Coronavirus Fears, Criticism Rain Down On Falwell, Liberty U

After nearly 2,000 students flooded back to Liberty University fresh off of spring break, the school’s president Jerry Falwell is mounting a one-man stand against the governor, local officials and The New York Times.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1300416

It’s not just UL…UWM has Covid-19 infections too!

Truth be told…
It’s not just the Spring Break students that are spreading Covidiot-45 virus…
It’s also the “Stay-At-Home-But-Instead-Went to the Beach” morons too!

30 Likes

"Of all bad men, religious bad men are the worst." C.S. Lewis

73 Likes

I think Liberty Biberty U. is going to need a shit load of insurance, once the lawsuits hit.

58 Likes

So if the local hospital is having to take Liberty U’s sick students can the hospital then sue Falwell for his reckless actions?
I’m sure the reason that he’s keeping Liberty U open is that he’s doesn’t want to, or can’t refund 2nd semester tuition. Those pool boys don’t come cheap, and they don’t give refunds.

36 Likes

You’re worried about the economic fallout of the pandemic, are you, you arrogant fool? Wait till they get done suing you. You’ll be bagging groceries for a living. You’re risking those kids’ lives. Not a good look for a guy who runs a school.

49 Likes

saying that… the school isn’t aware of any on-campus students displaying symptoms

And when they do, then what?

10 Likes

I’m sorry. The man should be jailed. This is just like the morons who are going into grocery stores and deliberately coughing on produce and bakery goods. He KNEW the risk and somehow, someway in his teeny tiny feeble brain he ‘thought’ it would be OK to put students at risk. Not only THEM but everyone they came in contact with. Where is HE hiding out while all this is happening?

42 Likes

(B/t/w…FOX News should be concerned about litigation as well…)

Falwell seems to have gone to the same teacher of manners as Trump. But he does not have Trump’s weapons.

7 Likes

Falwell hasn’t had a “Christian” thought since he became self aware.

20 Likes

They later clarified to say no “pool boy” students were displaying symptoms.

11 Likes

18 Likes

Yep. Lawsuits are going to be easy against this motherfucker. No waiver can protect against intentional acts. Pity.

27 Likes

The deceiving leech will soon find out the crazy invention of religion is a deathtrap.

2 Likes

mad

15 Likes

“We’ve lost the ability to corral this thing,” Dr. Thomas W. Eppes Jr. said he told Mr. Falwell. But he did not urge him to close the school. “I just am not going to be so presumptuous as to say, ‘This is what you should do and this is what you shouldn’t do,’” Dr. Eppes said in an interview.

Oh, heck no. You’re only a medical doctor. I think. ALSO, some CYA there, so the doctor knew the implications

Also, about those refunds:

LYNCHBURG — Liberty University offered $1,000 credits to students who decided not to return to campus residence halls because of the coronavirus pandemic, the university announced Friday.

For students returning in the fall, the credit will be available for tuition and room and board costs.

Graduating students will be provided a refund for any money left over after the credit is applied to their accounts in late April. Students not returning in the fall are not eligible.

21 Likes

Clearly Falwell and his ilk are lying. I seriously doubt their Gov. would applaud re-opening this so-called ‘university’.

Isn’t lying a sin?

18 Likes

Pretty sure the 1A is interpreted as giving pretty broad leeway to being wrong. If you say you don’t think the pandemic is that bad, that it’s mostly pretty benign, been overblown etc. etc. I think you’re on morally reprehensible but legally fairly safe grounds. If a plaintiff could prove you know that was false and said so anyway, it might be different.

24 Likes

I sort-of agree, but he has the excuse of being a fucking moron Talibangelical asshole. The woman who coughed on the lettuce (and other produce) did it on purpose, and should be thrown into a holding cell with a bunch of test-positive others. [Which is not to say that Falwell Jr shouldn’t as well, of course, on general principles.]

7 Likes

“Both the City and the Governor’s office thanked Liberty for this announcement but later each reversed course and sought to criticize it after reading erroneous news stories and opinion articles,”

“Governor, Mayor, I’m going to announce an action that will probably cause a lot of deaths in your city and state.”

“Yeah, well, um … thanks for the heads up, I guess.”

6 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available