California Bar Says It’s Not Buying Eastman’s Rationale For Delay, Citing Recent Interviews

The California State Bar responded to Trump coup attorney John Eastman’s request to postpone disbarment proceedings against him, arguing that special counsel Jack Smith’s latest indictment of Donald Trump is not a good enough reason to delay the license trial.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1466018

Dear Atty. Eastman. FAFO

26 Likes

Pointing to recent interviews that Eastman has given — including one in which Eastman reiterated and justified the legal arguments he made around Jan. 6 and made a broader rhetorical argument about the need to overthrow governments

“How about if he just comes to our hearing and says the same things he said in that interview?”

48 Likes

Eastman seems to be

40 Likes

John Eastman, another guy who knows ‘all’ the rules.

23 Likes

I haven’t checked to see if I can get into comments at Morning Memo. I couldn’t at first, then could, then for at least a couple of hours could not. @kelaine, or David Kurtz, or Josh Marshall, or somebody at TPM: please have this problem fixed. It’s gotten to be more than a minor, occasional glitch.

11 Likes

It’s notable that our vaunted Constitutional structure of checks and balances has almost completely broken down: a Supreme Court that rejects Congressional regulation, a President that brushed off two impeachments, a Senate that will not convict an impeached President.

But our legal system has rules for lawyers and laws for citizens, and the means and willingness to enforce both.

19 Likes

The bar exists almost exclusively to protect lawyers. How bad must this Eastman character have screwed up to get on their bad side?

20 Likes

A: Really bad. Eastman is a corrupt goof ball who just happens to have a law degree. There’s a lot of them out there.

26 Likes

If we’re to stop this defiance we should speak to it in the language it accustomed to. Tough is a word they like a lot. So get tough. Treat this guy, Amon Bundy, Trump and Rudy like any another would be treated. Get tough. If folks have been jailed for this shit why have these guys not been?

Tools in a tool box don’t get shit done. Use them to get shit done.

27 Likes

Dear John:

ETTD, Mofo. ETTD.

17 Likes

I just emailed the site issues/tech people. Hopefully we will see some improvement soon.

23 Likes

This statement is true if you include disciplining bad lawyers as within the scope of that protection. The various mandatory Bar associations function like medical licensing boards that way. For the most part (because unfortunate exceptions always exists) both work to keep bad people from ruining their respective professions as a whole. Compare to the many Fraternal Orders of Police out there, which seem to exist for the sole purpose of keeping bad cops on the payroll.

14 Likes

With Trump, it’s all about impunity. Eastman seems to be attempting to practice impunity by association.

14 Likes

“Needless to say, during these interviews, respondent never asserted the Fifth Amendment”

Needless to say…?

Ole Johnny’s gettin’ a lil reputation, apparently  : - )

2 Likes

Hopefully the California Bar can at least get this one thing right.

6 Likes

Eric Herschmann said it best:

“Now I’m going to give you the best free legal advice you’re ever getting in your life: Get a great effin’ criminal defense lawyer. You’re going to need it." And then I hung up on him.

33 Likes

We have exceeded our news capacity. It’s running off into our waterways.

7 Likes

I believe it will. It’s not a close case, and the evidentiary bar, no pun intended, for stripping a lawyer of his license is far lower than the one for a criminal conviction.

I mean, how can someone that openly admits to trying to overthrow this nation’s system of laws be trusted with being a part of that system?

24 Likes

Shouldn’t asserting the Fifth during one’s disbarment hearing be grounds for one’s immediate disbarment?!?

7 Likes