Colorado Election Deniers Had A Bad GOP Primary Night

A slate of election deniers seems to be headed for defeat in their push for GOP nominations that would allow them to run elections in Colorado. The primary was Tuesday, and results are still coming in, but as of Wednesday morning things look grim for the fringe candidates.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1422020
1 Like

The pride of Colorado CD-3 lives to fight another day. Because even a purple state has its share of wingnuts.

12 Likes

Colorado is not a red state.

12 Likes

"Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-CO), the far-right congresswoman who Peters said “encouraged me to go forward with the imaging” of the county’s election machines — "

If Boebert encouraged Peters to commit felonies (for which Peters has been charged,) doesn’t that constitute a conspiracy in furtherance of multiple felonies? Or is the integrity of American elections and “equal justice” not a concern of the FBI?

18 Likes

That’s an excellent photo of Peters!

5 Likes

Seems to indicate that one can be a conservative – lacking compassion, not understanding anyone’s problems except one’s own and those of one’s class, and/or bigoted, racist, and happy to plump for the same – but still be rational. Sort of. At some level.

4 Likes

Colorado is 100% Democrats at the state level with two Dem US senators but still purple, not guaranteed blue.

8 Likes

I hope the Colorado election results are a national harbinger (minus Pistol Packing Lauren).

11 Likes

Not “conspiracy” but “complicity” - A person is legally accountable as principal for the behavior of another constituting a criminal offense if, with the intent to promote or facilitate the commission of the offense, he or she aids, abets, advises, or encourages the other person in planning or committing the offense. Colorado Revised Statutes 18-1-603

15 Likes

This is truly all of us dodging yet another Trump fired bullet.

9 Likes

Colorado 3rd got a whole lot redder during redistricting, from R+7 to R+12+/-. Lost a good chunk of the more liberal ski country to CO 2, and picked up a good sized chunk of the southern plains (think Texas). A lot of people who would normally vote D voted for Coram, mostly to try to stop the embarrassment, but to no avail. Ratf#%king is still kind of new to us, so apparently we’re not very good at it. So it goes.
Adam Frisch is the more centrist of the Dems and should play well with the anti-Qbert sect. Look for the general to be significantly closer.

8 Likes

“Equal Justice Under Law” is carved in stone at the Supreme Court but it never really has existed in America. And that is sad. If one has a pile of money and a sharp lawyer the law can be averted. Trump has demonstrated this repeatedly before, during and after holding office. That he was ever elected is a real stain on the history of America.

6 Likes

“Look for the general to be significantly closer.”

I hope that’s the case, but the vote totals in the primary don’t warrant much optimism.

For 2020, under the old district boundaries, here are the primary vote totals:
GOP: 107,483
Dem: 106,577

For 2022, under the new district boundaries, here are the primary vote totals:
GOP vote total: 123,056 (increase of 15,573 votes, or +14%)
Dem vote total: 55,194 (decrease of 51,383, or -48%).

While I’m sure some of this is due to the new boundaries, a decline of 48% on the Dem side is unfortunately in keeping with the general pattern of huge declines in the Dem voting in midterm elections.

In 2020, Boebert won with 51.3% to her Dem opponent’s 45.4%. Unless Frisch turns out to be an unusually compelling candidate, I think Boebert will win easily. Which sucks.

2 Likes

Rep. Lauren Boebert… won her nomination for re-election by a 30-point margin.

Is there an inordinate amount of hypoxia caused by high-altitude in that part of the state?

Jeesus.

7 Likes

I think the percentage of Americans who believe we should turn over administration of this country to churches is horrifyingly large.

Of course, all those people believe it’s their church that should be running the show…

11 Likes
5 Likes

I share your sentiment, mostly, but I’d like to offer a slightly different take. Having money and a good lawyer will help to minimize the weight of the law coming down on you, but it will do little to save you, (absent corruption on the part of the prosecutors). As a current example: Jizz-Lane Maxwell has a great deal of money, and yet she’s gong to be spend most of the rest of her life, if not all of it, in jail. That Avananti character is another case in point. (And, I am well aware you could cite counter examples.) But, to my mind, the biggest imbalance, the biggest failing of our “equal justice” principle, is that the poor and unrepresented, face horrific, egregious consequences for even small infractions of the law.

There are issues of white collar crime being harder to prosecute, and the state typically has to prove intent, where the crimes poor people are charged with are crimes, regardless of state of mind, and thus making it far easier to gain convictions. The solution, I often feel is not always harsher laws for the wealthy, but gentler ones for the poor.

That said, of course, as @glowgirl has scolded me for, I am unreasonably in favor of much harsher punishment for sedition. Because, you know, if you play the game of thrones, you win, or you die; and that seem fair, to me.

7 Likes

Lets not underestimate the ability of Qbert to motivate the opposition. While her Rage Machine politics may motivate her base, pretty much everyone else is somewhere between an eyeroll and completely aghast. She’s toxic to all but the far right.
Short version, even though the district leans fairly hard to the right, shes beatable.

11 Likes

Some CO Dem orgs tried to ratfuck this primary by supporting looney Lopez and Hanks. I’m glad they didn’t succeed. CO voters deserve better than hearing from those clowns all the way into November. And our Dem senator and gov will be fine in the general.

5 Likes

Were there any Democratic contests in this district? Without them I’d expect a low turnout.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available