Dem Guvs Jump At Chance To Counter DeSantis’ Ban On African American Studies

Two Democratic governors jumped at the chance to go after Republican Governor Ron DeSantis (FL) for his recent ban on an Advanced Placement African American Studies course, with one vowing to enforce teaching the course in full in his state.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1446621

One could say the entire AP program lacks educational value because a. the College Board only cares about $$; and b. too many students only view AP classes as a means to a higher GPA/ticket to college.

But I editorialize.

signed, a HS AP teacher

28 Likes

This is clickbait of the highest ordure, er, order.

5 Likes

There are, in the United States,…those who have embraced the demographics and those who have not.

This has happened before in this country.

17 Likes

So DeSantis is a vehement racist.

Push back is good.

39 Likes

Governor DeSantis rejected the proposed course through a letter to the College Board from the Florida Department of Education’s (FDOE) Office of Articulation on January 12. The pilot course would have surveyed Black American history “from the medieval kingdoms of West Africa to the ongoing challenges and achievements of the contemporary moment,” according to its coursework, featuring works from Black scholars, authors and artists such as Kimberle Crenshaw, Angela Davis, Bell Hooks and even Beyonce.

:+)

The FDOE, however, wouldn’t have it, stating that the course as it was introduced “significantly lacks educational value.”

11 Likes

One correction on this otherwise excellent article: Illinois governor Pritzker announced recently he won’t run for president in 2024.

21 Likes

I can see the ticket to college aspect (I wasn’t any different on that point), but the higher GPA seems like an oddity. For the most part, the AP classes were the only ones I found challenging and brought my GPA down compared to if I had taken the “regular” classes instead (and when I did take regular ones, I usually wound up with 102% without studying because they lacked any expectation of academic rigor or achievement from the students).

13 Likes

In reviewing the argument in FL over AP African American History course, which is being tested, in a small number of schools, why is DeSantis’ knickers in twist again?

Basically Ron had his guy at the FL Dept of Ed write a letter to the College Board to get all up in their grill about a class that isn’t even being taught in FL. Which leads me to ask isn’t Ron’s job suppose to be a manager? And as sure as God made little green apples I can guarantee that Ron didn’t review the course material.
Just so :tired_face: of political gamesmanship/stunts

32 Likes

The AMA, ABA, APA, etc. all need to announce that degrees from Florida cannot qualify for admission.

27 Likes

Political points

If he can show to a pivotal % that America (starting with Florida) handled slavery better than the Brazilians n the British, then tricking em into believing that he’s an uniter is borderline childs play.

6 Likes

De Racist Santa Of Florida

8 Likes

That man is not a uniter, he’s an argumentative buffoon, and is enabling the most racists of Floridians to think that they are winning some big prize. This isn’t going work out as well as he and they think.

32 Likes

How far the GQP has fallen from the days of Lincoln and Douglass. Hell, even from the days of Dirksen…

22 Likes

A lot of schools now weight GPAs for AP or Honors classes so an A in AP is worth 4.5 or even 5.0.

13 Likes

As the father of a student that landed a significant scholarship at least partially due to her completion of numerous AP courses, I am 100% in favor of that particular view/use of AP classes.

18 Likes

The reaction to DeSantis will accomplish more than if the Governorship of DeSantis never existed.

9 Likes

If you don’t mind, what was the scholarship?

3 Likes

And I wouldn’t blame you at all. I don’t fault my students either. It’s the system. What else are you supposed to do when college is so expensive?

7 Likes

Don’t we have enough trolls already?

I have no fucks left for anything and everything DeSatan and Floriduhhh.

Piss off.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available