Constitutional Sheriffs Refuse To Follow Or Enforce Illinois’ New Assault Weapons Ban

This article is part of TPM Cafe, TPM’s home for opinion and news analysis. It was first published at The Conversation.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1446720

This gent appears to be well fed. I doubt he could run much at all to catch them evil doers.

22 Likes

If the Sheriffs are not going to enforce the laws of the state, why should the state fund them?

36 Likes

Provides new context for “I shot the sheriff”

4 Likes

I very much dislike the “Constitutional Sheriffs” name.

These dumbasses are violating their oaths taken to uphold the US and various State constitutions.

More like, “Insurrectionist Sheriffs.”

29 Likes

Posse Comitatus. “That was a white supremacist, antisemitic right-wing movement in the 1970s.”
Why does it seem that so many of these ideologies on the Right involve antisemitism? Combined with one that involves the enforcement of gun laws is not, to say the least, at all comforting.

17 Likes

So, would these constitutional sheriffs be OK with a religious nonprofit from out of state dropping off crates of unregistered guns in poor urban neighborhoods? Yeah, didn’t think so.

It’s all fun and games until “those people” are getting armed.

15 Likes

Answers the question: What if your local Sovereign Citizen had a gun and a badge?

17 Likes

It’s all the bologna he skims off the top at the local hoosegow.

5 Likes

Here’s the deal, dude: You refuse to observe your oath and do your job, you don’t get paid. You choose. You choose, NOW!

7 Likes

Cornfield Sheriff would be thankful for the free campaign ad. As a bonus, it isn’t even his mess to clean up.

2 Likes

We have a huge problem with sheriffs in this country. I have lost count of how many of these guys get elected and suddenly decide they are a government unto themselves. The only one I know who actually got successfully prosecuted (after decades of abusing his power) is Arpaio and of course he was pardoned by Trump.

If an elected official refuses to enforce the law, his primary job, there should be a mechanism to remove him from office quickly and completely.

31 Likes

Let’s see one of these sheriffs who refuses to enforce the assault-weapon law hauled into court when someone he allowed to violate it shoots up a bunch of people. You know that’s going to happen.

7 Likes

They can “believe” whatever they like, but until a law is adjudicated as unconstitutional they are sworn to up hold that law. In the meantime, should I or anyone in my family be impacted by gun violence where that gun violence would otherwise have been prevented by a sheriff doing their job, I or my family will be happy to sue that sheriff into oblivion.

15 Likes

Those sheriffs took an oath to uphold the constitution, and, as a result, rightly see the Illinois law as being unconstitutional, as it violates the 2nd Amendment.

1 Like

Fire that bastard.

2 Likes

The association, which Mack founded after former President Barack Obama’s election,

Is there anything in particular that may have pushed these bigots to form this association? Asking for a friend.

18 Likes

There is a mechanism, unfortunately it takes time and doesn’t always work. It’s called elections.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong. The DuPage County sherif, western suburbs, said he won’t enforce the new law. The county board has said he must. What’s going to happen is?

6 Likes

I wonder how he would react if they outlawed donuts.

7 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available