes

Yeah her followers yelled at her on Twitter for using the feminine pronoun “she” about Caitlyn Jenner, so likely you’re right about that.

4 Likes

I disagree with your analysis.

It is not that Trump never apologized, it is that to a racist, a racist politician pursing racist policies no matter what else they do, can do no wrong, apology or not.

A great example of this is how all the racists supported, in fact still support George W Bush and also Donald “George W Bush lied America into a disastrous war in Iraq” Trump.

Or to put another way, very few or more likely none of her supporters take her apology seriously or any more than a convenience so she, as another poster has pointed out, can a second later call Democrats “Nazis”.

4 Likes

Hollow apologies mean nothing. It is doubtful that Greene feels any empathy and has any regret. It was only out of expediency, self-serving. She is a brutish human being, but adored by MAGAts.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available