Bolton Posts Cryptic Tweet Amid Speculation Over His Testimony Intentions

Hi all! This is my first time posting here.

I follow the situation with Bolton with great interest because I believe he’s likely to be one of the most crucial key witnesses in the impeachment saga. I’ve been confused about the House’s approach to him but Josh’s post today about the possibility of compelling him to testify in the Senate trial makes some sense. I think Bolton wants to talk but is also playing his own interests in some way.

Also I find it very weird that John Bolton, of all people, might have a positive role to play in all this by the end. But I think higher-level officials like him will have a much bigger impact with the public than diplomats and ambassadors that most people had never heard of before this past month or two. The “second-hand knowledge” thing is probably the most powerful argument in Trump’s defense in a trial (even if it’s pretty weak IMO) and people like Bolton could erase it. If he ever actually talks of course.

2 Likes

Although I’d agree that our current political situation is not good, I would caution folks from assuming that it means that the GOP have “won”. Deciding who wins means deciding on how you’re keeping score, and my own scorecard reads:

1. Brown vs Board of Education
  2. Civil Rights Act
  3. Loving vs Virginia
  4. Multiple female Supreme Court Justices
  5. Gay marriage legal in all 50 states
  6. President Obama

In other words, these drongos are freaking out, and became far more motivated to turn out, because they’ve been losing the game since the 1950s. This has allowed their Götterdämmerung to drag on a bit, but I personally believe that we’re coming up to a real “Okay Boomer” moment here after we get through the current bribery stuff, dig out the financial stuff and then get through the next election, where the “kids” are going to have more influence than ever before and the Boomers are going to start to realize that our time is passing.

Patience, people - as me ole mum used to say - “This too, shall pass”

3 Likes

Very heartening post!

1 Like

Trouble is, the Senate has to call him to testify. If they fear his testimony, they won’t call him. At least that’s how I understand it at the moment.

The situation with the judiciary is unfortunately pretty rough in even the medium term but I’d agree that the bigger picture is positive. As a relatively younger person (41) I look forward to the power of the Boomer generation receding but I feel time is at a premium given the climate and environmental situation, which still somehow gets relatively little attention, and which I’m fully expecting to devastate the latter part of my life without more urgency. And wresting power away from the GOP ASAP is urgent in that regard. Even a few short (ok, very looooong) years of Trump is causing irreparable damage.

We already know what Bolton is likely to say were he to testify in Congress (or what he might put in his book). Other witnesses who have already come forward are more compelling than he will be. Of course it would be a big media event, but substantively, Hill, Vindman, Sondland & Holmes et al are stronger witnesses.

Bolton will admit that he knew & approved of Sondland’s role as Trump’s special political envoy to get the political dirt Trump wanted from UKR sources against Joe Biden. He approved the 3 amigos team to manage the political demands & keep the policy on track.

Bolton will say that, while unusual, it was a concession to Trump to keep the overall policy goals re: UKR on track. He’ll say it was relatively harmless & fair game in politics b/c while he accepts Russia interfered in ‘16, it wasn’t decisive.Trump won on his own merits. However, Bolton will concede that w’things got out of hand’ b/c of Rudy. Rudy, he’ll say, undermined the relationship with UKR and was focused on getting the elected UKR gov’t involved in the scheme and not on limiting his political activities it to lesser players like current or former UKR prosecutors.

That was the political ‘hand grenade’ b/c Rudy was damaging the relationship w/Zelensky and helping Russia. Sondland, too, got out of control as he took further direction from Mulvaney. He will say he tried to intervene w/Volker, Sondland but to of no avail. That’s when he threw his hands up on the ‘drug deal’.

Bolton will also talk about the 7/25 call and his sense of alarm. He might volunteer that there was a potential legal issue re: the quid pro quo which is why he requested people to inform the lawyers. He’ll throw WH Counsel’s office under the bus for ar lack of follow-up. Next, Bolton will then confirm that the hold up of the military aid was a big concern of his starting in August and he tried to persuade others to push it through, including trying to persuade Trump in a direct one v one meeting. Having failed, he chose to resign for that and other reasons.

