Crowd Erupts As Harris Vows To A ‘Peaceful Transfer Of Power’ And Other Highlights

Originally published at: Crowd Erupts As Harris Vows To A ‘Peaceful Transfer Of Power’ And Other Highlights

Headlining speaker Vice President Kamala Harris entered the packed arena Thursday night to deafening applause and cheers of “Kamala.” The chants and cheers of jubilance were so loud that Harris was not able to start her speech for several minutes. On the fourth and final night of the Democratic National Convention, the vice president officially…

1 Like

Meows! (Does that count as a cat in lieu of photo?)

And meowsy on the speech too. Rock Solid is an understatement. Home run comes to mind.

6 of 8 Lehigh County Pennsylvania undecided voters on CNN said they were voting for Kamala after tonight. Not leaning toward her, but voting for her. We can only hope for a fraction of that response across the nation, but a fraction is what we need.

And even the guy who opted for Trump for indecipherable reasons gave the speech a “C.”

Only one undecided left waivering of the eight.

43 Likes

She hit it out of the park. VP Harris made a clear case, from a political, ethical, moral, and patriotic standpoint that she is more than ready to be our next president. And you can tell she struck a nerve because old grump immediately shot off a post with half of it in all caps. Losing his freaking mind.

45 Likes

Kamala Harris was inspiring, tough, focused, kind, engaging, determined and absolutely wonderful tonight. She is masterful and will make a beloved president.

It was thrilling to see a convention hall full of people who look like Everywhere America versus the Republican Angry Aryan convention.
Haven’t been this hopeful since Obama.

45 Likes

Trump will not go away gracefully. Indeed, we should brace for major Trumpbot malfunctioning next month when the 180-day lock-up on his media company shares ends and his sentencing for the fraud convictions comes down,

• Trump holds 114,750,000 shares, or nearly 59%, of Trump Media, which owns the social media platform Truth Social.

If he cashes out, his creditors will expect payment. If he then loses there will be several million core MAGA cultists out for revenge if they don’t get a new leader. His brand will lose much of its value.

14 Likes

Meanwhile the mummy down at the border. He looks like he’s dead.
wire-88846413-1724392793-975_634x422

35 Likes

Josh: "I continue to think there’s more going on in this campaign than much of the political and commenting class has yet understood or reckoned with. "

Yes. Well said.

34 Likes

But wait!! This is worth nothing if the NYT doesn’t interview all their angry uncles to decide how Kamala is failing in messaging.

19 Likes

He’s going to try and match the attendance at the recent Harris rally. This local article points out she filled the place with ZERO advertising.or promotion. He’s basically begging people to show up (no surprise there).

And I wish someone would have offered RFK Jr something to keep running - he was hitting TFG’s numbers, not Harris’. He was siphoning off up to 5% of his votes.

18 Likes

And that doesn’t count the 20% of R-primary voters who chose Haley. Ya think they might vote for Harris? At least a lot of them?

17 Likes

We need a new way to talk about the urban-rural divide now found in many democracies. The classic media response is probably best reflected in the film Giant Mine about scabs working for a Yellowknife mine that eventually became Canada’s most costly environmental disaster ($1 billion and counting). The dynamic showed what happened when large corporations move into rural areas with an overwhelming economic advantage and a legal system unable to allocate liability, leaving the taxpayer holding the bag. The corporatization of agriculture has led to the hollowing out of natural systems in places and foreign investors now control about 13 million acres of US farmland. In Iowa for example, prairie has all but vanished and only about 4% of riparian environments remain intact, and habitat loss has come with the accompanying species loss. As a result, many people in the countryside must accept a dominant extractive model with limited alternatives. We see this also in Finland, where cutting down the forests has been a major economic activity for the past century. Practically no old growth forest exists south of the arctic circle. The very existence of highly protected endangered species like the freshwater pearl mussels presents a threat to corporations used to getting their way and country-folk reduced to resource extraction as a way of survival. The non-extractive, or circular, economic model is well suited to rural settings and should be a theme of the Harris administration, but adopting such models will not come without fights no matter what country they occur in.

31 Likes

The Trump voter was ridiculous. He didn’t feel she was ready to go, maybe next cycle, right now she is just back up. Three and a half years in as VP, she can literally be the POTUS if Biden strokes out today.

But the undecided. I think she just revels in being the outlier, the rebel. She will stand on doing her civic duty by not doing her civic duty.

13 Likes

No dumass she’s talking about your monkey
‘IS SHE TALKING ABOUT ME?’: Trump brings the venom in posts during Harris’ DNC speech (msn.com)
Harris continued by saying he “sent an armed mob to the United States Capitol, where they assaulted law enforcement office.”

“PEACEFULLY AND PATRIOTICALLY!” he wrote.

She continued: “When politicians in his own party begged him to call off the mob and send help, he did the opposite. He fanned the flames.”

He responded: “IS SHE TALKING ABOUT ME?”

A few minutes later, he suggested Harris “leave the Speech right now, go to Washington, D.C., close the Border, allow fracking in Pennsylvania and otherplaces, and start doing the things she’s complaining about aren’t done!”
After Harris finished her nearly 40-minute address, Trump, who regularly praises North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un and Russian President Vladimir Putin, posted: “There will be no future under Comrade Kamala Harris, because she will take us into a Nuclear World War III! She will never be respected by the Tyrants of the World!”

19 Likes

19 Likes

Gabby Giffords was fantastic. She rarely speaks in public, but each time her improvement is remarkable. She’s come so far, and is such a powerful spokesperson for gun control. Really good to see her on that stage.

And the support from Mark Kelly through it all… that man is incredible in about as many ways as there are. Don’t care he’s not a magnificent orator, and agree it was not his time to be the nominee. He’s very well placed right now in AZ politics and the Senate.

35 Likes

That speech blew me away. It was captivating in a way few political speeches have ever been. (The last time I was so rapt with engagement in a speech was Obama’s first convention speech.) It buzzed with patriotic strength, deep sense of justice, and love! Kamala’s passion is haloed by heart. Such a rare thing in politics.

28 Likes

If he cashes out now, if Trump Media goes down the shitter, Trump will run back to the loving embrace of Elon Musk, full-time, no questions asked.

9 Likes

Kerry Washington was great in both her bits, with Kamala’s grandneices and with Tony Goldwyn. The production values of this convention were extraordinary.

26 Likes

If he cashes out, he’s going to burn about 600,000 or so individual investors; some of whom have invested their life savings into DJT stock. If half of them sit out voting for him, it could seriously damage his chances of winning. I have a strong feeling he lacks the impulse control not to cash out.

The money he receives from the stock sale will not keep him out of jail if he loses. Selling will also have knock-on effects of showing that 1) he’s a scammer (duh, but his followers are slow on the uptake) and 2) he’s in it for himself (double-duh) and will gladly leave others holding the bag. Neither a good look, but will serve as a distraction when he needs people focused on his campaign.

18 Likes

Yes, I’m always somewhat bemused - and confused - by those segments. There was a time when they first started them that they seemed to have some value, but a lot of times now the “undecideds” seem like plants or representational perennial doubters.

I will say the one last night felt a bit more real. A couple of the undecided who chose Kamala addressed legitimate reasons for coming around.

Like the one who gave her high marks on the speech and basically said, “I’ve done some reading since we spoke last week, and Harris answered my questions tonight while showing me more of who she was … so I’m comfortable now” … which is a very real way people who are working through a dilemma make decisions.

21 Likes