Cheney: GOP Can Turn Corner From Trump By Rejecting Extremism Behind Capitol Attack | Talking Points Memo

Rep. Liz Cheney (R-WY) on Monday argued that the Republican Party can “turn a corner” from former President Trump by outright condemning symbols of extremism that were on full display during the deadly Capitol insurrection that Trump incited.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1369341

Just a moment, Liz.

Your party has been getting in bed with these Types for FOUR YEARS, if not more…

Now we’re supposed to be giving you sympathy because the rattler you’re waking up next to decided to bite you?

That’s kind of a heavy lift, isn’t it?

By the way, I haven’t forgotten all those kids your old man got killed when he lied them into Harm’s Way in the wrong country.

26 Likes

GOP can turn the corner from trump by insisting that Trump get prosecuted for all his crimes, . . . ALL his many crimes. Got that Liz? Why don’t you lead the effort.

18 Likes

Rep. Liz Cheney (R-WY) on Monday argued that the Republican Party can “turn a corner” from former President Trump by outright condemning symbols of extremism that were on full display during the deadly Capitol insurrection that Trump incited.

Turn a corner? Too late, Liz. They’ve already gone around the bend.

15 Likes

Because talking about holding an administration criminally responsible makes her dad hyperventilate?

11 Likes

She’s delusional. They see the extremism as their ticket to permanent power. It’s part of the end game and the all-out gambit. They’re committed now and there’s no going back, only forwards, further, deeper and more and more and more extreme, doubling down on everything over and over and over until they get the all-out war they want.

8 Likes

Twelve years ago I would have NEVER considered Liz Cheney to be a voice of moderation away from extremism in the Republican party. How times have changed. It just goes to show you how fast the political ground has moved to the extremely-extreme far-right whackadoodle in the GOP.

Maybe Mussolini was to the left of Hitler after all.

7 Likes

Sorry Liz to be the one to tell you but the GOP is the party of Goobers…extreme Goobers who are not interested in a functioning two party system anymore. Autocracy is the order of the day for them. Compromise is a baaaad word. And McConnell is absolutely uninterested in passing a goddamned thing if he can at all stop it. Even if his people like whatever it is. The senate is broken, utterly irretrievably broken. And accomplished by Mitch/trump.
The only way out short of a Constitutional Convention to update the document, is to elect democrats such that there are 61 or more democrat senators. That is the only way to have a functioning government.

8 Likes

They have already lost the “all-out” war they thought they wanted. Republicans can double down on their extremism all they want, take a look at the corporations that are lining up against them. Yesterdays dismal turnout for their White Lives Matter campaign tells the tale. They have already lost.

17 Likes

Pretty weak tea, plus it’s politically dishonest. The Trumpian shittiness is what got Rs in power. They used this to enact extremely unpopular policies.

Cheney acts like the policies are popular and that only Trump’s shittiness sabotaged Rs political rejection. This is the definition of assbackwards.

18 Likes

If they want a break from Trump, a resolution should be put in front of both Houses stating that Biden/Harris fairly won the election. Gives protection in numbers.

5 Likes

I wonder who she thinks she’s speaking to.

14 Likes

I bet her dad told her to say this.

3 Likes

Rep. Liz Cheney (R-WY) on Monday argued that the Republican Party can “turn a corner” from former President Trump […]

It’s odd how the party so easily “turned a corner” from her father’s administration.

Maybe that’s what inspires her to make this statement.

You’re much more succinct than I am.

3 Likes

Maybe reject this crap too?

6 Likes

Oh, Liz; that’s just precious.

Cheney replied that the Republican Party needs to be “willing to speak the truth” by debunking unfounded claims of a “stolen” election.

It does not mean that there was not fraud. It does not mean that there are not improvements that can be made,” Cheney said. “But we are a nation governed by the rule of law.”

This is an example of “talking out of both sides of your mouth.” So, what was it, Liz, stolen, or not stolen? It’s a cowardly statement. She can’t just say “It was clearly not stolen.” She has to qualify it.

11 Likes

It seems like I hear this term thrown around…I’m trying to remember…Free…Markets? I think that’s right. Gov. DeSantis interfering in a private business’ choices seems…contrary…to that principle they purportedly hold so dear.

12 Likes

Chuck Todd.

15 Likes

So, the GOP penance is to say one “Hail Mary” and one “Our Father”, and to sincerely regret their sins.

Just what substantive (e.g. real and significant) reforms in the way her corrupt party operates is Liz prepared to sponsor? Are they prepared to expel Trump and his crew for instigating and supporting an insurrection against the government that resulted in a takeover of the Capitol?

Is it smug to suggest that my expected answer is “Nope. Thought not.”?

This is vaporware.

4 Likes

Liz obviously knows something we don’t. My guess: she’s not on the “not to be rounded up and hanged” list, and she knows it.

7 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available