Chutkan Will Let Jack Smith Make New Immunity Arguments, Possibly With New Evidence

Originally published at: Chutkan Will Let Jack Smith Make New Immunity Arguments, Possibly With New Evidence - TPM – Talking Points Memo

U.S. District Judge Tanya Chutkan on Thursday granted Special Prosecutor Jack Smith’s request that the government present an opening brief to defend its superseding indictment under the Supreme Court’s new presidential immunity regime.  In making the request, the government had also indicated that it had new evidence, not currently part of the indictment, to include.…

2 Likes

Please please please let this evidence go public before the election, and please let the media grow some cajones and not let it drop.

ETA: Holy smokes, I’m first?

76 Likes

Let this come out a week before election day. October surprise…

28 Likes

Judge Chutkan is not playing around. She means to get this case on track.

53 Likes

Oh goody, new evidence and new arguments. I guess that is fair since we have an entire new system of legal jurisprudence with the idea that presidents are immune for official acts.

31 Likes

The statement about Thomas is really something. And if any aspect of this specific issue ends up in front of the Supremes, it is inconceivable that he wouldn’t have to recuse.

52 Likes

Agreed. But he probably wouldn’t because RVs.

44 Likes

We also have an entirely new federal government. Our Congress and President are minor actors, while the Supreme Court discards or invents law to suit its political preferences; and every federal agency is a vestigial organ waiting to turn its workload over to law clerks under John Roberts and Harlan Crow.

It also remains to be seen whether the franchise will extend to all white males, or just members-in-good-standing of the Heritage Foundation.

31 Likes

Yes, he should recuse. Lauro blurted that out for a reason. Ya gotta wonder if there are conversations between Team Trump and Thomas’ office. Just thinking outloud.

37 Likes

Lauro is either (a) incompetent and stupid, or (b) so beholden to his moronic client that he–Lauro–is prepared to appear incompetent and stupid.

46 Likes

Every handler needs a cutout to his agent.

23 Likes

This was supposed to be in reply to @clearwater :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

I am sure that any member of the Federalist Society in good standing is an honorary white person if not actually white.

9 Likes

Earlier, the better. Early voting starts very soon and if people are mad it might motivate them to come in or turn in their ballot.

16 Likes

I doubt that Thomas or Ginny or even Cannon. are quite stupid enough to leave a paper trail of conversations with Trump’s legal team, but the fact that Lauro let slip that he knows that Thomas routinely uses his concurrences as marching orders to his allies gives away the whole game. Impeach the bastard the second Democrats regain the House.

48 Likes

I figured that out…

5 Likes

God Bless Judge Chutkan. She ready to do her job and could not care one bit about the corrupt SCOTUS reversing her on appeal. She is actually calling balls and strikes with integrity, as opposed to corrupt, bought and paid for Justice Roberts who only pretends to call balls an strikes fairly.

49 Likes

¿Por qué no los dos? Both “appears” to be, and “is”

9 Likes

I understood Lauro to just be overplaying the fact that Thomas’s concurrence raised the issue as Thomas “directing” it to be raised – not a disclosure of a side communication from Thomas. Thomas is corrupt as all hell but not dumb enough to do that. (Even if he did though, unfortunately it’s actually inconceivable that he would have to recuse, since there are no recusal rules binding on SCOTUS justices.)

22 Likes

“Sorry. Your Honor, I meant Ginny Thomas directed us. My mistake”.

45 Likes