Dancers At LA Topless Bar Unionize, Joining Servers And Baristas In New Labor Movement

This article is part of TPM Cafe, TPM’s home for opinion and news analysis. It was originally published at The Conversation.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1458686

fRISt!

cat-pole-dance

(So is unionizing!)

20 Likes

Kudos to TPM for keeping abreast of organizing efforts like these. Despite attempts to bust them, unions are making a comeback. Exposing these workers, and revealing the gyrations they go through with management, can give a real lift to their cause. A guaranteed contract would take a huge weight off their chests, and they deserve support.

32 Likes

You write the most titillating replies, @irasdad.

13 Likes

Yup. I understand they poled the workers, and at this stage it was revealed they are all open for this…

8 Likes

Rang them up (for a friend) only to find they were clothed.

5 Likes

We don’t want to see women stripped of their rights. Pole after pole has shown that workers are pro-union, whether you’re a person of color or pasties white. We’ve seen that management will g-string workers along, in order to get a favorable outcome, but now workers are wise to those tactics.

12 Likes

Their picket lines will likely be quite popular.

7 Likes

Somehow, I expect they will be in streets, rather than dressed for work.

3 Likes

One would hope. They’d catch their death of cold otherwise.

2 Likes

And that is the naked truth (or maybe half naked).

1 Like

One of the things that I miss about the 1960s was the common practice of watching George Meany on TV talking to the Press (when it was really the Fourth Estate) about his dealings with the U.S. President as though both were equals.

6 Likes

You took all the good lines.

5 Likes

The story has legs was all I could come up with, but I’m hard pressed to think anyone is giving more than lip service to a conversation about legs in a topless bar.

2 Likes

From the 80s till about 2010, anti-union propagandists were able to leverage younger workers’ sense of merit and individual accomplishment to convince people they didn’t need unions, that the lower quintiles would only drag them down, that they would do better negotiating individually because they were above average, blah blah blah. But those tactics mostly rely on workers not talking with one another. Chalk up a positive for social media?

2 Likes

3 Likes

You are dancing around the big takeaway here:

Unions are taking off!

4 Likes

What is the main reason manufacturing jobs have better pay and benefits than service jobs?

I think the answer is “unions”.

Before unions, anyone else remember what most manufacturing, to include mining, was like?

Tennessee Ernie Ford can remind everyone.

Some people say a man is made out of mud
A poor man’s made out of muscle and blood
Muscle and blood and skin and bones
A mind that’s weak and a back that’s strong

[Chorus]
You load sixteen tons, what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt
Saint Peter don’t you call me, 'cause I can’t go]
I owe my soul to the company store

[Verse 2]
I was born one morning when the sun didn’t shine
I picked up my shovel and I walked to the mine
I loaded sixteen tons of number 9 coal
And the straw boss said, “Well-a bless my soul!”

[Chorus]
[Saint Peter don’t you call me, 'cause I can’t go
[I owe my soul to the company store

[Verse 3]
I was born one morning, it was drizzlin’ rain
Fightin’ and trouble are my middle name
I was raised in the canebrake by an old mama lion
Can’t no high-toned woman make me walk the line

[Chorus]
[Saint Peter don’t you call me, 'cause I can’t go
[I owe my soul to the company store

3 Likes

Can’t wait for the rightists to start bitching about inflation; they can’t see her butthole for a dollar any more it’s gonna be a 5 dollar minimum just like a Happy Meal.

Turns out uncle is the autocorrect for incel. So if you ever read me writing about uncle rightists complaining about butthole inflation, that’s probably what I meant.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available