Cook Political Report Moves CO Senate To Lean Dem After Gardner Supports SCOTUS Vote | Talking Points Memo

That’s an interesting take. Trump’s staunch supporters do tend to be in your face types, not shrinking violets. The quiet ones who say they don’t know may just be trending Biden.

8 Likes

It seems to me that in order to be safe, Trump has to steal not only the Presidency but also the Senate. We should start to see more machinations toward that as election day gets closer.

1 Like

It’s not even a question of coattails: Gardner is widely disliked in Colorado, and has been for a long time. His greatest achievement is becoming so known for ducking his constituents that even the local news anchors make jokes about it. Reversing himself on Supreme Court nominees is just one last lick of Trump’s boots before he’s shown the door.

11 Likes

Embarrassment is certainly a cause, lots my neighbors has yard sings for Romney, very few for Trump, but they voted for him anyways, because her emails.

Also reading the comment sections of the wingnut blogs, I have seen several people saying that they refuse to state to their position to pollsters because they see them as part of the mainstream media hellbent hurting Trump.

2 Likes

The fact that Cook had this race at “Toss-Up” until today is nonsense. Cory Gardner is Dead Man Walking, and absolutely everyone knows it.

8 Likes

Cook Report and Crystal Ball are always like this. They don’t make radical shifts in their ratings. Cook in particular is more focused on fundamentals (their PVI index for example), and while they do eventually make changes based on continued polling indicating a shift, they aren’t going to do so like say a Silver or Cohn or Wang would do, whose models are much more sensitive to polling.

That being said Gardner has been toast for months. Same with McSally.

13 Likes

All the replies I have gotten from Gardner are non-responsive to the issues raised. Some staff member simply selects the talking point memo that is on the same or remotely similar topic and hits the “send” button. When we were in Nebraska I got more individualized replies and even a phone call from Chuck Hagel’s office.

5 Likes

Agreed. And although they were BS, they were individualized. But they did stop responding after my 10th letter or so.

4 Likes

That’s fair. :grin:

1 Like

My wife has a large collection of responses to “Dear Mr.” That’s some serious individualizing.

5 Likes

Chuck Hagel is the kind of Republican that Trumpism has turned into an artifact.

5 Likes

Jason Crow, a Democrat, won Coffman’s seat in 2018.

2 Likes

And I’m all for keeping 2020 voters scared, so that they show up at the polls / ballot boxes.

10 Likes

AZ, CO, Maine look like pretty solid pickups.

Just need my state of NC to flip as well and we should have at least 50.

7 Likes

He has never met with the public when he visits our rural county or the one adjacent to us. He only shows up at Republican Party events requiring a moderately expensive ticket. My guess is you couldn’t even buy a ticket unless you could verify you’re registered as a Republican.

7 Likes

Chuck Hagel is also a Republican who openly supports Biden.

6 Likes

People need to show up even if its going to be a landslide in their state. We need a overwhelming win.

13 Likes

Cunningham is up steadily over Tillis in all the polling I’ve seen.

11 Likes

He is, but NC is pretty close.

3 Likes

I have a lot of family there (I’m next door in East Tennessee) and they tell me that they don’t know anyone who is satisfied by Tillis’ performance—including a lot of people who voted for Tillis.

8 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available