That testimony, while certainly interesting, doesn’t really add much to what others have said. It will provide a more complete account, and will also confirm that the political track was approved by key principals and managed by Trump and Rudy. We know this already.

For Bolton to really add value, he’ll have to go after Trump hard as unfit, unfocused, and easily influenced by Russian propaganda (building on what Fiona Hill said). He could repeat a lot of the assertions in the Anonymous book to underscore the point.
He will have to argue that the Russian active measures Trump is consumed by have distorted US foreign policy and are bad for the country. He should then call on
Senators to consider their responsibilities and act accordingly.

That would make his testimony historic. I don’t expect it, however, b/c he’s a Republican at the end of the day. Such testimony probably wouldn’t force the GOPto push Trump out, but it will severely weaken him as he can’t use a national security/CiC argument vs his Democratic opponent. It would more or less seal his political fate.

6 Likes

It depends on who you mean by “they”. As I understand it, either side can subpoena witnesses in the Senate trial. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Dems call Bolton, Mulvaney, and many others who have defied House subpoenas, and let Roberts decide who to compel to testify.

The Dems have nothing to fear from these witnesses, since the default position is Trump will be acquitted by the R’s. If they can potentially score home run testimony there’s no reason not to seek it at that point, IMO.

I do. He’ll play it down the middle. He’s very concerned about his place, and the court’s place, in history.

1 Like

I suggest we all ‘back-burner’ Bolton for the time being, possibly permanently.

As you say, unless he’s willing to go balls-to-the-wall in providing docs and naming names (highly unlikely), he’s of limited utility at best.

Also, he’s enjoying all of this pre-book-release power play/faux-mysteriousness/unearned attention just a little too much…

3 Likes

Seems there are those here who want to see the Dems take their strong case to the House for impeachment then to the Senate for trial without undue delay, as set out in the U.S. Constitution.

There are others who argue the constitutional route of impeaching a POTUS is not exciting enough and should instead be a slugfest in the media, drawn out up to election day.

The former group seems to believe the facts are there to prove the case in a legal format, which would be covered in the media. Win or lose in the Senate, the facts would be there for all to see.

The latter group seems to lack confidence in the facts and/or the legal process and wants to draw out the argument, loud and long, so the public won’t lose interest.

Are we trying to save our republic or are we desperately trying to keep up with Kardashians?

You are citing an article from a month ago, before the televised hearings. I suspect the numbers we see next week will not be going in the wrong direction. And for that matter, I don’t think you are correct that the numbers are going in the wrong direction at all. All the numbers I have seen have shown an INCREASE in public support for impeachment.

1 Like

The fivethirtyeight average is trending downward at the moment. But I do not think it takes into account any new polling since this week’s strong testimony.

If Dems are going to save our republic, we are going to need to the interest and votes of all those people who would rather watch the Kardashians. Republicans capture voters with catchy phrases repeated ad nauseam. Dems talk in convoluted paragraphs with latin and all that, then wonder why we lose. Why say “bribery” when you can say “quid pro quo” to impress the Starbucks crowd?

2 Likes

More mustache that man.

Thanks, I was thinking Dems could not call witnesses.

AKA Rule of law.

Sure, there is an intense propaganda war to wage. But we still need to follow the directions (Constitution) to do all we can to remove the president when his actions are intolerable.

trumpF said his ‘financial statement’…not his tax return.

1 Like

You make a good point, but the House Dems may have a trick up their sleeve. See Josh Marshall’s "Read This " post.

1 Like

Oh, I have no illusions about him voluntarily furnishing proof of anything. The tax return subpoena that’s currently pending before the Supreme Court is where this game is won or lost.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available