Coons: ‘Frustrations’ Among Dems After Sinemanchin Joined GOP’s Opposition To Filibuster Carveout

Sen. Chris Coons (D-DE) on Sunday highlighted the jarring difference between most Senate Democrats and Sens. Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ) and Joe Manchin (D-WV) when it comes to the urgency of passing voting rights legislation, citing the senators’ vote last week joining all Republican senators in voting against a filibuster carveout.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1402381

Great. Coons is all sound and fury signifying nothing. I really wish the Senate Democrats and Biden would stop providing political cover for Sinema and Manchin. They supported the filibuster which killed voting rights and any other Democratic agenda items. You cannot say, “Well, all fifty Democrats were for voting rights!” when in actuality it is only 48 Democrats with 2 Democrats joining with the Republicans to block the bills. And he says, “We are going to keep fighting!”

What does that mean Senator Coons? It’s a throw away line.

2 Likes

No I think it’s more like coordinated messaging.
And it’s good messaging considering it’s directed at independents, "Z"s and minorities.
“Republicans don’t want you to vote”.

27 Likes

Everyone knows what Sinemanchin did.

The other 48 did all they could.

The spotlight should be on the former and them alone.

15 Likes

The effect of their vote is to draw media attention away from the fact that no GOP Senator supported voting rights. The narrative could have been GOP Supports Jim Crow. Instead it is Democrats In Disarray. Beyond the policy effects, their vote is torpedoing the Democrats’ chances to open a lead in the generic ballot.

26 Likes

We really need targeted ads in GOP districts highlighting “your rep voted against repairing this bridge (or whatever the local popular action is)”

ETA, we also need judicial & executive confirmations to continue. Thus, are forced to live with Sinemanchin.

13 Likes

Wait…I thought the Dems were gaining in the generic ballot?

4 Likes

A post of mine from another thread

["We need every Democratic vote. But Sinema is not the kind of person who responds to any logic but hers. Right now, Pelosi, Schumer, Biden and Harris have this problem with her (and Manchin).

All of the above individuals are above my Pay Grade and I am hoping against hope that they can MANAGE both Manchin and Sinema, both of whom are capable of giving 100% in exchange for 0% and 0% in exchange for 100%."]

I agree with @generalsternwood and his assessment. This was a bunch of Performative Art gone bad. But while journos are falling all over themselves in patting Manchin and Sinema on the back, I would encourage them to note that all 50 GOP Senators are against

(1) Voting Rights

(2) The Child Tax Credit in BBB

…their opposition to both will cause real suffering

13 Likes

Like their rethug counterparts, Joe and Kyrsten put themselves before all else especially before the needs of the country and their fellow citizens.

9 Likes

Thank you for joining posters who spell out what the recalcitrance of Manchin and Sinema CAUSES:

suffering to real people

It seems the political narrators are hooked on sports metaphors and who can play the donor game the best

13 Likes

It hopefully means that just as with the BBB Dems will break the larger bills up and continue bringing the bills to the floor. If nothing else but to highlight GOP obstruction to voting rights and elements of the BBB that would be good for their constituency.

14 Likes

Exactly what it means…and we need some robust messaging to the public spelling out what you describe and that a number of GOPers presently in the Senate voted for voter protection in the past

7 Likes

The irony
Joni Ernst sounds battlecry to ‘fight for Democracy’ in Ukraine after opposing voting rights in America - Raw Story - Celebrating 18 Years of Independent Journalism

17 Likes

The one who claimed to castrate pigs is a phony.

13 Likes

You would think so, right? 538:

1 Like

I think what he’s signifying is that they’re hypocrites. He’s pointing out that they voted for the legislation and then voted against a filibuster carveout that was the only way to pass it. This is a way to put pressure on them without yelling at them and calling them names. If they feel enough heat they might think of a way out of their predicament.

15 Likes

Why not simply say Sinema and Manchin sold everyone out. Plain and simple. Damn, it is like nuance is going to save the day here.

2 Likes

Sinemanchin?

Me, I prefer Manchinsenema…

Just saying…

7 Likes

Considering we’ve always been a big tent party capable of handling diverse viewpoints in our camp, it’s actually remarkable the backlash we’re seeing now against Sinema and Manchin. And it’s not just coming from the usual progressive suspects. Even their sober-minded, chin-stroking cautious colleagues in the Senate have had enough. If Congressman Gallegos is to be believed - and I do - even Senate Democrats are calling for Sinema to be primaried. When’s the last time that happened?

This will likely do nothing to change their minds, but a line in the sand needed to be drawn and so it has been.

13 Likes

It’s actually two buildings, a Mansion and a Cinema.

6 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available