Congressional Dems Flirt With Heading Off Supreme Court On Mifepristone

Hello, it’s the weekend. This is The Weekender ☕

If it wasn’t my job to know the working details of the simmering apocalypse we call American politics, some of the headlines this week might’ve made me think I was back in 2020.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1484742

You shall not pervert justice. You shall not show partiality, and you shall not accept a bribe, for a bribe blinds the eyes of the wise and subverts the cause of the righteous.
~ Deuteronomy 16:19

28 Likes

The Comstock Act needs to be repealed. Let’s go!

28 Likes

I found this very interesting and useful. It really narrows down all of the various forms of government that we learned back in high school civics class. It’s a helpful reminder. It also created a WTF moment in my head to adequately categorize the type of government we have now, and where it’s headed with the wannabes and has-beens fighting over its direction. It’s not long. Well worth the time. What kind of government do we have, and where is it headed?

11 Likes

It never ceases to amaze me that the Democrats in the House have not brought a resolution to the floor for impeachment of Justices Thomas and Alito. Oh, yeah, I know with the GOP in the majority, it would go nowhere, but it would send a strong message to the SCOTUS that when the Democrats eventually again gain control of both Houses of Congress, they are roadkill. Let’s face it, our democracy is pretty well passe anyway, so lets start start putting a little fear in the hearts of reactionary Justices.

15 Likes

30 Likes

The machinery of democracy still exists, but the US has been reluctant in recent decades to attempt any modifications to the constitution. The 27th Amendment was ratified by Maryland in 1789 and ratified by Nebraska in 2016. We still have undemocratic residue such as the Electoral College. And the Senate, sure. If Dems want to do anything, it should be to get out the WD40, because electoral autorcracy is about gumming up the machinery.

9 Likes

… because the Republican Speaker is the one who determines which, if any, resolutions, ever get “to the floor.”

Sure, impeach Clarence. Have the FBI investigate “Ginni”, for all that’s worth. Unless the Senate has 68 Democrats, that’s going nowhere, and let’s not forget “the optics” during an election year.

13 Likes

Raytheon sign would be a bit larger.

17 Likes

I assumed this had to be a misprint, so I looked it up, and holy cow! You’re right! That’s really surreal!

Time to get to work on abolishing the Electoral College, ASAP. I hear the movement to get rid of it started in at least 1800…

11 Likes

That is under the purview of the Attorney General, and Garland isn’t about to authorize an investigation of the spouse of a Supreme Court justice.

6 Likes

It was ratified by quite a few other states before Nebraska made it 34 states ratifying it. Not having an expiration date for ratification is what enables us to enact an 18th C amendment in the 21st C.

Stupid. You just can’t fix stupid.

7 Likes

Please entertain harassing trump via means beyond the ballot.

8 Likes

Ukraine is low on troops and ammo, but, hey, US priorities.

8 Likes

I just want to note that the RNC spending hundreds of thousands of dollars obsessing over 10,000 spoiled mail-in ballots – maybe net 2,000 votes for Team D – in Pennsylvania is so thoroughly emblematic of how fucked up their spending priorities are. Keep being you, Republicans!

38 Likes

Hope she wins:

Texas woman charged with murder in 2022 abortion sues prosecutors for $1m | Abortion | The Guardian

30 Likes

It’s their stealth technology in action.

5 Likes

As do I, but the jury pool isn’t likely to be especially friendly. The DA’s abuse is pretty terrible, but I would be even more concerned that the hospital employees ratted her out to the DA’s office. HIPAA allows criminal reporting in some circumstances, but a self-induced abortion isn’t one of them.

30 Likes

Actually, Lockheed-Martin and Northrup-Grumman have bigger lobbying budgets than Raytheon.

7 Likes

Yup. Wouldn’t be prudent. Besides, he’d have to find his way out from under his desk.
F$cking coward.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available