Cook Political Report Moves CO Senate To Lean Dem After Gardner Supports SCOTUS Vote | Talking Points Memo

Lol, Cory! Come January, he’ll be just another lobbyist for the oil & gas industry

3 Likes

Wishful thinking? I hope not.

2 Likes

There aren’t enough Magats to vote for Gardner to save him in Colorado.

3 Likes

Lean Dem?
Like listing to port?
Somebody needs to tell Cook that the S.S. Colorado is about to capsize onto its port side!
Leaning, my ass.

2 Likes
3 Likes

The problem is that the SC is going to move hard right shortly, and the core of that cabal is quite young and could affect the Court for generations. So sure, Gardner may lose, but the damage will have already been done. Also, watch, depending on how the confirmation vote progresses, Gardner may be allowed to switch his vote, or Collins may switch her vote if needed.

As other pointed out, they are conservative in changing their ratings. Furthermore, at least in part their conservatism is based on the power of incumbency: note the flip case of Colorado – Alabama where Jones appears to be down by double digits yet they only rate it as “Lean Republican”.

While undecideds certainly represent an uncertainty for prognosticators, I am not sure it is reasonable to assume that they are simply shy trumpers. First of all, much of Trump base is proud of its trumpism. Second, there are much fewer undecideds this time around so even if “shy trumpist” argument is valid, its strength is diminished. Finally, undecideds traditionally break at least somewhat against incumbent on the election day.

1 Like

As everything else trumposts do and say, this is illogical. By replying to pollsters they would increase those low pro-Trump numbers while remaining anonymous to everyone with a possible exception of a person on the other end of the poll call.

But again, they think that the millionaire brat from New York City is one of them.

1 Like

Whose oil & gas industry? The Saudis and the Russians have created OPEC+ just to sustain oil prices around the $40 a barrel level, a level below where US frackers can compete. Also so much aquifer destruction. If any case is allowed to move forward on protecting the subterranean environment, it is game over for these people. This is a major reason for seizure of the courts. I really don’t see what Cory offers. He was a mediocre lawyer and reversing the fate of the frackers will depend on geopolitical changes. China, which burns over half of all the coal in the world, has actually increased coal consumption to 10% above pre-covid levels, and approaching the 5 billion metric ton level. Part of this is the resurfacing of the old “ultra-efficient” coal burning plant propaganda, the latest iteration of the “clean coal” nonsequitur. Perhaps Cory could get a job with the Chinese as a lobbyist? They still believe in the incredible gullibility of Americans. The US gets about 20-30% of its carbon emissions in the form of “embedded carbon emissions” contained in products imported from China.

Maybe I’m feeling too much doom and gloom, but I think the death of RBG is going to really motivate Republicans and especially evangelicals. They have got to be salivating over the likelihood that they can do away with Roe v Wade and also, of course, Obamacare. It’s my opinion that this election is going to get a LOT tighter and, in fact, I think these events pretty much ensure Trump will win. We will probably keep the House and might get the Senate, but I think Trump will be re-elected. And we haven’t even seen all the other dirty tricks they’ve got lined up. A report that a vaccine is being released, whether or not it is true, will help Trump tremendously too, since he can claim it was due to his leadership. Feeling very depressed here.

One of the messages on the stump should be that Trump commit to leaving nicely. No such promise of gentlemanly behavior has been forthcoming, and it really could throw the country into further crisis. All senate competitors should also be on the record that they support a peaceful transition of power.

3 Likes

Slightly off topic but not sure if anyone has seen this yet. Im sure some of you have. This young lady here in Virginia runs Less than Lady Like Candle Company. She did a tik tok video telling McConnel to go eff himself and created a candle in honor of RBG. Half the price of every candle was going to be donated to Amy McGrath to help unseat Moscow Mitch. Since she started that last Friday she has raised over $40k and donations have been rolling out in buckets of $2k each. So far McGrath, Hikenlooper, Gideon, Greenfield, Cunningham, Peters, Kelly and Harrision have recv a $2k donation thanks to the internet buying her candles. I of course bought two, one of each scent. https://www.facebook.com/lessthanladylikecandleco

3 Likes

I love the gentle language - “a change of heart.” It should say, “which exposes him as the lying asshole we know all Republican Senators to be.”

4 Likes

Na na na na, na na na na, Hey Hey, Good Riddance!

Nor will any promise of gentlemanly behavior be forthcoming. That sort of thing has never been in Trump’s makeup, and his dementia is accentuating things.

1 Like

I doubt it would help either of them because it will be so transparently a vote just to pander for votes and not one they would have cast Nea if it mattered. That would be incredibly easy to advertise about…

Do you think he is in the early stages of dementia? Sometimes I think so, but other times it seems that he is just spoiled and poisonous.

1 Like

Colorado is part of “flyover country.”

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available