Congressional Dems Flirt With Heading Off Supreme Court On Mifepristone

Read this good article by Brian Beutler via a link at Political Wire. Would love to see a discussion about what he wrote here.

16 Likes

Just a reminder though that the Equal Rights Amendment was defeated. In the 1980s. Never mind that a majority of the country supported it, indeed most states had ratified it (although a handful of the usual suspects started rescinding their approval and continued to beat that dead horse for some time.)

And talk about an anodyne proposal, except for the fringe submission types of course. It boggles the mind that in 2023 the Constitution is fine with discrimination on the basis of sex or gender. As a child I never could have imagined it.

13 Likes

Boeing’s not exactly a small player there, either.

5 Likes

The House Judiciary Committee SHOULD investigate SCOTUS getting all sorts of freebies, and if Clarence and Ginni and Sammy Boy get caught in the investigative undertow, well, too bad. If all the Dems can do is dirty them up, then dirty them up.

5 Likes

I am actually looking forward the the future arguments before the California Supreme Court concerning John Eastman’s disembowelment.

9 Likes

The sign on the front of the dais needs to be like the one in MLB stadiums, with rolling ads

21 Likes

Can someone tell me why the Comstock law could even possibly be applicable now that so much regulation of prescriptions and mailing prescriptions has been enacted by law in the mean time? Don’t laws override eachother based on when they were passed - ie a law that says that all non-scheduled prescription drugs can be mailed across state lines to patients overrides an older law that says ‘abortifacients’ cannot?

10 Likes

Because reasons.

6 Likes

Somehow a stale date got imposed for the ERA, funny about that, eh?

3 Likes

That reminds me of. Baptist Church I attended once (and once only.) it had an aesthetically pleasing A-frame like construction. Instead of saints or scenes from the Bible between each structural member it had large corporate logos!

2 Likes

Oy. The eager-beaver DA’s name is Gocha Ramirez…

1 Like

When is Alex Jones ever going to be held financially accountable to the Sandy Hook parents, he needs to be declared persona non grata until he is.

7 Likes

Great quote for self-described Christians to remember. Also worth repeating to Russia’s assistant propagandists in Congress and elsewhere.

3 Likes

Actually there is a parliamentary procedure by which antumember can bring a motion to the floor. And, if brought by the Minority Leader, I believe it would merit a vote, whether losing or not.

1 Like

OT, Trump tweets out a pic of Biden tied-up in the back of a pickup.
But you have to look at it in context (i.e., “bloodbath”)

When is someone going to throw this clown in jail for terroistic threats?

22 Likes

Ideas: paint bullets, airplane banners, light projection on mar a lago,laser lights on the moon spell fuck you trump, radio jamming, super power ultrasonic waves, menacing flyovers dropping dye bombs, disruption of water supply and electric cutoff, stink bombs, more stink bombs launched downwind on days of his rallies, etc. let’s y argue this is freedom of speech. Fuck ‘em and hurt ‘em.

1 Like

Actually, expiration dates became universal in the 19th C. I don’t recall exactly when (in terms of amendment numbers) it happened.

2 Likes

These are good points. It is interesting how each of these companies eventually made it into a top 5 defense contractor slot, and who they displaced to get there. In terms of heart and punching above weight, the former American Appliance Company always gets my vote.

3 Likes

“Activist Margaret Sanger lobbied for overturning the act’s birth control provisions, which the courts did in United States v. One Package (2d Cir. 1936). This decision made it possible for doctors legally to mail birth control devices and information throughout the country.” Free Speech Center

It’s not. Thomas is saying the court might overturn United States v. One Package, the 1936 case that found the provision of the Comstock Act that had been interpreted as prohibiting physicians from using the mail to provide abortion information was unconstitutional. Given how they overturned Roe the anti-abortion movement feels Thomas and Alito might come to their rescue.

8 Likes

Is that a real license plate? Or something he, you know it’s a he, ginned up and gets away with, because reasons.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available