Coronavirus Fears, Criticism Rain Down On Falwell, Liberty U

His father was a religious grifting conman who believed maybe 20 percent of the crap he peddled.

The son, he’s so stupid, he probably believes most of it. That’s what happens when you lack critical thinking skills

Stimulus. Heh.

1 Like

Is this the one? The rehearsal in question was March 10 and no cases had been reported in the county at the time (it’s a two hour drive north of Seattle). Moral: all the places that don’t have cases yet should isolate now. If you wait until you detect it, you will be too late

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/a-mount-vernon-choir-went-ahead-with-rehearsal-now-dozens-have-coronavirus-and-2-are-dead/

2 Likes

It was ever thus.

Tony Perrottet, writing in Pagan Holiday, quoted a visitor to ancient Egypt thusly:

34%20PM
09%20PM
(pp. 6-7)

Jerry Falwell Sr. was a pick pocket. Jerry Falwell Jr. is a stupid pick pocket.

4 Likes

Well…

I obviously didn’t. Shame on me.

OTOH–Falwell opened LU back up. Shame on him.

I think we both know whose shame should be substantially greater.

1 Like

No pity for him

It’s definitely tricky. I was thinking of Our Daily Bread in Baltimore - a church-owned site for daily hot meals for the poor and homeless, but located diagonally across the street from the Cathedral. A ban on retail sales would cover Our Daily Bread, but the schools issue (and others) will need more thought.

1 Like

The Governor of Virginia is taking action…

2 Likes

So if we have a dozen presumed cases, that’s only 7-8 doublings from the whole campus. 3-4 weeks.

The paper reported that three of [the students] were sent to a local hospital for testing, while another eight were urged to self-isolate.

To which each of those other eight students replied, “But, that’s why we came to Liberty University in the first place.”

2 Likes

It burns me up that I payed for a playground at a Christian day care.

1 Like

Good grief! My father, who is 85, retired two years ago after serving as a Senior Pastor of an Evangelical church for over 50 years.

Few things elicit what I would describe as righteous anger from him more than these many charlatans, hypocrites, and theological fools.

Actually, Trump may be the only other thing that ignites his fury more.

2 Likes

Don’t know if someone has mentioned it, but how are the good folks at Bob Jones “University” doing these days?

As Woody Allen once said in another context, they’re 2 steps below child molesters.

Complicated chain of lies. Fawell was thanked for giving the locals a heads up that foreign students without places to go and the like would be allowed to return. He then went on TV to complain that he didn’t understand why they had missed that he was opening the dorms generally. But not to worry only those who wanted to returned and classes were distance learning only.

He rather omitted a cheery letter he sent out - apparently to all students - announcing the re- opening.

2 Likes

“Both the City and the Governor’s office thanked Liberty for this announcement but later each reversed course and sought to criticize it after reading erroneous news stories and opinion articles,” he said.

I understand now. Jerry is not really lying when he says they thanked him. It’s just that he doesn’t understand it was a “thanks for alerting us that your advanced case of trump-infused, jesus-powered wingnuttery is about to cause you to declare biowarfare on our town” as opposed to a “thanks for doing the right thing” type of gratitude.

1 Like

Well, people like Jerry get to ignore that. They get their rules straight from God, of which they currently have two. And while the original god has been silent for so long that the Jerry people got to make up the rules as they went along, the new one’s rules - delivered via Tweet - are either right up the Jerry peoples’ alley or so non-sensical and every-shifting that they may as well not be there at all.

Perhaps it’s already been said. If so, my apologies…I just couldn’t read through nearly 300 postings here.

In this case, the apple certainly did not fall far from the tree. Though it’s hard to actually believe, Mr. Falwell, the younger, might be even more stupid than his father was.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available