Dem Guvs Jump At Chance To Counter DeSantis’ Ban On African American Studies

Maybe for Monday’s MM but there won’t be one before then.

Why bother? DeSantis is nothing but a Donald Trump “minnie me” wannabe. In sum, he is a racist, ignorant disgrace.

1 Like

In these latter-day and fallen times, some (many?) high schools award more points for a given grade if its an AP class. If you get straight A’s in all AP classes, you achieve greater than a 4.0 GPA

4 Likes

I take it all back and I’m slapping myself silly. “résumé embellishment” indeed

2 Likes

DeSantis is an unprincipled opportunist who panders to ugly racism because he thinks it will get him elected.

In my books, that’s morally worse than someone who holds a genuine and sincere, though wrong-headed, belief that some races are inferior to others.

Evil is worse than dumb.

17 Likes

They’re actually significantly underwater even from the days of Reagan.

9 Likes

The bigger story in our State is that Illinois also has a large cadre of Republican (gasp!) sheriffs in at least 75 counties across my great State. From my hometown county I learn that our newly elected repub sheriff will not enforce the new crime bill, the part about making it a little tougher to massacre people with automatic rifles and now comes our newly elected District Attorney, also Republican, parroting the sheriff group with declarations that Governor Pritzker’s new law is “unconstitutional… blah… blah.”
We have a problem, folks. Time to mount up.

11 Likes

Have you seen the rest of their bench?

9 Likes

It deprives students of all colors and races to learn about our history – at least, it becomes all of ours, in our different ways, if we all share in learning about it together.

13 Likes

A niece had a GPA of 4.65, was a state champion runner and got a free ride at U Conn.

5 Likes

When did these sheriffs have time to become Constitutional scholars?

9 Likes

Funny thing is that sheriffs were, originally, an enforcement arm of the King. (or, say, the governor)

6 Likes

My nephew got a free ride at U Conn for baseball until he broke his leg sliding into a base. Then he got cut off from financial aid, even as there were cutbacks in his major’s course offerings (political science). He eventually graduated, paying his own way by painting houses in Portland, Maine (one of the most beautiful places in the world).

4 Likes

So, why do you keep falling for it?

1 Like

How are they supposed to view AP classes? Is there just one “correct” way to them? Who decided that?

3 Likes

When I learned there were Junior AP courses at the middle schools here - purporting to cover high school level subject matter - I decided it was about money and gaming performance evaluations.

One middle school principal was moving students around - including removing them from any course they weren’t passing - to goose the “success rate”. A friend who taught gym there had kids with 2 or 3 gym classes each day after they were pushed out of classes they were failing. The school didn’t have regular art classes because students were pushed into Junior AP Art History; the teaching staff had multiple sections of that course. Too bad if you wanted to learn to draw.

4 Likes

As an FYI to the author/editors… shouldn’t this “Pritzker and are” read “Pritzker and Newsom are”?

3 Likes

I teach AP Chemistry and regular Chemistry and I can promise you that regular Chemistry is far more rewarding and fun to teach. Plus we do a lot more actual chemistry.

6 Likes

A lot of states give a GPA multiplier for AP classes so the more AP classes you take the more you can push your GPA above 4.0. In a lot of high performing schools, the valedictorian is the one among the 20+ other 4.0 students who took the most AP classes.

4 Likes

There most definitely SHOULD be advanced challenging college-prep classes at the high school level. The question is whether the current AP classes are the best way to do it with their intense mad rush through a giant breadth of curriculum with the main objective of passing a multiple choice test at the end of the year.

10 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available