Cruise Ship Passengers Finally Start Disembarking In Florida | Talking Points Memo

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — Passengers from an ill-fated cruise were carefully freed from their cabins and allowed to touch dry land on Friday for the first time in weeks, following the removal of 14 critically ill people who were wheeled off to Florida hospitals bracing for an onslaught of coronavirus patients.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1301569

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said Wednesday that he had a change of heart after realizing many passengers were U.S. citizens and about 50 of them Floridians.

Did he check their party affiliations before said “change of heart”?

11 Likes

So ALL Americans are finally allowed to disembark in the new home state of the Covidiot Trump…

AND DeSantis FINALLY issued a Stay-At-Home order with BIGLY CAVEATS

7 Likes

Next, Donnie will be touting this as his Bigly Win end to the COVID-45 crisis.

4 Likes

And their GOP campaign contributions…

6 Likes
11 Likes

DeSantis…yup. It’s patently obvious the reason Gov. DeSantis flipped on this Cruise Ship thing is the Florida press was killing him over it and the Connect scam was coming into view. Too much truth for him. He’s in deep shit and doesn’t seem to have a way out. Pastor Wingnut is still packing them ( which will lead to the inevitable ), DeSantis was forced to issue a statewide stay at home order which flopped. Folks were all over Atlantic Blvd this morning in the same numbers they were last week.

Florida will be NYC in less than 2 weeks and DeSantis’s policy will be entirely to blame. He can’t run from that. And the Connect thing is hot as hell right now…

10 Likes

Hoping all of this will put an end to this ridiculous way of travel. Talk about a petri dish and overwhelming small communities when they get off ship.

8 Likes

It’s an interesting comment from out idiot Gov. Seems just being a human being didn’t mean shit to him. You had to be a qualified human being to get his sympathy.

10 Likes

What is the ‘connect scam’?
I know DeSantis is sleaze, but I’ve not heard of this yet…

1 Like

Commercial flights are also petri dishes and carry far more people to more places than do cruise ships. I’m not sure we’re going to put an end to that way of travel, though.

1 Like

“One has died on the Celebrity Infinity”

Touch of Heinleinian surrealism there.

6 Likes

I think of them as 'Branson on the Seas".

6 Likes
3 Likes

Sounds like it was put in place by skeletor. But I don’t mind DeSnivel taking the heat: https://www.politico.com/states/florida/story/2020/04/03/its-a-sh-sandwich-republicans-rage-as-florida-becomes-a-nightmare-for-trump-1271172

7 Likes

Florida Republicans are blaming each other for the fiasco.

Maybe—just maybe—it will begin to dawn on Florida voters that Republicans don’t know shit about governance and don’t give a shit about the average Floridian.

13 Likes

Nope. More important to make sure the wrong types don’t get any benefits.

5 Likes

Maybe I’ve got a reasonable idea.

ENFORCE A MORATORIUM ON CRUISES UNTIL THE PANDEMIC ENDS.

“I’m sorry, Sir, but the state of ______ will not allow you to board that ship.”

Because stupid people keep infecting other stupid people who now go on cruises.
Once they disembark, stupid people can be hard to avoid if they come into your space.

2 Likes

TANSTAAFL.

4 Likes

over my head, max

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available