California Bar Says It’s Not Buying Eastman’s Rationale For Delay, Citing Recent Interviews

Eastman’s career is toast. He just doesn’t seem realize it yet. Maybe he will begin to understand after they revoke his law license.

10 Likes

Eastman should run for President then appoint a new California bar that is stocked with his handpicked goons. They should be able to reinstate him before his term is over.

4 Likes

Exactly. And, if trusted, then what do oaths mean?

It’s remarkable to see this corruption, this violation of oaths, in an era of disaffected religious fanaticism.

9 Likes

Your statement certainly ought to be true. But it’ll only work out as true if we manage to avoid putting Trump, or DeSantis, or whomsoever is the next GOP fascist candidate into office. Because if they wind up in power, Eastman’s going to be Attorney General, or, I suppose, Jeff Clark’s Deputy Attorney .General.

6 Likes

I’d say Eastman has a right to assert the Fifth Amendment in a disbarment proceeding, just as anyone has a right to assert the Fifth Amendment in a civil lawsuit against them. However, a civil case jury is allowed to draw negative inferences from an assertion of the Fifth Amendment to consider along with other evidence. Possibly the rules for a disbarment procedure are different with respect to what the presiding officers can think.

6 Likes

He will likely be disbarred before he is charged criminally. So the entire “dilemma” of 5th amendment vs. civil case, will go away. No?

9 Likes

Looking forward to the lack of head protection these traitors get as they’re pushed into the squad car, especially Trump.

5 Likes

I’ll admit that my knowledge of attorney disciplinary hearing procedure is minimal, but I imagine it’s similar to civil procedure, since most administrative procedure is modeled on civil procedure to begin with.

1 Like

I thought there was a rule about lawyers pleading the Fifth. I thought that a lawyer pleading the fifth, which Eastman certainly did, a lot, during his Congressional testimony, was a request to have one’s law license revoked, because it ends up looking a lot like you engaged in behavior that you can’t explain without, you know, admitting to criming, which would seem problematic for someone who is, notionally, at least, an officer of the court.

13 Likes

Who bullshits the bullshitters…

1 Like

“Needless to say, during these interviews, respondent never asserted the Fifth Amendment,”

Another GOPer counting on a kind of “holographic victory” to save him. He didn’t actually invoke 5A, but he wants this dispute settled as though he had. Like when McConnell would refuse to hold votes on bills that he asserted TRUMP would veto, accomplishing a pocket veto without having to pay the political penalty for actually vetoing the bill or voting it down.

Try that when playing Hearts. “I can take this trick because I have the Ace of Spades, so score it for me. (But I will keep the Ace in my hand so I can play it in future, because I’m not actually playing it now.)”

10 Likes

I see one minor flaw in this excellent plan. Eastman couldn’t get elected to anything by anyone. Other than that - Sounds perfect

4 Likes

Eastman seeks delay. It’s the trump way but Eastman lacks trumps charisma and bullshit ability

1 Like

Usually the evidentiary standard for administrative hearings is preponderance of the evidence.

1 Like

donald

4 Likes

Except this one, apparently:

NEVER MISS A GOOD OPPORTUNITY TO SHUT UP.

9 Likes

That’s typically the burden of proof, yes, but I’m referring specifically to what the Bar can infer from a 5th Amendment invocation. I figure it’s the same as a civil proceeding in court: they can add it to the weight of the evidence against the respondent. I’m just not 100% sure is all.

1 Like

Quis bullshitiet ipsos bullshitteres?

5 Likes

So a POS who should be in jail gets a hearing on disbarring. So what? My wife says “You shoulda been a lawyer, look what you could get a away with.” But I disagree, because I wouldn’t have been a connected, wealthy, run-in-circles-of power lawyer.

This guy has admitted, and been recorded admitting it, that he was attempting to help overthrow the US government. And he’s sitting around whining about hearings. Bundy finally gets arrested, but not before taking over federal land, leading multiple insurrections and brandishing weapons at law enforcement all over the fucking place. The tiers of justice are so incredibly far apart that it’s hard to see from one to another. A literal army of insurrectionists in suits sits around all day drinking expensive liquor, laughing and planning the next one, while poor people sit in fucking jail for mistakenly casting one fucking vote.

11 Likes

No Lie with Brian Tyler Cohen

@NoLieWithBTC

A young girl in Mississippi who was raped just had a baby after she was not allowed to have an abortion because of a Republican ban. She’s about to start 7th grade.

The crueler and more outrageous the atrocity, the more it assuages their fear of being a shrinking minority by assisting them in manufacturing the delusion of power and control…and the race to make it more and more cruel and outrageous, is because the worse it is, the more and bigger the power and control is evinces.

15 Likes