Cornyn Tries Same Voting Rights Gotcha With Stacey Abrams As He Did With Kristen Clarke

Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX) has displayed a similar strategy recently as he cross-examines witnesses before the Senate Judiciary Committee on the racist effect of restrictive voting laws. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1370587
2 Likes

“So, Ms. Abrams, can you see my white hood and robes under my clothes today?”

“Well, Senator…”

“Gotcha! I didn’t wear 'em today. They’re at home in my closet… Wait. Strike that…”

36 Likes

The Republican Senators are clearly very comfortable interrupting Ms. Abrams while allowing white witnesses, of either party, to complete their statements.

23 Likes

He pressed further, asking if all states without no-excuse absentee voting are racist. As Abrams responded, Cornyn snapped that she was “filibustering.”

Filibustering - that’s Cronyn’s job!

21 Likes

I guess when you don’t have a good argument you have to use bad ones, but boy, I’d be embarrassed to think these cheap lawyer tricks would work on Stacey Abrams.

42 Likes

“Cornyn then cut her off and tried to move on to a different witness.”

GOP’s modus operandi with pretty much all women of color.

38 Likes

Paraphrasing AC/DC:

16 Likes

Such a clever one he is, that Cornyn.

4 Likes

Cornyn is failing at being a twitter troll, the domain where repus believe they win. Yah! GQP has the most bully trolls!

Legislating? Governing? They mess with the troll game.

World’s greatest debating whatever has gone into death spiral with loons like this.

8 Likes

They’re not even lawyer tricks, because any lawyer who tried to cut off a witness’s answer like this would be shot down by the judge (in the courtroom) or the witness’s attorney (in a deposition). This is a dumb senate trick, because the rules apparently do not allow the chair or anyone else to limit members’ inviolable right of grandstanding.

34 Likes

“a direct ramification of former President Donald Trump’s their own and the GOP’s party-wide election fraud lie”

FIFY

Stop giving them an out. They all supported it as a party, and the exceptions to the rule do not disprove the rule. Those exceptions can leave the fucking party if they don’t want guilt by association. Fuck 'em.

21 Likes

Abrams is as about as smart and focused as they come. She’s not one to stumble into a rhetorical trap.

29 Likes

Just great video ad material for her upcoming Governor campaign.

8 Likes

What is the relevance of the 2020 turnout if you have changed the rules for the next election?

26 Likes

That is what the Senate is for, after all.

11 Likes

Cornyn’s grasp exceeds his reach…

5 Likes

Motherfucker is stupid.

6 Likes

Hilarious that Cornyn thought he was going to catch Abrams in some kind of gotcha trap. Like DJ Jazzy Jeff sayin’ “I Think I Can Beat Mike Tyson”.

“…One punch, that’s all it took (oooh) he hit me in my ribs and my insides shook
Now how can I say this and be a little discreet let’s just say that my bowels released.”

7 Likes

The racism was not in the statutory text of the literacy test either. It was in the details of white poll workers just happening to mark one wrong on every black voter’s test. And not even grading the white voter test or admlnistering it at all. Plus a cop ready with a disorderly conduct and a t resisting arrest charge for anyone who dared argue.

25 Likes

Cornyn has decided he wants to be Ted Cruz when he grows up.

11 Likes